MIZUNO

Does Masters success = business success ?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:34 am

Posted by superhoop

That was a massive Masters for Taylor Made - couldn't have had a more positive or better high profile week - interesting to see if that has any impact on Adidas's long-standing attempts to sell TM and attracts any purchasers ?
Does success at the highest levels of pro golf make the brand more attractive to investors because consumers will want to buy the same kit ?
Or less attractive because there will be upward pressure on the value of contract extensions for Garcia, Rose, etc 
Or perhaps it has no impact whatsoever and success in the elite pro levels is no reflection of business success ?
Author Information

HCP: 18
Local club/country: UK

Re: Does Masters success = business success ?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Posted by Andy Bubba Burgs

How much Callaway gear have you bought since Willett won last year?

Bubba
SWING DNA Speed [82] Tempo [5] ToeDown [3] KickAngle [3] Release [5]
Mizuno JPX900 & 850 - Fujikura Orochi Stiff
Titleist 913 3 Wood & 913H 21° - Diamana S+ Blue 82
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour & MP69 All 4i-PW - KBS S
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 / 56 / 60
Mizuno BC03
Mizuno MP-S
Author Information

HCP: 5.3
Local club/country: Sitwell Park GC @ http://sitwellgolf.co.uk/
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour & MP69 4-PW KBS Tour S Vokey 52, 56, 60, Mizuno Bettinardi BC3
Driver: Mizuno JPX900 & 850 Driver Titleist 913 3 Wood Diamana S+ Blue 62 Stiff

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Posted by superhoop

A few balls, that's all.
But a sample of 1 is not a representative sample.
Even so, there aren't many people who admit to having their purchasing decisions influenced by marketing...even if they have been.

I'm more intrigued by whether TM's success at The Masters will influence the bigger picture of the company's sale - might make them more attractive to the hobbyists out there, the people who want to own a golf company for the prestige and are not so bothered about making money from it - sport in general, and golf in particular, does tend to attract those types of investors.
Author Information

HCP: 18
Local club/country: UK

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Posted by RobB2

Andy Bubba Burgs wrote:

How much Callaway gear have you bought since Willett won last year?

Bubba

I was at the Belfry this time last year having a Driver fitting.Guess what driver was getting the most interest?
Author Information

HCP: 9.1
Local club/country: http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons: MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM TP R9 3 wood 13 deg Matrix HD6 Stiff,Mizuno MPH5 2 iron PX 6.0 .Ping Cadence Anser W putter 34"
Driver: Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff(Currently not in bag)

Sun May 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I'd venture to guess the brand a winner of any tournament uses causes a little spike in sales of that brand for a short time following the event.

On the other hand, a company large enough to buy Taylormade would probably have enough good businessmen on their board to confine their vision to just the numbers.

There's an old saying about sales, how you should sell the sizzle, not the steak.

That might be true up to a point, but TM has even admitted their own problem, issuing new models so quickly nobody wants to buy their equipment new anymore. Vendors are saturated with old stock they need to discount beyond their ability to make a profit. Yet, the people at TM haven't really stopped how they market. Personally, I'm baffled by it all.
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-EZ Forged
Driver: JPX-900

Fri May 12, 2017 3:01 pm

Posted by DGMP

I think the return on investment (for signing Tour players to endorsement contracts) is not good.
However, company executives play golf and they want personal access to the Tour players, so they pay them.
Author Information

HCP: 2
Local club/country: United States
Irons: MP5
Driver: JPX-EZ

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010