MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next

Re: WITB

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:51 pm

Posted by hursty

[attachment=0]8953: 2017-06-25 03-57-07-810x810.jpg[/attachment]DennisMiller wrote:

Hey gang...

I have to be honest about this... I've sort of gone over to the dark side.

Just for the time being, I'm the Darth Vader of the Mizuno Forum.

Feel free to change your profile picture and name, from now on you shall be known as Darth Miller
Attachments
  • 2017-06-25 03-57-07-810x810.jpg
    2017-06-25 03-57-07-810x810.jpg [ 174.39 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 S
Mizuno JPX 900 3W - Speeder 661 X
Mizuno JPX 900 19 hy - Fujikura Pro 75S
Mizuno MP-5 4i-PW - PX 6.0
Mizuno MPT-7 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 6.0
Odyssey #7 CS
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: The Shropshire GC
Irons: MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:06 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I consider it the highest honor that you still speak to me!!!

Playing with Mizuno equipment really creates a strange phenomena, at least for me. I've mentioned in the past that I always keep a spare set of clubs for friends who travel, so they don't need to pay airlines to check their clubs as baggage. I had thought about selling that set because it's been a couple years that nobody has asked to use them.

I wasn't able to attract any attention for the Mizuno JPX-825 irons I wanted to sell, but what Callaway Preowned gave me as a trade in was within $20 or so after I calculated what I might actually sell them for, minus the ad fee, the final valuation fee, the shipping cost and the Paypal fee.

I decided to trade for something I thought maybe would have a better chance of selling, something I felt I could buy cheap and probably get my money out of in the long run. I'm no stranger to arbitrage and have done similar things with guitars and other golf clubs.

When these TaylorMade irons arrived, I sort of liked the looks of them and decided to play with them one time. I hit some pretty good shots and was surprised with the feel, so I stuck my usual jumbo grips on them and bought an hour in the booth at Planet Golf. I split that into 2 days, 30 minutes each, but it turned into longer for free since nobody was around on the rainy second day.

There was no denying the numbers. I'm a good club longer with the TM RSi-1 irons.

The weird phenomena is, I pretty much don't care because they aren't Mizunos. I have this crazy, weird, unexplainable idea that I simply want to play Mizuno clubs, almost regardless of any shortcomings they might reflect compared to whatever other brand.

What I'll be doing in the coming days is cutting the grips off the Mizuno JPX-EZ irons. (Maybe Planet Golf can blow them off and salvage them that way) Having used tungsten pellets to backweight them, I need to figure out how to increase that weight, or cut them down slightly and backweight them again in hopes of creating a club 1/2" to 3/4" longer, but that I can swing as fast as the TM.

It's just an engineering problem to solve and I know I'll figure it out eventually. I know I like the 2016 EZ Forged irons. I just have to get them to like me.
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver: JPX-900

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I am currently in Kingston, Jamaica for my mother-in- law's funeral. With little to do last night after we left the hospital, I was looking on eBay and found a set of 850 irons, regular graphite, 1" longer. I've asked the seller for the serial number to call Mizuno and makes sure they have the B head, after which I'lli decide whether to bid.

Much as I like the EZ Forged, the math isn't working on lengthening them, back weighting them and even with my jumbo grips, they still feels heavy. With the B head, little difference as it may seem, I have a fighting chance. I am determined to return to the fold.

(EDIT)

Everything looks good. Now to decide whether to use the BIN or bid... Probably better off with the BIN.
Author Information

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

The 850 irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I immediately put my favorite jumbo grips on them and I hope to use them for the first time on Friday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually feels good emotionally to have Mizunos in my bag again.

Now my bag includes the 900 driver, 850 3 wood, 900 hybrid, 850 irons, 56* and 60* Ray Cook wedges with a TM Spyder putter.

My only remaining experiment is with golf balls. I have a lot of trouble seeing the ball in the air. I tried the Volvik Vivid and their red color is easier to see, but it's nearly impossible for me to see on the ground. Any orange ball I tried, (Bridgestone e6, Titleist V3 or Volvik Vivid), aren't easily visible in the air or on the ground. Optic Yellow is not as easy to see in the ari, but at least I can usually find the silly thing on the ground.

I don't know any other colors to try and trying various shades of sunglasses haven't helped either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Author Information

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:17 pm

Posted by Kgrove

DennisMiller wrote:

The 850 irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I immediately put my favorite jumbo grips on them and I hope to use them for the first time on Friday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually feels good emotionally to have Mizunos in my bag again.

Now my bag includes the 900 driver, 850 3 wood, 900 hybrid, 850 irons, 56* and 60* Ray Cook wedges with a TM Spyder putter.

