MIZUNO

Re: Counterbalancing a Mizuno Bettinardi

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Posted by Halebopp

Look at my new broomstick! :D

I got the bits and pieces in the mail today. The shaft extension and the new Winn grip. It didn't take long to learn the butt is 0.60 in the putter rather than 0.58 (for which I ordered the extension) but a couple of wraps of packaging tape and now the extension is stuck inside the shaft. No need to worry about it coming loose.

My self-made weight fits the shaft very snugly so all's good. All I need to do now is decide to which length I want to cut the shaft. The old grip does help a bit as I can move it up and down to figure it out. I have to say the broomstick is working surprisingly well. It feels like I don't have any control over the club but the results are very consistent.

Don't worry though, I won't keep it that way. :D

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
3&5 Wood: MP-650, Orochi Red S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons: MP-H5/4
Driver: MP-650

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

Excellent work chap :D
Author Information

HCP: 8.6
Local club/country: Eaton (Norwich)
Irons: MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver: Mizuno ST180 Tensei White 70 stiff

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Posted by Halebopp

Blah, the first sign of trouble.

I sawed the shaft close to 37 inches and put the weight in place. Now the shaft vibrates quite badly at impact. It didn't vibrate at all with the weight but without the extension, nor with extension and without the weight. Added some layers of tape around the weight and had to actually hammer it down the shaft but it didn't help. Maybe the extension isn't in place firmly enough for all the extra weight. The other possibility is that the end nut doesn't fit inside the .58 shaft and thus sits on top of it as opposed to the actual end of the putter shaft, which is .60 and thus the top end of the weight gets to move about. So the answer might be more tape to the top end.

At least now I have time to think while trying to pull the weight out of the shaft. :D

Author Information

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Posted by PaulBoy

That's a bit of a pain to say the least! - The grips I have seen with fitted weights (like Super Stroke) have the weight wrapped in foam to presumably stop this sort of vibration / rattle happening? - Maybe you could use something similar, like the stuff you lag pipes with? - Keep up the good work ... Paul
MP-18 MB/SC 5-PW PX5.5
MP-T7 50* 54* 58*
M2 (2016) ProjectX EF Blue 6.0
M2 3 & 5 woods
Titleist 816 19* Hybrid Aldila Rogue 85s
Bettinardi "Studio Stock" putter
Author Information

HCP: 4.6
Local club/country: Guildford GC & New Forest GC
Irons: MP18 MB/SC 5-PW PX5.5
Driver: M2 (2016) c/w ProjectX Even Flow 6.0

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Posted by Halebopp

Thanks for the support and idea, Paul! And Bonobo too!

I was able to remove the weight after a bit of a fight. :)

I filed the inside of the butt and the bottom of the nut, which allowed the nut to drop just slightly inside the shaft. I also added a couple of layers of tape to the top and that helped with the vibration. There's no vibration anymore if I hit the sweet spot but anything outside of it and it's clear I need to figure out the bottom end of the weight also.

I tried adding a couple of layers of tape but it just doesn't fit through the narrow part of the extension. I didn't even think about the foam idea (despite having checked all the ready-made options :D ), I might have some of that very thin wrapping stuff (with what they wrap all electronics) but I'm not sure if even that is thin enough to get through the bottleneck (see the terrible picture below).

Now it seems like I'll try to make the nuts more round to fill in the space as the corners obviously can't take much more tape. The other option would be to pull out the extension and build the weight "around it" letting me skip the bottleneck.

Maybe I'll try some foam, toothpicks or narrow strips of tape on the sides of the nut first 

Author Information

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:45 pm

Posted by Halebopp

All I could add to the sides was very small bits of thin cardboard. That didn't solve the problem completely and when I tried to pull the weight out, the slices of cardboard didn't come out. When removing it I ended up shoving it further down the shaft.

I did found some of the material in which they wrap TV screens etc. in before those are put into the styrofoam and it almost works.

What I haven't tried is stuffing the part of the rod not covered with the nuts with that stuff 

Now it looks like  need to pull out the extension and see if I can build the weight around it. That'll be a tedious process though hammering the whole thing in and pulling it out every time.

For the first time I'm slightly frustrated. The putter performs very well at 37 inches and with the weight and I thought all I needed to do was to have someone install the grip.

Author Information

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Posted by Halebopp

Edit. I might've been celebrating a bit early. :(

I thought I had it finished but not yet, still some irritating vibrations on occasion. I also remembered another way to extend the shaft, using the bigger nuts on their own towering on top of the shaft. Maybe I should explore that route also. :)

Author Information

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 pm

Posted by Halebopp

I paid a visit to my dad yesterday to borrow his heat gun and vise to get the weight out again. It did come out but with the shaft extension in place. You can actually feel the putter shaft bulge slightly when inserting or removing the weight so the feeling certainly isn't because the weight is loose inside the shaft.

After a visit to the hardware store I tried building the extension from nuts at the end of the rod but it came out worse than what I already had.

Today I got a new idea. The reason the feel isn't the same as it was without the shaft extension is probably because I'm using the same step in the putter shaft as the low point for the weight. With two inches of added length that point is now two inches further away from my hands.

According to my math, the weight could be about three inches shorter but the center of gravity (for the weight) moves up only one inch. Seeing if it helps needs to wait until tomorrow though as the neighbours might not appreciate me sawing metal at this hour. :D

Author Information

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Posted by Halebopp

Here you go! :)

After a couple of more evenings of tinkering I decided stacking the weights as far up as possible was the best way to go. With a bit of math I figured out how long the threaded rod needed to be to get the right weight and then jam-packed it with the long nuts and then added as many layers of tape as it could take.

Despite the 1 in 15 weird-feeling putt, I thought I'm not too keen on figuring out completely different ways to add weight. Weirdly enough if I had explored other options, my next stop would've been to a store selling spare parts for tractors as they seemed to have all sorts of bolts etc. A much better selection than what the hardware stores carry. :D

After a couple of dozen of putts at home I haven't come across a single putt that felt weird, probably thanks to the grip, which hasn't been cut in half.

The shaft is pretty much 37 inches now (the C-01H next to it is 34"), the weight assembly weights around 150 grams and is 20 cm (8 freedom length units) long, so about two thirds of the grip length. The head doesn't feel too light at all, the shaft extension certainly helped with that.

The Winnpro X 1.18 grip is 10 grams lighter though, so you could say the added weight is around 140 grams. I needed a new grip for the putter anyway so the only cost was the weight itself. It was slightly over 10 Euros, 9-10 GBP and with a couple of more nuts, I'd have material for two or three other weights. Slightly cheaper than an Odyssey Tank. :)

I also had the orange Lamkin grip installed on the EZ pitching wedge. It does look good but maybe slightly Fowlerish. :D

Author Information