MIZUNO

N.E. Wales golf courses

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:39 am

Posted by LOS

Anyone have any experience of playing Northop, Hawarden, Mold, Old Padeswood, Padeswood & Buckley, & Holywell Golf Clubs ?

We are thinking of taking up the golf pass offer
http://shop.gonorthwales.co.uk/golf-pas ... -golf-pass
Author Information

Local club/country: England

Re: N.E. Wales golf courses

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm

Posted by PaulBoy

LOS wrote:

Anyone have any experience of playing Northop, Hawarden, Mold, Old Padeswood, Padeswood & Buckley, & Holywell Golf Clubs ?

We are thinking of taking up the golf pass offer
http://shop.gonorthwales.co.uk/golf-pas ... -golf-pass

Jonsey (user name GraemeJones) is a member at Padeswood, so in case he doesn't spot this thread it might be worth sending a pm for his considered opinion (?)
Cheers ... Paul
JPX900F 4-PW CTaperLite S
MP-T7 50* 54* 58*
JPX900 Aldila Rogue 60s
JPX900 3w & JPX850 5w
Scotty Cameron Newport II putter
Author Information

HCP: 4.5
Local club/country: Guildford GC & New Forest GC
Irons: JPX900F 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Driver: JPX 900 c/w Aldila Rogue 60s

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:21 pm

Posted by GraemeJones

Hello yes I'm a member at Padeswood & Buckley (lovely course) 

hawarden and Mold are nice courses but VERY hilly in places 

Northop used to be the dogs nads but a bit ropey last time I played it but I have been told it's back on the up.

Holywell is like marmite you'll either love it or hate it. Personally I like it. it's a quirky track with some tricky holes and some sheep wondering around the course (No that's not why I like it lol)

Old padeswood has gone downhill since the owner leased it out to the members not enough cash flow to keep it in good condition 

Anything else you want to know just ask cheers

Jonesy
Graeme 'My putting is a lot better recently' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 4.0
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Posted by LOS

GraemeJones wrote:

Northop used to be the dogs nads but a bit ropey last time I played it but I have been told it's back on the up.

Holywell is like marmite you'll either love it or hate it. Personally I like it. it's a quirky track with some tricky holes and some sheep wondering around the course (No that's not why I like it lol)

Old padeswood has gone downhill since the owner leased it out to the members not enough cash flow to keep it in good condition 

Jonesy

Thanks Jonesy. Do you have any idea what the quality of the lunchtime food is like at these clubs?
Author Information

Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 am

Posted by GraemeJones

LOS wrote:

GraemeJones wrote:

Jonesy

Thanks Jonesy. Do you have any idea what the quality of the lunchtime food is like at these clubs?

I'd say there are all kind of pub lunch type menus not bad but I'm no good connoisseur haha 

Jonesy 
Graeme 'My putting is a lot better recently' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 4.0
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Posted by LOS

GraemeJones wrote:

I'd say there are all kind of pub lunch type menus not bad but I'm no good connoisseur haha 

Jonesy 

Thanks again
Author Information

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Posted by BigPete

I've played all these too and was at Padeswood and Buckley last year (currently at Northop but not playing much) 

I'd echo Graeme's thoughts. Apart from Northop, they're all fairly typical, established, local member's courses with their own idiocyncracies.

I can recommend Padeswood and Buckley as far as overall condition and clubhouse welcome are concerned and probably the most consistently good greens.

All of these courses are fairly tight and short rather than big open blasters. You wouldn't need a driver too often round most of these. Holywell would probably be my second choice too. Hilltop / heathland course but a nice traditional feel to it. 

Northop is a strange beast. Originally set up as a potential tour venue and linked to a local DeVere hotel. It then changed hands a few times and was the victim of politics and housing developments meaning some rerouting of certain holes. Nowadays it's being run by it's members and is obviously missing the investment needed to keep it's large acerage in top nick. It's very playable but nowhere near as good as it once was. The grand old clubhouse hads been sold off and is now a foody pub, which has had mixed reviews as far as I'm aware. The newly built golf clubhouse is functional without being inspiring 
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 am

Posted by LOS

BigPete wrote:

I've played all these too and was at Padeswood and Buckley last year (currently at Northop but not playing much) 

I'd echo Graeme's thoughts. Apart from Northop, they're all fairly typical, established, local member's courses with their own idiocyncracies.

I can recommend Padeswood and Buckley as far as overall condition and clubhouse welcome are concerned and probably the most consistently good greens.

All of these courses are fairly tight and short rather than big open blasters. You wouldn't need a driver too often round most of these. Holywell would probably be my second choice too. Hilltop / heathland course but a nice traditional feel to it. 

Northop is a strange beast. Originally set up as a potential tour venue and linked to a local DeVere hotel. It then changed hands a few times and was the victim of politics and housing developments meaning some rerouting of certain holes. Nowadays it's being run by it's members and is obviously missing the investment needed to keep it's large acerage in top nick. It's very playable but nowhere near as good as it once was. The grand old clubhouse hads been sold off and is now a foody pub, which has had mixed reviews as far as I'm aware. The newly built golf clubhouse is functional without being inspiring 

A belated thanks Pete though it looks as though we will be going for the Coastal Pass instead.
Author Information

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010