My only remaining experiment is with golf balls. I have a lot of trouble seeing the ball in the air. I tried the Volvik Vivid and their red color is easier to see, but it's nearly impossible for me to see on the ground. Any orange ball I tried, (Bridgestone e6, Titleist V3 or Volvik Vivid), aren't easily visible in the air or on the ground. Optic Yellow is not as easy to see in the ari, but at least I can usually find the silly thing on the ground.

I don't know any other colors to try and trying various shades of sunglasses haven't helped either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried the Chromesoft for Chromesoft X Truvis - the red and white or yellow and black "soccer balls"? I generally don't have problems seeing the ball and sometimes use the Truvis just because I enjoy seeing the spin on the ball near the green. I don't know if it actually helps me at all, but it's interesting. I like the Chromesoft and CS-X, but I have to admit it seems like my best / longest drives come on ProV1 or ProV1X (I almost never play anything but CS and ProV1). It could be coincidence or a placebo effect as I've never given them an honest test.

But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded, but my friend can be a little wild and tells me in the rough the yellow and black are less easily found than the red and white if the grass has any yellow and brown tints to it, like dead grass. Both color schemes seem pretty visible in the air. I wish other manufacturers would be able to work their way around the patent or trademark and produce balls with similar color schemes. I'd be all over a ProV1 made to look like a World Cup soccer ball pattern.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 pm

Posted by Brattz

"But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded"

if that is the case.... why aren't you on tour winning majors? Or is this just a major case of golfing hubris?

personally I use the Srixon Z Star XV and find their brilliant white very easy to see both in the air and on the ground.
Titleist 915d3 10.5° - Diamana Blue S+ 60g
Titleist 915fd 15.0° - Diamana Blue S+ 70g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 5.5 CONGU
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 am

Posted by Kgrove

Brattz wrote:

"But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded"

if that is the case.... why aren't you on tour winning majors? Or is this just a major case of golfing hubris?

personally I use the Srixon Z Star XV and find their brilliant white very easy to see both in the air and on the ground.

It was a joke... sarcasm. The "friend" that knows which color Truvis balls can best be found in the sticks and under which conditions is me. I hit about 65% of fairways, so just a touch off winning majors. Sorry... sarcasm popping up again.
Author Information

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Posted by Fluffywan

Went to the range with my new toys. Shots low on the face I knew all about but they still travelled well. The MP-H5 are beautiful to hit, even the 2i. Have 7 to PW in the 900f. Very happy. Thinking of changing my putter. Been looking at the Odyssey O-works range. #1 wide has caught my eye. Any other suggestions to look at?
The opinions above, are the opinions of the author. they do not reflect reality in any way.
Swing DNA: 89/3/4/5/6
Author Information

HCP: 17.8
Local club/country: Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons: MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 56°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), MP-H4 3i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s)
Driver: JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s)

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:23 am

Posted by Kgrove

Fluffywan wrote:

The MP-H5 are beautiful to hit, even the 2i. 

I have the MPH5 2i and agree. It goes too far for me - too close to my 5W and too far away from my 4i for proper distance gapping. At the time I bought it I thought I'd use it more purely as a 5W replacement and trade the 5W and 2i as my 14th club depending on conditions, but I have space in my bag and am finding the gap between my 5W and 4i is too much... puts me in a bind when I have a shot in the 210-215 range.

I wanted to add 3i and for some reason I opted for a used Titleist 716 T-MB 3i...  a big mistake. The 716 T-MB is WAY less comfortable to hit than the H5 2i. It's good on dead center hits, but it is awful with just minor misses... much less forgiving than the H5. If I miss the H5 a bit, I lose a lot of difference, but it doesn't feel like punishment. The T-MB feels like it's punishing me for a bad life.  

I should have either ordered an H5 3-iron or maybe filled out my set with an MP5 3i. In any case, this 716 T-MB is about to hit eBay. I hate it, which surprises me given the feedback I've heard from other T-MB and 712U owners who rave about them as driving irons.

(I should mention that 99% of the time, I am using either the 2i or 3i off teeboxes, not fairways)
Author Information

Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Posted by hursty

Have done a swap of my 900 Forged to a set of MP5s with PX 6.0 shafts in.

Not necessarily the shafts im after but will try them out for a while before deciding on keeping them or swapping to the CTaper Tours.
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 S
Mizuno JPX 900 3W - Speeder 661 X
Mizuno JPX 900 19 hy - Fujikura Pro 75S
Mizuno MP-5 4i-PW - PX 6.0
Mizuno MPT-7 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 6.0
Odyssey #7 CS
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: The Shropshire GC
Irons: MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS

Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010