MIZUNO

looking for mizuno iron

Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Posted by 1irondude

With great regret it is time I retire my Mizuno MP-57 irons. The grooves are smooth and I have worn out 2 groove sharpeners. I like to spin the ball and Mizuno swing analyzer fitted me into a Project X 6.0 shafts. Out of all the Mizuno irons which one will give me the highest spin rate?
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: United States
Irons: mp57
Driver: callaway big bertha alpha, aldila rogue

Re: looking for mizuno iron

Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Ahhh... the 57s. I played those for a number of years.

Loft is one of the bigger drivers of spin rate for irons, so you'll see your highest spin rates with the models that stick to "traditional" loft profiles like the JPX-900 Tour, MP18 and MP18SC, MP5, etc. I'd be surprised if the spin rates differ much between those so you could safely pick whichever one excites you the most based on feel and looks.... or whichever you can get for the best price. 
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Posted by 1irondude

thanks for the information. I thought the grooves and the center of gravity would have more of an influence on the spin rates??? I noticed when I sharpened the grooves on the MP 57s the spin rates went way up. The JPX game improvement clubs spin a lot less than the MPs. But it makes those much harder to control the distances. I heard the tour van heads spin the most but I can not get a set of those heads. Has anyone seen some Mizuno iron spin tests they can share? Balls brands have a way different spin rates but that is a whole different topic. (That new Mizuno ST driver is supernaturally good. Does it come with a 1 degree closed face?)
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: United States
Irons: mp57
Driver: callaway big bertha alpha, aldila rogue

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:25 am

Posted by Kgrove

1irondude wrote:

thanks for the information. I thought the grooves and the center of gravity would have more of an influence on the spin rates??? I noticed when I sharpened the grooves on the MP 57s the spin rates went way up. The JPX game improvement clubs spin a lot less than the MPs. But it makes those much harder to control the distances. I heard the tour van heads spin the most but I can not get a set of those heads. Has anyone seen some Mizuno iron spin tests they can share? Balls brands have a way different spin rates but that is a whole different topic. (That new Mizuno ST driver is supernaturally good. Does it come with a 1 degree closed face?)

Well, grooves and cg I'm sure do play a part, but if you're just comparing Brand A vs Brand B, the biggest differentiator of spin rates will be loft, and not all irons are the same.

You have to be careful if you see online test data comparing 7-irons, for instance, because 7-iron lofts change from model to model. A good example would be the JPX900 line where a Tour 7i is 34* while a Forged 7i is only 31*. I bet if you find test data on these two clubs, the Tour will appear to carry 8-10 yards less but spin the ball about 800-1000 rpm more? A better test would be a Tour 6i which is 30* and a 31* Forged 7i... I bet that test would show much closer carry distances and spin rates. Unfortunately the manufacturers usually provide the online guys with just a few clubs for testing, often a 4i, 7i, and PW, so you have to make some mental adjustments to the numbers in an attempt to make it an apples to apples comparison. 
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010