MIZUNO

Shaft Flex?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Posted by HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

Hi Thicko back on now, can someone talk me through the shaft flex details? I take it S is for Stiff, what are the rest please, also any thoughts on how shaft weight dictates, specially for a slow swinger.  
Author Information

HCP: 11.2
Local club/country: Theydon Bois ESSEX
Irons: MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus JPX 825 5 iron to PW and Hybrid, 5 Wood and Driver
Driver: Mizuno MX700

Re: Shaft Flex?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Posted by Stewart 57

google  " shaft flexes " and you will see the various flexes 
Author Information

HCP: 11.
Local club/country: Sandnes Golf Club, Norway
Irons: Mizuno MP 64 3 - PW.. MP T 11. 50,54+58 wedges, Bettinardi putter
Driver: MP650, 9.5 driver, 3+, 3 (15) , 5 woods, 22' hybrid

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

Posted by hursty

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE wrote:

Hi Thicko back on now, can someone talk me through the shaft flex details? I take it S is for Stiff, what are the rest please, also any thoughts on how shaft weight dictates, specially for a slow swinger.  

These are the general thoughts:

FLEX IN ORDER OF STIFFNESS,

A (usually seniors)
R (Regular)
S (Stiff)
X (Extra Stiff)
XX (Double Extra Stiff)
XXX (Triple X Stiff, World Long Drive hitters etc)

There are also other Idents, it all really doesnt matter that much though as some manufacturers Stiff flex may be on the verge of other manufacturers Reg flex or X Stiff. The only way to tell if the flex is right for you is to hit it.

There are also lots of other variables to consider; Kick Points, Torque, Weight to name a few.

A slower swinger may need a stiffer shaft depending on how they "load" it, when I was first fitted for a driver about 12 years ago my Swing Speed was only 93mph which depending on which site you reference to would put me at the Regular Flex range, However, I only have a short backswing so my transition from back to down swing is very fast and I "load" the shaft quite heavily thus requiring a stiffer shaft. (SS is now up to 105 with a smoother transition)

As for weight, again general thoughts are that the heavier the shaft then the tighter dispersion with the compromise of loss of distance.

ALL OF THIS IS IRRELEVANT THOUGH AS ITS THE PERSON SWINGING IT THAT DICTATES EXACTLY WHAT FLEX/WEIGHT/TORQUE WORKS BEST, MATCHING THE RIGHT SHAFT TO THE RIGHT CLUB HEAD IS ALSO AN IMPORTANT FACTOR.

On a final note, I tend to find similar spec shafts on weight & torque work for me (75-80g and 2.5-3.0), I dont neccesarily look at the flex.

Hope this helps to confuse you even more :)
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 S
Mizuno JPX 900 3W - Speeder 661 X
Mizuno JPX 900 19 hy - Fujikura Pro 75S
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli Hi #3 - Aldila NV MLTi 85S
Mizuno MP-5 4i-PW - PX 6.0
Mizuno MPT-7 50 / 58 - PX 6.0
Odyssey #7 CS
Author Information

HCP: 9.6
Local club/country: The Shropshire GC
Irons: MMC Fli Hi #3, MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Posted by Kgrove

My two cents - you will notice much bigger differences in how shafts feel than you will notice in actual performance. In other words, you might hit two driver shafts that feel dramatically different, but the launch monitor data is difficult to separate actual performance differences from normal shot to shot variations. I wouldn't be afraid to pick a shaft based largely on feel. It's a huge component of enjoying golf. 

edit - I'm not saying there aren't performance differences between shafts, just that performance differences are often smaller than you would think based on how different they might feel.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Posted by Brattz

Lighter shaft = more clubhead speed but wider dispersion
heavier shaft = less club head speed but tighter dispersion
Titleist 915d3 10.5° - Diamana Blue S+ 60g
Titleist 915fd 15.0° - Diamana Blue S+ 70g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 5.5 CONGU
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:38 am

Posted by Kgrove

Brattz wrote:

Lighter shaft = more clubhead speed but wider dispersion
heavier shaft = less club head speed but tighter dispersion

I definitely agree that the shaft weight impacts club head speed as simple physics dictate that heavier objects accelerate more slowly under the same force.

Wider dispersion with a lighter shaft is more questionable, though certainly consistent with commonly discussed ideas. Two possible explanations: 1) some folks claim a heavier shaft helps keep your swing on a single plane ... maybe it's the same physics argument that small differences in your movement from swing to swing may have less impact on a heavier shaft. 2) heavier shafts are generally speaking more torsionally stiff and maybe have a stiffer flex. Both these mean there may be less variation in how the club head springs back and therefore more consistent contact.

Both ideas sound logical, but the added dispersion from a lighter shaft may or may not be noticeable. If you can't find it, does it exist?

I'd test it for yourself. If you see higher dispersion when you shift to a lighter shaft (a real possibility) then by all means go heavy. On the other hand if you can't find any increase in dispersion with a lighter shaft and for other reasons you prefer the lighter shaft, then go light and don't go heavy because you heard light = dispersion.
Author Information

Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:02 pm

Posted by Varry Hardon

Shaft stiffness is only relevant when comparing the same model of shaft.

An X stiff shaft from one brand can feel completely different to another brand.
It is not a standard per se.

i.e. I have a 50g X stiff shaft. Way too flexy. The walls are incredibly thin - just not a lot of material.
The same shaft in 70 g regular will be stiffer.

Only use it to compare shafts in the same brand/model.

Look at the weight of the shaft instead.

The TX stiff shafts are just the same shaft but even heavier than X stiff. The thicker the walls (between shafts of the same model) the stiffer the shaft.
"When I do a bad shot, I blame myself. When I do a good shot, the club gets all the credit" - me.
Fire in the belly, space between the ears.
Author Information

Local club/country: Dukinfield
Irons: MP-4s, T7 wedges
Driver: 915D3 in junior ladies flex

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:09 am

Posted by Halebopp

Here's a good video on the subject of what the shaft does. It doesn't discuss torque though.

Sorry, can't remember how to embed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIGh2UCOiigEdit: I did remember how but it doesn't seem to work.

Edit2: It does work now.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
3&5 Wood: MP-650, Orochi Red S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland