MIZUNO

Post new topic Reply to topic

Changing shafts in wedges

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Posted by Andrew Carolan


Looking to return my mizuno mp t 5 51&56 degree wedges to change shafts in them from kbs tour s flex to kbs tour c-taper lite s flex to match my irons and other wedges?
what is the best way to do this, can i arrange directly with mizuno and pay over the phone etc
thank you
andrew
DNA stats
84, 6,5,5,6
Driver Taylor Made M2
Hybrids Cobra King F7 2 & 3
Irons Mizuno MPH5 4-pw
Wedges S5 - 52 & 58
Putter Odyssey works versa no 7h
Ball Titleist Pro-Vix
Glove footjoy sci-flex
Author Information
 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 am
Posts: 59
HCP: 6
Local club/country: Nuremore GC Carrickmacross Ireland
Irons: Mizuno mp h 5 irons 4-pw Wedges: Mizuno S5 52 & 58 Putter odyssey works 7H
Driver: Driver - Taylor made m2 10.5 playing at 9.75 Hybrids Cobra King F7 2 & 3

Profile

Re: Changing shafts in wedges

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:33 pm

Posted by hursty


Search the tinterweb for a local club fitter and get them to do it.

Mizuno won't do it for you.
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 850 16° - Ahina 90 S
Mizuno JPX 850 19° - PX Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4i-PW - C Taper Lite S
Mizuno MPT-5 50/54/58 - C Taper Lite X
Odyssey Versa Works #9
Author Information
User avatar
 

Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 8:49 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Telford, Shropshire
HCP: 8.4
Local club/country: No Fixed Abode
Irons: JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, MPT-5 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 Stiff, JPX 850 16 & 19 deg, Odyssey #9

Profile

Re: Changing shafts in wedges

Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:14 am

Posted by DGMP


Andrew Carolan wrote:

Looking to return my mizuno mp t 5 51&56 degree wedges to change shafts in them from kbs tour s flex to kbs tour c-taper lite s flex to match my irons and other wedges?
what is the best way to do this, can i arrange directly with mizuno and pay over the phone etc
thank you
andrew


If your existing wedges have been played, I would not spend the money to have them reshafted.
My preference would be to buy new wedges (with the shafts I prefer).
Finally, I would hesitate to install light weight shafts within wedges. For lofted SW and L wedges, heavier weight shafts may provide a benefit.
Sorry I did not answer your question directly, but thought it would not hurt to share my opinion. Hope you don't mind.
Author Information
 

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:35 am
Posts: 44
HCP: 2
Local club/country: United States
Irons: MP5
Driver: JPX-EZ

Profile

Re: Changing shafts in wedges

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Posted by hursty


I've looked into the CTaper Lites in my wedges, cheapest I can find the shafts at are £32 per shaft, you've then got the hassle of having them installed and gripped etc.

Am sending you a pm
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 850 16° - Ahina 90 S
Mizuno JPX 850 19° - PX Black 6.0
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4i-PW - C Taper Lite S
Mizuno MPT-5 50/54/58 - C Taper Lite X
Odyssey Versa Works #9
Author Information
User avatar
 

Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 8:49 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Telford, Shropshire
HCP: 8.4
Local club/country: No Fixed Abode
Irons: JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, MPT-5 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 Stiff, JPX 850 16 & 19 deg, Odyssey #9

Profile

Re: Changing shafts in wedges

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Posted by Kgrove


DGMP wrote:

Finally, I would hesitate to install light weight shafts within wedges. For lofted SW and L wedges, heavier weight shafts may provide a benefit.


Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. When I got a new iron set last summer, I decided to get matching wedges (T5s) and continued using the same shafts as the irons. My thought process was that there would be more continuity through my full iron and wedge set. In hindsight I wonder if that is offset by the accuracy benefits of having a little heavier, more robust shaft in the wedges. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

Agree though.. possibly not worth re-shafting versus just buying new wedges, especially if the wedges have been used a bunch and might have worn grooves. By the time you pay for the club to be reshafted and regripped, you've probably paid 60-80% of the cost of a new club, especially if you're comfortable getting a T5 since they're on sale as the prior generation
Author Information
 

Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 am
Posts: 97
Location: Phoenix
HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP-5 4-PW KBS Tour 90
Driver: Taylormade R7 425

Profile

Re: Changing shafts in wedges

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 pm

Posted by DGMP


Kgrove wrote:

DGMP wrote:

Finally, I would hesitate to install light weight shafts within wedges. For lofted SW and L wedges, heavier weight shafts may provide a benefit.


Hmmm... I hadn't thought about that. When I got a new iron set last summer, I decided to get matching wedges (T5s) and continued using the same shafts as the irons. My thought process was that there would be more continuity through my full iron and wedge set. In hindsight I wonder if that is offset by the accuracy benefits of having a little heavier, more robust shaft in the wedges. I'd love to hear others thoughts.

Agree though.. possibly not worth re-shafting versus just buying new wedges, especially if the wedges have been used a bunch and might have worn grooves. By the time you pay for the club to be reshafted and regripped, you've probably paid 60-80% of the cost of a new club, especially if you're comfortable getting a T5 since they're on sale as the prior generation


I do believe relatively heavy wedge shafts may help a players green side shot rhythm and tempo.
These days 95 to 110 gram  lightweight iron shafts are popular. Many players find the weight comfortable.
My own experience with lighter weight iron shafts was that they made achieving consistently smooth tempo a bit more challenging (compared to traditional 120-125 gram iron shafts).
For wedges in particular, on fuller distance shots there may be some merit to having the shafts match the iron set. The trade off is that for short little green side chips-pitches-and bunker shots a lighter weight shaft may promote a little bit too fast of a tempo.
The difference is subtle and I don't think is worthy of reshafting.
Author Information
 

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:35 am
Posts: 44
HCP: 2
Local club/country: United States
Irons: MP5
Driver: JPX-EZ

Profile

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to
cron

Copyright Mizuno 2010

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.

cron {}