10 years ago

RMM

HCP
Local club/country
Golf St. Apollinaire (France)
Irons
MP-68 DG-S300 3, Black Nickel 4 - PW / MP-T11 Black Nickel 50/52/54/56/58/60/64 / Bobby Grace Putter / Back-up irons: MP-60 2-P, MP-67 2-P
Driver
TSi2 10 Tensei blue/ 910F 15 Kai'li / 910F 19 Kai'li
I just noticed - by coincidence - that I joined the Forum exactly ten years ago. The Forum was very active at those days, but social media was, of Course, not that strong a competitior. Anyhow, let's go for the next decade.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Wow 10 years! - Congratulations \o/ - Most marriages don't last that long? - I agree the forum has taken a bit of a back seat thanks to social media et al, but there's hopefully still some life left in the old dog yet ...
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Ten years is definitely a nice milestone.

Some weeks ago, I started a thread asking where everyone was because forum participation seemed, to me at least, to have fallen off a cliff. As you relate above, we seem to have lost people to various golf oriented pages in social media sites. What some studies by marketing companies are showing though, is that when or if people get tired of social media sites, they drop away completely from internet participation about whatever the subject might be.

Oddly, they don't seem to return to old fashioned forums like this. I don't understand why, but I suspect it's because participating about your hobbies on a social media site is more intense, not as polite as it would be here and it becomes a constant barrage. Maybe they get burned out and even a return to a gentle effort in a forum is unpalatable.

I still think the forum concept is a stronger platform for enjoying subject matter, not to mention making great friends. As usual, I seem to be in the minority.

Top Bottom