Chrome finish coming off of clubs

HCP
Local club/country
Windyke Country Club
Irons
JPX900 Hot Metal
Driver
Ping G400
I purchased my first set of new irons when I purchased my JPX 900 Hot Metal's 3 years ago. At nearly $1000 it was probably the most expensive thing I've ever bought next to a house or car.

After 3 years of normal use, the chrome finish has either completely flaked off or is nearly flaked off in one certain spot on early every iron. It's on the back of the club, on a part of the head that's indented so it really doesn't come into contact with much. I was just wondering if others on the forum have noticed this? Did I just get a bad set or is this a known problem? I've babied the clubs so I really don't see how it could be a misuse thing.

IMG_20200623_180934_2.jpg
IMG_20200623_180949_2.jpg

PaulBoy

HCP
4.7 CONGU
Local club/country
Army GC & New Forest GC
Irons
JPX919 Tour 5-PW S300 AMT
Driver
Callaway GBB (Tour Issue) MRC Tensei Orange 60s
Hello ... I can certainly understand your frustration after paying a substantial amount on your "babies" - The area you describe & show pictures of is not chrome however - It is a paint finish & has been used widely by Mizuno on their clubs in the last 10 or more years - Unfortunately it does wear off & there is nothing really that can be done to prevent this happening, or (in my experience) repair it - I've not tried it on your particular clubs, but on others I have managed to remove the paint finish once it started to get scruffy looking - I have done this by gently scraping off the paint & found in these other models, they looked smarter "raw" minus the paint, than with the chipped paint? - Hope that helps?
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
Windyke Country Club
Irons
JPX900 Hot Metal
Driver
Ping G400
Thanks for the reply. I assume it's just cosmetic, correct? Losing the paint in these areas of the club head won't open me up to further corrosion or rusting or anything will it?

PaulBoy

HCP
4.7 CONGU
Local club/country
Army GC & New Forest GC
Irons
JPX919 Tour 5-PW S300 AMT
Driver
Callaway GBB (Tour Issue) MRC Tensei Orange 60s
No it shouldn't affect the integrity of the metal below - That said, a lot of the Mizuno irons I have had (& we're talking more than 20 sets!) have shown small signs of rust, usually tiny marks on the face - These can be removed with a bit of metal cleaner (like you use on car chrome etc) & in the winter I usually clean my clubs thoroughly & rub in a bit of Rem Oil (gun oil) for added protection

Top Bottom