MIZUNO

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

About the new, worldwide handicapping system

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 am

Posted by Halebopp

Our national golf union published a story regarding the new, worldwide handicapping system today.

They say the system should be finalized early next year and be put into use in 2020 and it will model the U.S. system with the handicap being based on the best 8 of the last 20 returned score cards. The scores will be stroke play scores with an adjustment. The highest score you can score on a hole is your net double bogey. So if you get a stroke on a par 4, the max you can score for your handicap is 7. There will be a PCA adjustment to competition scores like the current CBA in the EGA or the daily scratch score in the CONGU (or whatever it was).

There's nothing in the article indicating it would be competition rounds only nor does it mention whether or not all rounds should be recorded. According to the article there's also a suggestion on the table to limit handicaps from going up more than 5 strokes in one year. 9-hole scores would most probably be accepted but it's not certain yet how those would be taken into account.

What it does mention is the use of Slope ratings, so you guys and gals in the UK better get cracking. :)

I would personally find it odd if the handicap was based off an adjusted stroke play score when you could simply use the Stableford score. I remember the Rules overhaul included an adjusted stroke play format so maybe that'll be replacing Stableford altogether.
Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
3&5 Wood: MP-650, Orochi Red S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons: MP-H5/4
Driver: MP-650

Re: About the new, worldwide handicapping system

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:40 am

Posted by hursty

The UK (CONGU) system already uses some of these aspects:

Nett double bogey adjustment
9 Hole scores can be considered (T's & C's apply)

Slope ratings are already being started to be done in preparation

I played under the EGA (European Golf Association) for 3 years where each course had a slope & course rating (potentially different for each set of tees) your home club handicap was then converted to a new handicap at which ever away course you played, some times you'd lose shots sometimes you'd gain shots, the system worked quite well.

I'm also a believer that a card should be submitted every time you play (barring doubles/team formats) this would give a more accurate hcap as opposed to our current system of only adjusting from competition play.
Mizuno JPX 900 - Speeder 757 S
Mizuno JPX 900 3W - Speeder 661 X
Mizuno JPX 900 19 hy - Fujikura Pro 75S
Mizuno MP-5 4i-PW - PX 6.0
Mizuno MPT-7 50 / 54 / 58 - PX 6.0
Odyssey #7 CS
Author Information

HCP: 8.5
Local club/country: The Shropshire GC
Irons: MP-5 4-PW, MPT-7 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Driver: JPX 900 Driver - 757 S, JPX 900 3W - 661 X, JPX 900 19 deg - Fuji Pro 75S, Odyssey #7CS

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Posted by Brattz

I’m with Hursty. Every time you play as an individual your card should be verified and entered, comp or no comp. I have also played in competitions that use slope as I am a member at Golf Du Touquet in France. When I play in their sovereign comp my handicap is 8 adjusted for the difficulty of the La Mer course off the Black tees.
Titleist 915d3 10.5° - Diamana Blue S+ 60g
Titleist 915fd 15.0° - Diamana Blue S+ 70g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 5.5 CONGU
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Posted by chrism_s

What if you just want to have a bit of fun on the golf course? Enforcing handicap qualification on every round is going to take a slow sport and make it slower.

I agree you should be able to submit any round if you play with someone who is a qualified marker, but submitting every round is crazy. There go the twilight rounds where you run round the course to have a bit of fun, or the golf break rounds where everyone has has a few too many beers and can hardly see the course....
Ping G25 - Project X 6.5
Titleist 913F - 3 Wood | Speeder X-Flex
Titleist 915H - 2 Hybrid | Aldila Rogue S Flex
MP-H4 - 3 Iron | DG XP S300
JPX 825 Pro - 4-PW | DG XP S300
MP T-4 50 & 56 | DG XP S300
Odyssey O-Works Tank #7
Author Information

HCP: 22
Local club/country: Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons: Titlest 915H 2 Hybrid | MP-H4 - 3 Iron | 4-PW JPX-825 Pro | MP-T4 50 & 56
Driver: Ping G25 - Project X 6.5

Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Posted by Brattz

chrism_s wrote:

What if you just want to have a bit of fun on the golf course? Enforcing handicap qualification on every round is going to take a slow sport and make it slower.

I agree you should be able to submit any round if you play with someone who is a qualified marker, but submitting every round is crazy. There go the twilight rounds where you run round the course to have a bit of fun, or the golf break rounds where everyone has has a few too many beers and can hardly see the course....

Only if you are playing with a marker. Also, if you are on a golf break and have paid money into a prize fund then these rounds need to be submitted to your club as required by England golf with regards to Non Q away scores......
Titleist 915d3 10.5° - Diamana Blue S+ 60g
Titleist 915fd 15.0° - Diamana Blue S+ 70g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 5.5 CONGU
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S

Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I also agree with Hursty about turning in a card every time you play.

The software we used in the proshop at Killian Greens, (when I worked there), had a feature to calculate handicaps. One of the settings was to flag a person's name if they played, but didn't turn in a card. You could set it to automatically email them to ask them to do so.

