Cleaning tips needed

ShawnC

Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno/ JP921HotMetal / 3-GW
Driver
Walter Hagen MS2
JP921 hot metal - I received them! I had my 1st new set in 20 years!!! After doing my happy dance and taking pictures (like a noob), I began wondering what really is a good way to clean the heads. I have heard using WD40, using a glass cleaner, Water & dish soap. I do not want to mess up my new clubs, Help!

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Callaway XR 10.5 Project X Stiff
JP921 hot metal - I received them! I had my 1st new set in 20 years!!! After doing my happy dance and taking pictures (like a noob), I began wondering what really is a good way to clean the heads. I have heard using WD40, using a glass cleaner, Water & dish soap. I do not want to mess up my new clubs, Help!
I use a soft bristle tooth brush and a very very small amount of fairy liquid to get the heads clean, then dry them immediately and use a very small amount (one drop) of the club oil that I got with the clubs. Have read on here about people using autoglym car shampoo as it doesn't have any salt in it. Sounds like a great idea but not tried it yet. Good luck.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
As above really - I wouldn't go near your new bats with WD40 or anything abrasive like a glass cleaner - Warm soapy water & a tooth brush is all you need imho - Dry them off well - As discussed in another thread about rust, it is common practice to rub a small drop of oil on the heads (faces mainly) - If you didn't get any with your clubs, then use something like Rem Oil (made by gun manufacturer Remington) - Enjoy them & remember they are tools, not ornaments!
Paul

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
As above really - I wouldn't go near your new bats with WD40 or anything abrasive like a glass cleaner - Warm soapy water & a tooth brush is all you need imho - Dry them off well - As discussed in another thread about rust, it is common practice to rub a small drop of oil on the heads (faces mainly) - If you didn't get any with your clubs, then use something like Rem Oil (made by gun manufacturer Remington) - Enjoy them & remember they are tools, not ornaments!
Paul
Yes indeed 3 in 1 oil I have used for years, treat them like your own hands they are tool not jewels.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Carry a partially damp towel and clean & dry after every shot. This prevents gunk & moisture build up. Avoid using abrasive cleaning materials that scratch or could eat away the chrome plating. A drop of dishwasher liquid and a toothpick for any residual buildup in the grooves. I haven't had a need for any oil in decades of playing blades. Hit only clean (range) balls.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to keeping clubs clean. Damp corner off a towel on the course after every shot keeps them from getting too dirty & muddy. Once a month the grips get a good clean with hot soapy water. The heads get a soak and a wash in warm water with a dash of car wash ( usually autoglym shampoo conditioner) in there. I've used this for many a year and have never had any issues and clubs look very good indeed. Clubs are stored without headcounts and in a well ventilated area.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm pretty anal about taking care of my equipment. All the same, I don't have any special tools like groove cutters and such. I use an old toothbrush with dish washing liquid to clean the grooves and whatever dirt might be in the number on the bottom.

What I'm particularly careful about it to dry them very well. I don't want water staying in the cavities. When I wipe each club dry, I seem to have developed a habit of wiping the shaft with the towels too.

Since I use graphite shafts, I also look around the hosel area of each club to see if there's any damage from bag clatter.

Besides my clubs, I tend to check my bag every week to make sure I have enough balls, plus tees and some coins in a ziplock bag.

And I can make one god awful mess around the living room if I've been rained on, taking everything out to dry.

Top Bottom