MIZUNO

Mizuno mph5 4 & 5 iron

Fri May 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Posted by Philbleasy

How easy are mizuno mph5 4 & 5 irons to hit?
Author Information

HCP: 16.9
Local club/country: Uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 - 6-PW
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha - 11 deg fubuki stiff

Re: Mizuno mph5 4 & 5 iron

Fri May 12, 2017 8:09 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Last edited by Kgrove on Sat May 13, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Fri May 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Posted by Philbleasy

Kgrove wrote:

Easy is a relative term, so hard to answer clearly or quantify. I think most MP5 owners would agree the clubs are much easier to hit than non-owners probably think from looking at them if that helps. I don't want to mislead you - you are talking about a long iron in a club designed more for shaping shots than forgiveness, but at the same time the MP5 is nowhere near as scary to hit as it probably looks.

I can also put it this way... I had 3-PW in my previous irons, MP57s. When I got the MP5s I stopped the new set at 4-iron thinking these were less forgiving and I rarely used my MP57 3-iron, so I would never hit it with MP5s. Since then I'm kind of developing a little love affair with my 4-iron and use it frequently, which makes me wonder if I should have included the 3-iron in my MP5 set as well.

Long story short... easier to hit than you'd guess being a very blade-like iron, but it is still a long iron in a club meant for good ball strikers. If you go out on a cold morning and hit one off center, you'll feel it for awhile... just not as long as you might think.

Hi thanks for the reply but I think you have miss read the title I'm asking about the mp h5 not the mp5
Author Information

Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Posted by Philbleasy

Also guys I'm thinking of swapping my mp25 6 iron for an mph5 6 iron what are people's thoughts 
Author Information

Sat May 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Posted by Kgrove

My bad! I edited my post to completely remove the text to keep your thread on track. Sorry for the confusion.

I have an MPH5 2-iron in my bag that I use as an occasional driving iron or fairway wood replacement on windy days... not the same loft you're asking about but I do like it. Mizuno doesn't make 2-irons in very many of its lines, so the fact they made one in the H5 series should tell you a little something about how easy the H5s are to hit.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Sat May 13, 2017 6:03 pm

Posted by Philbleasy

Kgrove wrote:

My bad! I edited my post to completely remove the text to keep your thread on track. Sorry for the confusion.

I have an MPH5 2-iron in my bag that I use as an occasional driving iron or fairway wood replacement on windy days... not the same loft you're asking about but I do like it. Mizuno doesn't make 2-irons in very many of its lines, so the fact they made one in the H5 series should tell you a little something about how easy the H5s are to hit.

Thanks
Author Information

Sat May 13, 2017 6:46 pm

Posted by streuner

I would suggest to try. It also depends on the rest of the irons. Maybe the H5 is longer or shorter than the same iron number of your current set. Gapping is important... I play the MP25 with Nippon shafts pw - 6i and MP H5 5 and 4 iron with PX LZ steel shaft. With the same shaft the MP25 is half a club longer than the H5 and gapping would be confusing. The LZ shaft works better for me and this is why the H5 fits perfectly in my set. MP25 is a very nice iron head, but the H5 gives slightly more forgiveness and a higher ball flight and softer landing on the greens. 
Author Information

HCP: 17
Local club/country: GCC Blumisberg
Irons: Mizuno MP18 MMC Project X LZ steel
Driver: Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft

Sat May 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Posted by Philbleasy

streuner wrote:

I would suggest to try. It also depends on the rest of the irons. Maybe the H5 is longer or shorter than the same iron number of your current set. Gapping is important... I play the MP25 with Nippon shafts pw - 6i and MP H5 5 and 4 iron with PX LZ steel shaft. With the same shaft the MP25 is half a club longer than the H5 and gapping would be confusing. The LZ shaft works better for me and this is why the H5 fits perfectly in my set. MP25 is a very nice iron head, but the H5 gives slightly more forgiveness and a higher ball flight and softer landing on the greens. 

I play mp25 6-pw, and jpx fli-hi 3,4,5 but don't like the fli-hi so looking to swap to mph5 I think
Author Information

Sun May 14, 2017 7:35 am

Posted by streuner

I truely understand. I did try the fly hi on the MP25 fitting and could not stand the massive offset. H5 4i is having a visible offset as well, but not that massive. But with the same shaft the 5i H5 is only a tiny bit longer that the MP25 6i. In this case you should bend it or rethink the shaft choice on the long irons. 
Author Information

HCP: 17
Local club/country: GCC Blumisberg
Irons: Mizuno MP18 MMC Project X LZ steel
Driver: Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft

Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Posted by Fluffywan

So my MP-H5 2i arrived today. Took it to the range this evening. Lovely lovely club. I have it 2° up and 1/2" long with a KBS stiff shaft. All the reviews I read and watched before going to hit one were on about struggling to launch and needing a >105 mph club head speed with driver to use the club. I don't have a 105mph club head speed and it worked a beaut in my hands. After the demo I ordered one.  Lovely penetrating ball flight, decent height, not sure about distance but I'll work on that on the course. I probably hit it better off the deck rather than tee'd up so when I use it off the tee it'll be low. Since I went back playing right handed I've been unable to hit a hybrid in any shape or brand but have no real issues with irons. Based on how I've found the 2i I suspect the 4i and 5i would be just as good and just as easy to hit. As with anything like this I'd find yourself a demo day or go to one of the performance centres and get fitted. I'm seriously considering getting 4i, 5i and 6i in a mixed set with 900f to GW.
The opinions above, are the opinions of the author. they do not reflect reality in any way.
Swing DNA: 89/3/4/5/6
Author Information

HCP: 17.8
Local club/country: Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons: MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 56°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), MP-H4 3i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s)
Driver: JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s)

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010