MIZUNO

Thinking of reshafting mp32's? Need advise

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 am

Posted by cfm

Hi to all, for I just joined, and have a question to ask, trying out some mp32's with dg r300 I picked up after the holidays and I don't want to change them. Last week I got my dna 72 4 4 4 5 and was recommended the JPX 825 with dynalite xp r300.
I hit the mp32 6 iron high and 155 yards carry at the golf coarse, using my gps. During the fitting, the results were similar with the recommended club. These are two very opposite type clubs and and shafts. If I were to experiment and change the shaft in the mp32 to the dynalite xp r300, would that fly my ball even higher and loose distance? Thank you for any advise, cfm.
Author Information

Local club/country: canada
Irons: mizuno mp32
Driver: mizuno mx700

Re: Thinking of reshafting mp32's? Need advise

Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Posted by ChrisP

Hi cfm and a warm welcome.

There are better shaft experts here than me but yes the XP R300 would launch higher than the DG R300.  The XP is also lighter as a shaft.  So if swapping in the MP32's this won't bring your ball flight down, that could be the user :) (like me, I hit quite an early (release 7) flight ball).

Up to you really but it might be worth changing out when you get new clubs as a set?
Currently .... no clubs!
Author Information

Local club/country: Hawarden

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Posted by Simon

Hi CFM,
For the most part, if all else equal, it will go higher and possibly lose a few yards.  Nothing major. 

But you should take into account that your MP32 6 iron has a loft of  31, and the JPX 6 iron is 28, almost like your 5 iron.  So I'm not too surprised they have given you similar results since the lower loft of the JPX works well with the higher flight from the Dynalites.  But putting them in your MP32, they may be too high since you said you already them high with your current set.  You may lose a little more carry and roll than you would like.     

Other factors to consider is the swing weight and overall club weight, will be a tad lighter with Dynalites.  Only you and your swing can decide if that will help or not help your ball striking consistency.  
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: Haggin Oaks

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Posted by dong galang

i have exactly the same set up with my mp32, dg r300 with gp tour velvet grips. in my case it came out with a swing weight of d4 on the 5iron then progresses to d6 in the pw. quite heavy for me. i use my heavy mp32's and bring them to the driving range when i feel that my swing is getting handsy.

i get a high ball flight also with this current set up, but if i'm going to game them maybe i'l stick it with kbs tour stiff, bend the lofts two degrees stronger and find a way to bring the swing weight of the 5iron down to d2, to pw d4.

i think if you put a lighter shaft, in your example dynalites, the swing weight will get heavier, that has pro's and cons. that might change the feel of the club while your swinging it.

if your not happy with the dg r300, i think the dynalite r300 is not much different. a lot of people i know are happy with kbs, me, personally i use px5.5's. but maybe in the case of the 32's i would try kbs stiff.

good luck mate.
Author Information

HCP: 11.2 index
Local club/country: navy golf club / philippines
Irons: tm rescue 3, adams 4hybrid, mp-52 5iron, 6,7 mp63, 8-pw fourteen tb1000
Driver: 09 tm burner, tm v steel 3w, callaway diablo 5w

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:43 am

Posted by ChuckD

You have several factors in play here. Club weight affecting your own release, shaft bend points affecting the head release, club head COG affecting the launch and spin rates, just for a start. Its a little unusual to see a bladed iron with a regular shaft. Blades are known for their lower penetrating ball flights which usually take decent head speeds to get the most out of them. Who ever had them made, needed that shaft to get the ball in the air and might also have had a forward press at impact making the problem worse. This is why fitting is so important. No one can say, Im this shaft and use it in every club they buy from now on. COG and lofts play a huge role in your ball flight, so having the right shaft in the right club makes all the difference. Having a discontinued set of irons makes it very difficult to test shafts to find the one for you..
Callaway Octane Tour
Clevland 3W
CLK 20*
MP59 KBS Tour S
MP-4 50-06
MP-T10 54-09
MP-T 58-10
Ping Anser4
Author Information

HCP: 3.3
Local club/country: Sydney
Irons: MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver: Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff

Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Posted by T-Zoider

True Temper shafts spin too much, unless you lash out and get a set of the tour spec DG's for 240 quid.

Also, lighter shaft usually means higher flight, unless you really amp up the flex (from an R to an X). That is a generalisation of course, dont everyone jump on me at once for that one.

