HCP
Local club/country
Ombersley/England
Irons
MP-53 3-pw with Project X5.5, S18 51 & 56 with Project X 5.5
Driver
ST180 with Tensei orange band stiff
Guys,
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but does anyone enjoy the feel of the chromoly irons?

I tried out the 223's the other evening against my trusty MP53's. I was really disappointed with the hard, clicky feel.

I really want to replace the 53's but with what? I'm not good enough for 221's or JPX Tour. I've always had forged clubs and now i'm stuck with chromoly or going to another brand.

I understand the quest for more ball speed, but I miss new irons in 1025 steel. Anyone else feel the same?

Dave

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
They definitely feel different - especially if you've skipped a few generations. Not heard anyone say that the 223's don't feel good though. I;ve watched tour players switch from blades and enjoy the feel.

Chromoly itself won't feel harder - but the construction it allows us to use will vibrate differently to a one-piece design.

You are a little stuck though. The 223's and 923 Forged are very similar in construction.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Not meaning to steal the thread, but I've recently read something about feel and iron club design that I found interesting.

Long story short, it claimed a solid muscle back iron would feel best. It claimed a forged iron with an under cut wouldn't feel as good and blamed the loss of feel on the under cut design. Your thoughts?

HCP
Local club/country
Ombersley/England
Irons
Driver
They definitely feel different - especially if you've skipped a few generations. Not heard anyone say that the 223's don't feel good though. I;ve watched tour players switch from blades and enjoy the feel.

Chromoly itself won't feel harder - but the construction it allows us to use will vibrate differently to a one-piece design.

You are a little stuck though. The 223's and 923 Forged are very similar in construction.
Yeah. I'm a few generations away. Maybe we've been spoilt with the irons form the past...

HCP
Local club/country
Ombersley/England
Irons
Driver
Not meaning to steal the thread, but I've recently read something about feel and iron club design that I found interesting.

Long story short, it claimed a solid muscle back iron would feel best. It claimed a forged iron with an under cut wouldn't feel as good and blamed the loss of feel on the under cut design. Your thoughts?
I'd agree with that. The 8, 9 and wedge are musclebacks in the 53's and feel wonderfull. The rest, with the undercut, do feel good but not on the same level as the others.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Yeah. I'm a few generations away. Maybe we've been spoilt with the irons form the past...
One of my golfing friends has a set of MP-52s and i love hitting them on the range. I'd be a lot of shots worse off with them on the course though.

drunkenmunky

HCP
Local club/country
http;//www.broadstonegolfclub.com
Irons
JPX 923 Forged 5-Pw UST recoil ESX shafts
Driver
Ping G430
One of my golfing friends has a set of MP-52s and i love hitting them on the range. I'd be a lot of shots worse off with them on the course though.
Good job you have a new putter then....😉👍

Top Bottom