MIZUNO

Different irons/wedges for summer and winter?

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am

Posted by ian-500

This will be the first time that I've ever owned 2 sets of irons and wedges at the same time and keeping them, so I thought I'd make them weather specific. Thinner sole for summer and wider soles for winter is my reasoning behind this experiment, as well as lighter shafts for more carry in the winter. Hopefully it works. 

Summer:
MP4/54 Yoro and T7 all shafted with Quadra Fire Express DGL 120 and Iomics grips. 

Winter:
MP64 and S5 all shafted with Orochi Tour Spec 90g and Pure grips. 

Anyone else do this? 
Driver:MP650 9.5* + UST Mamiya Platinum PT6F5
3w :MP650 15*+ UST Mamiya Platinum PT6F5
Hybrids: MP650 19*/22* + UST Mamiya Elements Earth 80x
Irons: MP4/54 Yoro 5-pw + Fire Express DGL 120x
Wedges: T7 52/58 + Fire Express DGL 120x
Putter: Rife Barbados
Author Information

HCP: 16
Local club/country: UK

Re: Different irons/wedges for summer and winter?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Posted by Paulmillwall

Something I've been thinking of. My amp 54s are 2 degree strong hence less bounce. Brilliant in the summer off tight lies but regularly catch them heavy in the softer winter. Also have stiff shafts for a better spread but lack of distance in the winter.  Only concern is I was fitted with Nippon 1150gh stiff to help get my ball flight down. Something I would still like in the windy winter. 
Author Information

Local club/country: Bexleyheath, Kent uk
Irons: Mp54
Driver: Titleist 913

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 am

Posted by Halebopp

I have a beat-up set of MP-32s I use in the spring when the courses are more sand than grass and you need to hit off mats on the range. I don't want to cause any extra damage to my beautiful MP-4s and there are plenty of stories of how the KBS shafts bend when hitting off mats.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap set of JPX Pros or EZ Forgeds so that I could have an easier set as a back up. I did buy a set of Ping i20s last spring but didn't find much difference in between them and the MP-32s on the range (and they felt worse) so I sold them for a healthy profit before playing a single round with them. :)
Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
3&5 Wood: MP-650, Orochi Red S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons: MP-H5/4
Driver: MP-650

Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Posted by Bonobobananas

I've just bought some MP18s and am thinking about keeping my JPX900 forged as a winter set. Don't want to take chunks out of the lovely lovely blades and the slight extra distance will be handy in the cold.
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton (Norwich)
Irons: MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver: PingG LST 9º Tour 80

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:17 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Bonobobananas wrote:

I've just bought some MP18s and am thinking about keeping my JPX900 forged as a winter set. Don't want to take chunks out of the lovely lovely blades and the slight extra distance will be handy in the cold.

I don't know if I could do this. It takes me some time to adjust to new clubs and I'd be afraid I'd spend too many rounds adjusting to one set then later adjusting back to the first set. For me, it doesn't change my ability to hit the club square, but I start to lose my ability to predict how far the ball will travel, whether it will check or roll out, etc.. so choosing the right club for a given shot becomes more of a guessing game. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so maybe others learn their new clubs faster ... or maybe the 18s and 900Forged are similar enough for seamless transitions.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 am

Posted by Bonobobananas

Kgrove wrote:

Bonobobananas wrote:

I don't know if I could do this. It takes me some time to adjust to new clubs and I'd be afraid I'd spend too many rounds adjusting to one set then later adjusting back to the first set. For me, it doesn't change my ability to hit the club square, but I start to lose my ability to predict how far the ball will travel, whether it will check or roll out, etc.. so choosing the right club for a given shot becomes more of a guessing game. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so maybe others learn their new clubs faster ... or maybe the 18s and 900Forged are similar enough for seamless transitions.

I think winter conditions are so different anyway with up to three clubs drop in distance in the cold air that it shouldn't be an issue. Also run out varies dramatically almost week to week with a lot of rainfall. I'm keeping the 4 and 5  900 f irons in play anyway and it hasn't been a problem so far

It's not a given yet, just toying with the idea. 
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton (Norwich)
Irons: MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver: PingG LST 9º Tour 80

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010