Astron FWD age. Difference between Impact blue and red

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Astron FWD 3,4,5,6,8,9 SW Impact 7. Slazenger ambassador PW. Miura LW 57 TaylorMade Rescue mid 2
Driver
TaylorMade Burner 860
Hi,
just joined the forum, so hope someone could help me ID my clubs. I've been hacking around courses for about the last 10 years off 28 using a set of Astron clubs I got from a local charity shop. I'd like to learn a bit more about them as I'm thinking about taking advice on a replacement set of forgiving irons. Basically I want to know if the Astrons would be classed as forgiving and maybe (or quite probably) that the workman is blaming his tools. I'd also like to know when they were made as I can't find this information on the Mizuno website.

I have in the set, an Impact 7 iron, which has red writing on the club. I have seen these with blue writing and wonder what the difference is between the two colours and the differences between the Astron and Impact. Here is a generic pic of both clubs. I actually hit quite well with the Impact.

Thanks in advance. All information appreciated.

both astron.jpg impact.jpg

CH919Forged

HCP
Local club/country
Shandon Park NI
Irons
JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Callaway XR 10.5 Project X Stiff
Hi,
just joined the forum, so hope someone could help me ID my clubs. I've been hacking around courses for about the last 10 years off 28 using a set of Astron clubs I got from a local charity shop. I'd like to learn a bit more about them as I'm thinking about taking advice on a replacement set of forgiving irons. Basically I want to know if the Astrons would be classed as forgiving and maybe (or quite probably) that the workman is blaming his tools. I'd also like to know when they were made as I can't find this information on the Mizuno website.

I have in the set, an Impact 7 iron, which has red writing on the club. I have seen these with blue writing and wonder what the difference is between the two colours and the differences between the Astron and Impact. Here is a generic pic of both clubs. I actually hit quite well with the Impact.

Thanks in advance. All information appreciated.

both View attachment 9965 View attachment 9966
I don't know a huge amount about the clubs other than a Google search revealing they could be up to 30 years old. I've just upgraded from a 20 years old myself so I feel your pain. From the images, the big cavity back would suggest forgiving. Players irons of that age will look like something you could butter toast with. Personally I'd recommend lessons first with a good pro who will help your game and then when you're improving get fitted for clubs that will really help and you'll appreciate them more. While the current clubs might be forgiving the technology has definitely moved on. Plus lessons first and beating your mates with old gear is very satisfying. Stick with Mizuno though. You won't regret it!

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Astron FWD 3,4,5,6,8,9 SW Impact 7. Slazenger ambassador PW. Miura LW 57 TaylorMade Rescue mid 2
Driver
TaylorMade Burner 860
I don't know a huge amount about the clubs other than a Google search revealing they could be up to 30 years old. I've just upgraded from a 20 years old myself so I feel your pain. From the images, the big cavity back would suggest forgiving. Players irons of that age will look like something you could butter toast with. Personally I'd recommend lessons first with a good pro who will help your game and then when you're improving get fitted for clubs that will really help and you'll appreciate them more. While the current clubs might be forgiving the technology has definitely moved on. Plus lessons first and beating your mates with old gear is very satisfying. Stick with Mizuno though. You won't regret it!
Thanks for that reply. I did have lessons about 10 years ago and learned quite quickly, but really should go back and do that again because you made an excellent point about moving to a set of fitted clubs, but after I start to become more consistent. I do love the Astrons (and the Impact). Bought at a charity shop for £20 - emotionally attached!

LOS

Local club/country
England
I would like to have seen pictures of the original irons rather than those generic refurbed? ones. They look similar to the Altrons from the late 80's :-
1608370684237.png

According to Maltby these had an MPF of 502 which would put them into the conventional category
Conventional
401 - 550 - Better Players Only: 0-14 handicap, 450-550 points should be considered minimum popular iron design category for tournament pros who play muscleback blades. Above 15 handicap would be best moving up to game, super or ultra improve categories

There were 3 versions of the ASTRON ,late 80's through to the G3 which finished in 95.
Astron G2
1608371024925.png

See the iron timeline page on the Mizuno Website

None of the irons appear to have been submitted to see if they conform to the groove ruling and cannot be used in comps.

Have you ever had the "Loft and Lies" checked as even cast clubs will have changed over 30 years?

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
TaylorMade Burner 860
Many thanks for the reply. Here are my actual impact 7 iron, and my (dirty - played yesterday) Astron 8. The Astrons seem identical to the Altrons. Checked the timeline on the website before posting on here, but they weren't displayed. Haven't had the L&L checked either.

DSC_2997.JPG DSC_2998.JPG DSC_2999.JPG DSC_3000.JPG DSC_3001 (2).JPG DSC_3002.JPG

I would like to have seen pictures of the original irons rather than those generic refurbed? ones. They look similar to the Altrons from the late 80's :-
View attachment 9967

According to Maltby these had an MPF of 502 which would put them into the conventional category
Conventional
401 - 550 - Better Players Only: 0-14 handicap, 450-550 points should be considered minimum popular iron design category for tournament pros who play muscleback blades. Above 15 handicap would be best moving up to game, super or ultra improve categories

There were 3 versions of the ASTRON ,late 80's through to the G3 which finished in 95.
Astron G2
View attachment 9969

See the iron timeline page on the Mizuno Website

None of the irons appear to have been submitted to see if they conform to the groove ruling and cannot be used in comps.

Have you ever had the "Loft and Lies" checked as even cast clubs will have changed over 30 years?

Attachments

LOS

Local club/country
England
Timeline:-
1608397949145.png

1608398011576.png

There are no pictures for the basic Astron but the G2 Infois :-

1608398146664.png

I can't see why there should be such a difference between the basic Astron, your pics, and a 2nd generation model.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
TaylorMade Burner 860
Top Bottom