MIZUNO

Re: off centre strikes

Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:51 am

Posted by Kevmc

seanmor wrote:

Kevmc wrote:

have a look at this video John, helped me a lot, I bought some of the scholl athletes foot spray which is great for checking out off centre strikes as I know those stickers can be expensive ;) 

heel strikes 

also have a practise addressing out of heel( opposite of others suggestion) then try and hit out of middle or even toe, you will find yourself unknowingly keeping yourself back in stance and not tilting forward toward ball during downswing which i suspect you may well be doing..

if you can post a video of you hitting the driver ;)

Hi Keven,

That looks interesting next time I'm down at the course/ range I'll give that a go

I'll see if I can take a video of my swing and load it up but you all have to promise not to laugh to much as my swing is not a  pretty sight...! :shock:

I cant do a video at the moment as my I-Phone decided to give up the ghost and I'm waiting on a new one getting delivered in the next day or so but I'll see what I can do once I have it,

Cheers John :up:

;)
If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.
Author Information

HCP: 9
Local club/country: Kirkhill Golf Club
Irons: MpH5 2&3 and Mp5 4-pw KBS C-Taper Lite 110
Driver: JPX850 Motore Speeder 6.3 9.5U 1 wieght in D

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 am

Posted by Celtic_Bil

Kevmc wrote:

also have a practise addressing out of heel( opposite of others suggestion) then try and hit out of middle or even toe, you will find yourself unknowingly keeping yourself back in stance and not tilting forward toward ball during downswing which i suspect you may well be doing..

Morning Kev

Agree with this mate, this is almost what I was trying to say.  Mainly avoid addressing/setting up the ball with the toe of the club, but try striking with the toe.  So addressing with the heel would work.

After posting about this yesterday I went to the range and shanked over 50% of my short pitch shots......  Nightmare, need to start toe striking myself now...  :sick: 
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
MP650 19/22 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye 85 S
MP5 4-PW DG S300
S5 Blue Ion 52/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 8
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:43 am

Posted by seanmor

Celtic_Bil wrote:

After posting about this yesterday I went to the range and shanked over 50% of my short pitch shots......  Nightmare, need to start toe striking myself now...  :sick: 

Morning Wayne,

Remind me not to take any notice of anything you post about curing off centre strike problems...! ;)

Cheers John :D
JPX900 Driver EVO 2 569 S-Flex
3 Fairway 15deg " " R-Flex
Hybrid 19deg Fuji SIX R-Flex
Hybrid 22deg " " R-Flex
JPX850 5-PW XP105 R
Wedges 50/54/58deg DG Wedge Flex
Mizuno Procart bag
Odyssey Oworks R-Line putter
Author Information

HCP: 20.6 SGU
Local club/country: Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Posted by Celtic_Bil

seanmor wrote:

Celtic_Bil wrote:

Morning Wayne,

Remind me not to take any notice of anything you post about curing off centre strike problems...! ;)

Haha, no worries John.  Another piece of advice is not to stand to the right of me from 60 yards in...  :)
87-4-4-5-6 (85-4-3-4-4)
JPX850 10.5 Fujikura Orochi 60 S (1 & Draw)
Titleist 915F 15 Diamana Blue S+ 70 S
MP650 19/22 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye 85 S
MP5 4-PW DG S300
S5 Blue Ion 52/58 DG Wedge
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
Author Information

HCP: 8
Local club/country: Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire http://www.hunleyhotel.co.uk/
Irons: MP5/MP54
Driver: JPX850

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Posted by seanmor

Celtic_Bil wrote:

seanmor wrote:

Celtic_Bil wrote:

Morning Wayne,

Haha, no worries John.  Another piece of advice is not to stand to the right of me from 60 yards in...  :)

....:D :up:
Hybrid 22deg " " R-Flex
JPX850 5-PW XP105 R
Mizuno Procart bag
Author Information

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Posted by seanmor

Played 12 holes this morning and was hitting the driver a bit more out of the centre I did have two or three off centre strikes but tended to hit more of my drives from in and around the centre than I had been doing previously,

One of the things I had been working on the last time was trying to extend my back swing and also trying to delay an early wrist release that I suffer from on the down swing, and I think that's been the problem it's basically affected the timing and tempo of my down swing, I've always had a short back swing and any attempts that I've made in the past to change that has always ended in disaster,

So this morning I reverted back to my normal short back swing and just let things happen naturally and from the off I was driving the ball a lot better, I'm just going to have to stick with the swing I have as any attempts to change it and my game goes out the window...!

Cheers

John :D
Attachments
  • _DSC7204.JPG
    _DSC7204.JPG [ 51 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]
  • _DSC7151.JPG
    _DSC7151.JPG [ 41.53 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]
Hybrid 22deg " " R-Flex
JPX850 5-PW XP105 R
Mizuno Procart bag
Author Information

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Posted by Kgrove

seanmor wrote:

So this morning I reverted back to my normal short back swing and just let things happen naturally and from the off I was driving the ball a lot better, I'm just going to have to stick with the swing I have as any attempts to change it and my game goes out the window...!

It's a choice we all make. Swing changes often make you worse before they make you better. You have to be willing to commit and spend the time getting the right motion and then program them into your muscle memory, and often it will make your game more inconsistent for some time. Speaking for myself, I nearly always kick the can down the road and promise myself that I'll fix things the next off season, but my swing today has the same flaws that it had 30 years ago.

But next year, I'm coming back in good shape with more flexibility and a totally revamped swing!
Author Information

HCP: 12
Local club/country: USA
Irons: MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver: JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Posted by The Badger

You're Coming Over the Top on your Downswing...
THE BADGER-7
Author Information

HCP: 14
Local club/country: United States
Irons: Mizuno-JPX Forged-4-GW
Driver: Taylormade-440cc-9.5-UTS

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Posted by GraemeJones

The shaft is too long !!!! Cut 6 inches off then it will fit in the bin hahaha

Jonesy
Graeme 'My putting is a lot better recently' Jones
Author Information

HCP: CONGU 3.5
Local club/country: http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons: JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver: Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

As consistently as you struck the heel position on your driver, I could only conclude you have a minor adjustment to make with your setup.

To me, it looks like you are hitting the ball in the same place on the face every time.

Now, I won't totally discount a swing error, but as consistently as you hit that heel spot, to me it suggests a ball position and setup error you should look into first.

It looks more like a setup error that makes your natural swing come through on the heel. Infinitesimal as it may sound, how about standing an inch closer to the ball? How about putting the ball an inch od so back in your stance?

If you begin to hit the ball in the center of the face and still slice, THEN you should be worried about your swing.
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver: JPX-900

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010