Chrome finish coming off of clubs

HCP
Local club/country
Windyke Country Club
Irons
JPX900 Hot Metal
Driver
Ping G400
I purchased my first set of new irons when I purchased my JPX 900 Hot Metal's 3 years ago. At nearly $1000 it was probably the most expensive thing I've ever bought next to a house or car.

After 3 years of normal use, the chrome finish has either completely flaked off or is nearly flaked off in one certain spot on early every iron. It's on the back of the club, on a part of the head that's indented so it really doesn't come into contact with much. I was just wondering if others on the forum have noticed this? Did I just get a bad set or is this a known problem? I've babied the clubs so I really don't see how it could be a misuse thing.

IMG_20200623_180934_2.jpg
IMG_20200623_180949_2.jpg

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hello ... I can certainly understand your frustration after paying a substantial amount on your "babies" - The area you describe & show pictures of is not chrome however - It is a paint finish & has been used widely by Mizuno on their clubs in the last 10 or more years - Unfortunately it does wear off & there is nothing really that can be done to prevent this happening, or (in my experience) repair it - I've not tried it on your particular clubs, but on others I have managed to remove the paint finish once it started to get scruffy looking - I have done this by gently scraping off the paint & found in these other models, they looked smarter "raw" minus the paint, than with the chipped paint? - Hope that helps?
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
Windyke Country Club
Irons
JPX900 Hot Metal
Driver
Ping G400
Thanks for the reply. I assume it's just cosmetic, correct? Losing the paint in these areas of the club head won't open me up to further corrosion or rusting or anything will it?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
No it shouldn't affect the integrity of the metal below - That said, a lot of the Mizuno irons I have had (& we're talking more than 20 sets!) have shown small signs of rust, usually tiny marks on the face - These can be removed with a bit of metal cleaner (like you use on car chrome etc) & in the winter I usually clean my clubs thoroughly & rub in a bit of Rem Oil (gun oil) for added protection

BRUCELILY

Local club/country
Northern Ireland
Just seeing this and the same thing happened to my irons after less than a year and were replaced. I changed to the jpx919 and the same thing happened again.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
It is just paint. Not great to look at - but won't rust or cause long term damage.

BRUCELILY

Local club/country
Northern Ireland
I don’t think Mizuno are looking after the customer here. If they don’t look great as a result of the paint surely it would impact the trade in price ? I don’t think my local Mizuno trader will turn a blind eye when I trade them in or will I get any special favours.
Mizuno clearly has an issue with the coating on the Hot Metals as this is too much of a coincidence.

I know in my case that I oiled the clubs as per the warranty recommendations and the 919 irons flaked again.

Interested to hear others views on this as the clubs aren’t the cheapest in the market and I would expect the quality to at least reflect the cost

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Trade in looks at club face and sole only. Not interested in paint in-fill/cosmetics. It is all about the performance areas of the club, namely where you hit the ball with and the big stick its attached to.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Appreciate that it's frustrating. That is definitely just paint wearing away and won't impact the metal in anyway. Does happen more in the more extreme cavity type designs as there are more edges for each club to bump into. Only way to completely eliminate it is headcovers.

HCP
Local club/country
Murcar Links Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 5 - pw.
Driver
Cobra f8
Appreciate that it's frustrating. That is definitely just paint wearing away and won't impact the metal in anyway. Does happen more in the more extreme cavity type designs as there are more edges for each club to bump into. Only way to completely eliminate it is headcovers.
Head-covers are frowned on, as they promote rusting of the heads if the clubs are left wet inside the covers. That was the first question I was asked by the dealer when I telephoned to report pitting of my jpx919's.

Top Bottom