Build prioritization

Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 3-PW with Rifle TF 6.5 (awaiting Mizuno Pro 223 4-GW with Nippon 105 X-Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* at 7.5* with Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (Replaced Callaway FT-9 Tour 9* with Fubuki Tour 63 Stiff)
I recently found out my build is delayed until the next iron head shipment arrives September 30th. Another user was given the same info on golfwrx. This got me to wondering...

It seems like a few individuals have run into the following... A component is backordered which delays their build. Said component arrives but now something else is backordered and there's another delay. Whether this is common or not I do not know.

When does Mizuno Custom reserve components for a build? I would hope that once my spot in the queue comes up the pieces available are set aside. While I can hope, I also realize this could become a storage nightmare and prevent the build of other orders in line after mine. This sounds like a logistics nightmare.

Along the same line, when do components for a build get counted against existing stock? It seems this would happen upon receipt of an order, and if done correctly predicting when an order will ship would be fairly reliable. Obviously hiccups in the supply chain would still be problematic...

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm getting impatient. The engineer in me is curious about how they manage their component supply in this difficult environment. It has to be impossible to keep everyone happy...

If anyone has any insight I'd love to get a better understanding!

Thanks!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I would guess only a Mizuno employee could answer that for sure.

Since, according to my education, I'm an economist, (Would you like fries with that?), I'll offer one or two thoughts though.

Supply chain dynamics are strained all over, as I'm sure we've all heard. The intelligent management point of view has typically been to prioritize one component, let's say the clubhead, and use that as the foundation to start an order. The thing is, maybe the head is considered the beginning because, under normal conditions, the shafts are more easily available on a nearly immediate basis, but now, that could change.

What do you do? Maybe the heads get used elsewhere until your shafts come in and then, you hopefully match up more heads coming when the shafts arrive. Inventory can't be allowed to sit with most manufacturers. If it doesn't move, they aren't making money.

Keep in mind, this is a highly generalized scenario, but any product manufactured from components that must be brought in, instead of made in house, typically goes through this, sometimes even when things are normal.

And I know this isn't going to make you feel any better, but I bet you know a Mizuno club is always worth the wait.

Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 3-PW with Rifle TF 6.5 (awaiting Mizuno Pro 223 4-GW with Nippon 105 X-Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* at 7.5* with Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (Replaced Callaway FT-9 Tour 9* with Fubuki Tour 63 Stiff)
I appreciate the perspective. I'd expect management of the Mizuno supply chain to be fairly logical just as you outlined, which is consistent with my conclusions from reading various forums. Bottom line is if they can assemble something we should expect them to do so to keep product moving. Unfortunately this will create excessive delays for a few unlucky customers. Mizuno is doing the best they can within the constraints of the business.

I hate to admit it, but I took college economics at 7 am, my first and last early course, and ended up sleeping through the class most days. I'm an EE and don't have many direct dealings with the supply chain in my job (aside from the IC foundries). The engineer in me gets curious at times about random topics like this (and also likes to fix things that aren't broken :D). Mizuno has been quite successful. Even with long lead times they're surviving, if not thriving, in the current environment. They're doing something right.

I can't get you fries (supply chain issues), but I can get you some chips with your order... Just give me 2 to 6 months.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I can't get you fries (supply chain issues), but I can get you some chips with your order... Just give me 2 to 6 months.
Oh My God, a kindred spirit!!! Now, if you had been in the 7:30 AM class with me, it would have made all the difference.

I hope you get your clubs soon...

Top Bottom