If you want lower flight, try Project X or standard Rifle. I have huge problems with spin and I have used Rifle shafts now for about 5 years and also find that UST Proforce shafts keep the spin down as well. They are quite boardy, but I dont mind that.

None of this is directed at the thread starter, but to be honest, if you are using a clubhead like the 32's you should be on an S300 at least anyway. If you need help from the shaft then why go with a blade? Buy the JPX in a stiffer flex.

Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isnt coming down.
Author Information

HCP: 3
Local club/country: Longniddry
Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2-PW Rifle 6.0 MP-R Series 52° & 58° X100
Driver: Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track 8.5° Proforce Axiv Core Tour Red 69S MP Titanium 15° Grafalloy Blue S

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Posted by BigPete

T-Zoider wrote:

True Temper shafts spin too much, unless you lash out and get a set of the tour spec DG's for 240 quid.

Also, lighter shaft usually means higher flight, unless you really amp up the flex (from an R to an X). That is a generalisation of course, dont everyone jump on me at once for that one.

If you want lower flight, try Project X or standard Rifle. I have huge problems with spin and I have used Rifle shafts now for about 5 years and also find that UST Proforce shafts keep the spin down as well. They are quite boardy, but I dont mind that.

I don't want to seem like I'm rubbishing your advice, as you sound like you know your stuff, but feel it may be a tad misleading. It might very well be the case FOR YOU, but other swings will get different spin numbers from different shafts. The DG shafts are generally regarded as low launch / lowish spin. Standard Rifle are no longer produced I don't think.

I tend to get highish launch and medium spin with the PX
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:57 pm

Posted by T-Zoider

BigPete wrote:

T-Zoider wrote:

I don't want to seem like I'm rubbishing your advice, as you sound like you know your stuff, but feel it may be a tad misleading. It might very well be the case FOR YOU, but other swings will get different spin numbers from different shafts. The DG shafts are generally regarded as low launch / lowish spin. Standard Rifle are no longer produced I don't think.

I tend to get highish launch and medium spin with the PX

No no, not at all. I accept that results differ between users for every component. My experience with DG's is that most guys that I have spoken to mention that they can be a bit "floaty". I think even TT admit they are "mid" spin though.

PX's are a bit higher launching than standard rifles. The satin finish are the best but hard to find in good condition. You can still get sets of original rifles off fleabay in decent condition. I also found Nippon NS Pro 1050's quite good for keeping spin down. I tried them on a set of Copper Ping Eye 2's which spin hard and they kept that spin under control.
Author Information

Driver: Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track 8.5° Proforce Axiv Core Tour Red 69S MP Titanium 15° Grafalloy Blue S

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am

Posted by lessel

T-Zoider wrote:

Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isn't coming down.

I would disagree with you on this.  I started with blades in 1965 and am still using them, although my previous MP33 had S300 I now have MP68 XP R300.  I have tried other club heads recently and they don't suit me any better, there is nothing amiss with distance and flight with these clubs.
Author Information

Local club/country: Woburn
Irons: MP 5 4-PW, woods MP001
Driver: MP 001 10.5 stiff

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Posted by T-Zoider

lessel wrote:

T-Zoider wrote:

Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isn't coming down.

I would disagree with you on this.  I started with blades in 1965 and am still using them, although my previous MP33 had S300 I now have MP68 XP R300.  I have tried other club heads recently and they don't suit me any better, there is nothing amiss with distance and flight with these clubs.

Well, without knowing your age and handicap I can't really comment on your personal situation, but my dad is 64 plays off 13 has been as low as 7 and can still use a blade since he used them until he was in his 40's anyway. He uses AP2's now and I put a set of Nippon NS-Pro 950 Stiff shafts in them for him, which is quite a tight, but midweight shaft just to give him a little extra help on those days when the bones creak a little louder, but he still gets the consistency and control advantages of the semi blade head.

In fairness, that statement before was a bit tongue in cheek anyway! I had a set of Titleist 680 blades and they had 6.0's on them and they were almost on the edge of too hard, so they would probably have been quite nice with a set of S300 or even R400's on them.

I just dont see the point of a 15 handicapper bothering with blades if they need a regular shaft. If they went with cavity backed head they might find they could play a stiff shaft and gain a little bit of consistency without sacrificing distance or carry. As I say, I dont care what anyone plays with unless they have a set of Daiwa DG-201's in the bag (basically a TP-11 with an even smaller head) and never stop complaining that their game isn't getting any better.
Author Information

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010