MIZUNO

Happy Halloween & Shaft Changes

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

Last night we sat up until around 9:30 without a single tricker treater coming for candy. Just as I was about to turn off the outside light, (the common indication you are awake and tricker treaters are welcomed), the doorbell rang. It was Mark and Denise Thomas, the previous owner of Killian Greens and his wife.

Over coffee, the conversation turned to me going to senior shafts. Mark is 9 years younger than me and needless to say, he teased me about getting old, but the question left outstanding was, if I was going to senior shafts in my irons, what was I doing with my woods, hybrid and wedges?

I currently have regular flex shafts in everything. Mark's question was, would I go to senior shafts in my woods too? Could I control a senior shaft in my driver if my swing speed is around 85 mph with a smooth swing? What about the hybrid, since it's supposed to be an extension of the iron set? And what was I going to do with the SW and LW?

I have to admit, I hadn't progressed to the point of thinking this deeply. I'm not unhappy with my performance with my driver or 3 wood, so I take that as the last issue to worry about. I feel like the SW and LW might be the first issue to address, whether to buy something or reshaft a couple wedges I have. The hybrid is adjustable, so I might get by with that for the moment.

I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts..

Thanks,
Dennis
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver: JPX-900

Re: Happy Halloween & Shaft Changes

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

I would have thought that with a SS of 85 you would still fit into regular. Go have a play and see if the other flexes give you better dispersion. I’m now old enough to not worry too much around what shaft should fit. It’s what works. I know players with low SS that play xs because it fits their game. Equally blasters playing regular because it feels good. 
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton (Norwich)
Irons: MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver: PingG LST 9º Tour 80

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:57 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

Most of my gadgets suggest between 80-85 mph driver speed. I can loosen up and swing 90, but the fact is, with certain physical ailments I have, related to my hands, arms and shoulders, I'm trying to shorten my swing to about 3/4. With a 6 iron, my speed is around 70 on average.

I call it 3/4 swing because it's a matter of taking the arms back to parallel with the ground, very little past that if at all, then making a solid turn through without being at all violent with it. With regular flex shafts, I found myself losing a club of distance, but hitting the ball more solidly. I feel I'd like to maintain that solid strike and see if a softer shaft gives me back a bit of that lost distance.

The question Mark brought up last night was, what would I do with my wedges, which I never hit full? I might reshaft my T4 wedges, (54 and 58), but for the moment, I found a used JPX 56* senior graphite shaft on Ebay and bought it really cheap. I prefer a combination of 54/58, but a 56* has occasionally pulled double duty for me, so I'm not concerned about wasting a club at the price I got it for.

Now I need to decide whether getting senior shafts for my driver, 3 wood and hybrid will serve any benefit. I'll probably try to spend some time in the swing booth at Planet Golf over the weekend.
Author Information

Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I only got to spend about 15 minutes in the booth today but it was enough to come up with some interesting results. Swinging a longer club around me, like a driver or 3 wood, opposed to swinging up and down like an iron, I still maintain enough club head speed to utilize a regular flex shaft.

Thus, changing my 4 hybrid shaft to match my senior iron shafts might be a good idea. With my new shorter swing, I hit my 4 hybrid about 185-190 yards with the softer shaft. I'm happy with that, so I'm going to look for a shaft or club to replace the 4 hybrid.

Hitting the 3 wood and the driver with softer shafts took a bit of work on my timing. I had to make a slower transition at the top, but I seemed to hit the ball around the same distances with less effort. A couple times I tried to hit it harder and the dispersion pattern reflected it, so to some extent, I'd have to learn a more controlled swing than I currently have.

I might have hit 50 balls in total and my hands were pretty much OK considering the largest grips they had were midsize and I typically use jumbo.

I guess I have to think a bit about what I learned.
Author Information

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010