Bending MP 30s to MP 20 HMB Lofts

HCP
Local club/country
Rock Manor
Irons
Mizuno MP 30 (3-PW)
Driver
Titleist TS3 stock
Getting older, losing distance, but don’t want to give up feel, so my question is: can my MP 30 irons be bent to modern (MP 20 HMB) lofts? I know that both offset (increases) and bounce (decreases) are effected, but does a general 2° increase in loft appreciably alter playability? If the lofts are changed, does the lie angle also change, given the difference in offset?

Experiences? Thanks!

MPDan95

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
+2
Local club/country
Newport
Irons
MP20 HMB 2&3 iron, MP20 MMC 4 iron, MP20 MB 5-PW
Driver
ST200G 7.0 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6x
I have always had my clubs bent 2 degrees strong for ball flight and I have always been happy with performance. delofting takes a degree of bounce off of each iron and adds a smidge of offset but you will get used to it after a few sessions on the range. Perfect time to hone them in over Autumn/winter ready for next season!

HCP
Local club/country
Rock Manor
Irons
Mizuno MP 30 (3-PW)
Driver
Titleist TS3 stock
I have always had my clubs bent 2 degrees strong for ball flight and I have always been happy with performance. delofting takes a degree of bounce off of each iron and adds a smidge of offset but you will get used to it after a few sessions on the range. Perfect time to hone them in over Autumn/winter ready for next season!
Thanks. 2° isn’t a lot of change and I know they can be bent but your reassurance regarding performance helps. I’m obsessed with feel, and so I experiment with shafts and tip weights and have found, for me, the perfect combination of XP 95s w/a 4 gram weight, cut down a ¼”, and Super Stroke cords. By changing lofts, I’m hoping for a more controlled flight and just a couple more yards. The heads feel so good that I keep going back to them despite trying a number of other clubs, and those are lower lofted. While they provide the distance I’m seeking, nothing can compare to the MP 30s in ball-club contact.
I’ll get this done! Cheers!

MPDan95

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
+2
Local club/country
Newport
Irons
MP20 HMB 2&3 iron, MP20 MMC 4 iron, MP20 MB 5-PW
Driver
ST200G 7.0 Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 6x
Thanks. 2° isn’t a lot of change and I know they can be bent but your reassurance regarding performance helps. I’m obsessed with feel, and so I experiment with shafts and tip weights and have found, for me, the perfect combination of XP 95s w/a 4 gram weight, cut down a ¼”, and Super Stroke cords. By changing lofts, I’m hoping for a more controlled flight and just a couple more yards. The heads feel so good that I keep going back to them despite trying a number of other clubs, and those are lower lofted. While they provide the distance I’m seeking, nothing can compare to the MP 30s in ball-club contact.
I’ll get this done! Cheers!
No problem! Hard to get clubs like that out of your hands. MP30's are a classic! is the weight in the shaft or head? My experience says about 4-6 yards. best bit for me is just that bit more ball flight control, especially when the breeze gets up.

HCP
Local club/country
Rock Manor
Irons
Mizuno MP 30 (3-PW)
Driver
Titleist TS3 stock
I have successfully (relatively so) played Ping irons from ‘86 (Eye2s) to i500s but the last set, the i500s, sent me back to the MP30s. Maybe the Recoil shafts and the no-feel head weight had something to do with it, but sorting through the various Pings, I always went back to the Mizzys. I bought them in ‘02 through the pro shop (and paid a mere $180 - pro price) where I worked at the time. I fell in love immediately! The small heads, little offset and the butter-soft contact were instantly wonderful and felt great throughout the swing. Age caught up and now I need a few more yards…cheers!

Top Bottom