There were all sorts of options like reducing a person's handicap if they didn't turn in cards. We used to say the software was long on features and short on trust.

Since KG didn't have membership or tournament association, they never used the handicap software except for a few interested people, mostly staff.

As for slope ratings, I've seen people like my cousin with his 7 index at Valhallah in Louisville, Kentucky, (very high Slope), come to KG and see his handicap reduced to 4 by virtue of a much lesser slope.

It's a fair system, IMHO.
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver: JPX-900

Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Posted by Halebopp

I also agree all scores should be returned and some sort of automatic reduction if a player doesn't return 5% or more of his scores. I do wonder how match play scores should be considered, would you post a most likely score for holes not finished? There are also holes where you are not even trying to shoot the best score but just one better than your opponent and try to figure out the safest way to do that. But with the best 8 out of the last 20 rounds counting and not too many holes played like that, the effect is probably quite small or non-existent.

As an example of slope, I as a 9.6 get 4 strokes if I play the easier course at my club from the front tees but if I play the more difficult track from the back, I get 13.

Course Handicap = Exact handicap x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating - Par)

The problem with slope is of course that not all courses are rated equally. For example my old home course and the more difficult track of my current club have pretty much the same course ratings and slopes. The funny thing is if I went to play my old, par 73, home course now, I would be aiming at breaking 80 whereas at my current club, par 72, 85 would be a very good score (83 being my personal course record). I'd bet on a true 15 handicap from that course to beat a true 10 cap from the other course every time. Some handicaps travel better than others but I can only assume that's already an issue in the CONGU. Some handicaps just travel better.
Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
3&5 Wood: MP-650, Orochi Red S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons: MP-H5/4
Driver: MP-650

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Posted by Kgrove

Halebopp wrote:

I also agree all scores should be returned and some sort of automatic reduction if a player doesn't return 5% or more of his scores. I do wonder how match play scores should be considered, would you post a most likely score for holes not finished? There are also holes where you are not even trying to shoot the best score but just one better than your opponent and try to figure out the safest way to do that. But with the best 8 out of the last 20 rounds counting and not too many holes played like that, the effect is probably quite small or non-existent.

As an example of slope, I as a 9.6 get 4 strokes if I play the easier course at my club from the front tees but if I play the more difficult track from the back, I get 13.

Course Handicap = Exact handicap x (Slope Rating/113) + (Course Rating - Par)

The problem with slope is of course that not all courses are rated equally. For example my old home course and the more difficult track of my current club have pretty much the same course ratings and slopes. The funny thing is if I went to play my old, par 73, home course now, I would be aiming at breaking 80 whereas at my current club, par 72, 85 would be a very good score (83 being my personal course record). I'd bet on a true 15 handicap from that course to beat a true 10 cap from the other course every time. Some handicaps travel better than others but I can only assume that's already an issue in the CONGU. Some handicaps just travel better.

I agree that inconsistent ratings and slopes are a big problem. Another example similar to yours: On my home course if I step from the white to the brown tees, the HC system says I should score about 2-3 strokes worse. In actual play, however, everyone I know averages about 7-9 strokes worse on brown vs white tees. That means if I develop my handicap by primarily playing the brown tees vs the white tees, I can inflate my HC by 4-5 strokes. 

As for not turning in scores, golf at it's heart is based on the honor system, so it doesn't bother me that I have to trust other people turn in scores appropriately. I think a better concept is that golfers declare before a round begins whether they will count the score or not. That gives you the freedom to still play a round but practice a new technique or strategy or just plain goof around. From a scoring and fairness perspective, I have more concerns about other issues like gimme puts, mulligans, improved lies, etc. than I do about whether they turn in all their scores. Most of the time it seems golfers are artificially lowering their handicap with all their shenanigans.
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 am

Posted by Bonobobananas

I also think all scores should be returned as the current UK system for me is not responsive enough. I don’t have a major problem with people being too low in their handicap although when you are, it is frustrating that you have no chance in any comps and know it’ll take years to get a competitive handicap back. 

I do have a problem with cheating. Eg a person ripping their 2 iron past my driver whilst claiming an 18 handicap. That said the handicap committee takes a large share of the blame. As said above, Golf relies on an honour system. When it goes missing you may as well not bother playing in handicap events. Theoretically everyone entering a handicap competition should have an equal chance of winning. In reality everyone knows who the club bandits/sandbaggers are.
Author Information

HCP: 8.3
Local club/country: Eaton (Norwich)
Irons: MP18 mb Mod105S
Driver: PingG LST 9º Tour 80

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Posted by RobB2

Ok so i played 3 away courses at the weekend.I played off 8 hcp all 3 days and played to 13,20 and 18 on those days.Rubbish i know but that doesn't mean I'm a double figure player as i have played to or just over my hcp for the past 2 months.If i submitted those cards i think they would be dismissed by my club as they would see my previous scoring and know it was a weekend away with the lads.
Author Information

HCP: 8.2
Local club/country: http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons: MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .Ping Cadence Anser W putter 34"
Driver: Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010