MIZUNO

Suitable set for a rank beginner?

Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 am

Posted by Dexin

Hi all. I have only recently tried golf but really enjoyed the couple of rounds I have played with a work colleague of mine. I would really like to pursue it further to see if it something I would like to continue with. Obviously, at this stage, I don't want to spend a fortune on clubs, as it might turn out not to be for me, so I will be looking for a used secondhand set of clubs for sale from a classified ads or auction website. Having said that, I did like the feel of the Mizuno clubs that my work colleague plays with (he let me share). I asked him what he thought about me buying a second hand set and he agreed it was a good idea in principle. But he also explained that there are many different Mizuno models of club and that what is right for one person might not be right for the next. So he recommended that I check out this forum and ask the question here so I can get the opinions of as many Mizuno users as possible. So my question is this: if I am going to buy some secondhand Mizuno clubs as a rank beginner, what models would you recommend I try starting out with? Bearing in mind that I can always upgrade at a later date. I have been checking what is available used for sale online at http://www.for-sale.ie/golf-clubs and there is quite a bit to choose from. Any thoughts or advice that anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dexin on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Author Information

Local club/country: Galway Golf Club, Ireland

Re: Suitable set for a rank beginner?

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Posted by MPX

Dexin

Any of these should work out for you - more or less in order of newness

JPX850
JPX825
JPX EZ
JPX800
MX900
MX100
MX19

Not the Pro or Forged versions. 
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

HCP: 12
Local club/country: UK
Irons: MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), MP-T5 wedges (52/56)
Driver: JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Posted by DMT

Once you have your clubs it might be worth popping to a local pro and getting the lie angles checked.  Should only be a few pounds/euros but could make a big difference.

Not sure to what extent all of the suggestions can be bent but I think they should all allow it.

Good luck! 
Author Information

HCP: 7.5
Local club/country: Celtic Manor
Irons: JPX 850 Forged KBS Stiff (5-PW) 50, 56 and 60 degree Vokeys, 64 Cleveland
Driver: Titleist 915 D2 Whiteboard stiff

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Posted by zombie

The models MPX listed will be fab for you.  I made a big mistake and picked MP53 irons when my game was in the formative stages and that held me back big time.

You'll get some great bargains 2nd hand and as DMT says invest a few quid getting them checked, also beware of clubs with worn grips as this will impair your progress.  Yes you can get them re-gripped but that can cost a wee chunk of cash so that's worth checking.

Let us know how you get on Dexin and maybe we even have a local forum member with a spare set in the garage/shed that you could utilise?
Ping G SF Tec driver
Mizuno JPX EZ 3 wood
Titleist AP1 3i to PW
Mizuno MP-R12 50
Mizuno MP-R12 56
Cleveland CG15 62
Scotty Cameron Newport M1
Author Information

HCP: 15.5
Local club/country: Craigielaw - East Lothian

Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:43 am

Posted by DCB

Played both the MX900 and JPX800s at some stage or other and both were good for my game. Easy to hit and forgiving, ideal combination.

I'm playing the 2014 JPX Ezs at the moment and they are the easiest club to hit ....ever .... ;)
“Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose”

Winston S Churchill
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX EZ 5-SW RL Shafts, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood,
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye RL Shaft

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:04 am

Posted by Halebopp

I believe MPX simply forgot to add JPX 825 in there and possibly JPX EZ (2014 model with orange badges).

With the number of options available, it would be beneficial to get a set with a somewhat suitable shaft. What kind of athletic background do you have, strength, bat-and-ball or racquet games etc.? Some shafts might be too heavy or too light for you making it harder for you to learn to hit the ball.
Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6

Driver: MP-650, 9.5, Orochi Red S
2 Hybrid: JPX-850, Orochi S
3 Iron: MP-H5, KBS Tour S
4-PW: MP-4, KBS Tour S
50*: MP-T5, DG Wedge
55* & 59: W/S FG Tour PMP, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi C01H, BC4
Author Information

HCP: 9.5
Local club/country: Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons: MP-H5/4
Driver: MP-650

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am

Posted by Dexin

Thanks for all the pointers gents. Very much appreciated. 

Halebop, cross-country running on a very amateur basis. I'll consult my friend about the shaft weight and see if he has any insights.
Author Information

Local club/country: Galway Golf Club, Ireland

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 am

Posted by MPX

Good spot Halebop
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

HCP: 12
Local club/country: UK
Irons: MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), MP-T5 wedges (52/56)
Driver: JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am

Posted by DCB

Well, how has the OP got on with this, any success finding something suitable ?
“Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an ever smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose”

Winston S Churchill
Author Information

HCP: 15
Local club/country: Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons: My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX EZ 5-SW RL Shafts, JPX825 3H, JPX 5 & 7 Wood,
Driver: JPX EZ 12° Orochi Black Eye RL Shaft

Tue May 02, 2017 9:26 am

Posted by Steve Smith

Dexin wrote:

Hi all. I have only recently tried golf but really enjoyed the couple of rounds I have played with a work colleague of mine. I would really like to pursue it further to see if it something I would like to continue with. Obviously, at this stage, I don't want to spend a fortune on clubs, as it might turn out not to be for me, so I will be looking for a used secondhand set of clubs for sale from a classified ads or auction website. Having said that, I did like the feel of the Mizuno clubs that my work colleague plays with (he let me share). I asked him what he thought about me buying a second hand set and he agreed it was a good idea in principle. But he also explained that there are many different Mizuno models of club and that what is right for one person might not be right for the next. So he recommended that I check out this forum and ask the question here so I can get the opinions of as many Mizuno users as possible. So my question is this: if I am going to buy some secondhand Mizuno clubs as a rank beginner, what models would you recommend I try starting out with? Bearing in mind that I can always upgrade at a later date. I have been checking what is available used for sale online at http://www.for-sale.ie/golf-clubs and there is quite a bit to choose from. Any thoughts or advice that anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There really are no hard and fast rules. My personal advice would be to try to pick up a set of something like a second set of MX20's. They still have the grain flow forging of the Mizuno blades and will offer lovely feedback whilst giving you a lot a forgiveness with weight in the sole to help you get the ball in the air. You can pick these up for around £100 these days. If you are serious about the game then you need to go for a forged iron IMHO, that is how you will improve. Hope this helps and take care. Steve

Author Information

HCP: 13.4 ha ha
Local club/country: Whitley Bay,Tyne and Wear, England
Irons: Mizuno MP32 2-PW, Mizuno MP14 2-SW, MP37 3-W, TP9 3-SW
Driver: Mizuno JPX825 - 9 degree Orochi Red - Stiff, Mizuno MP600 - 9 degree Grafalloy Prolaunch, Mizuno Pro 300S Fujikura Vista Pro 70 stiff

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010