MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Re: Ex Nike players

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

Imagine the impact it would make if they wore the Mizuno name and running bird somewhere on their clothes!
I've had a good day if I didn't fall out of the cart...
Author Information

HCP: Old Age
Local club/country: Public Courses
Irons: JPX-900 Hot Metal
Driver: JPX-900

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

This morning, as the PGA Merchandise Show opened, Tiger Woods announced he would be using Taylormade clubs. It was pretty well concluded before that he would use an M2 driver, but now he seems to have confirmed his use of the irons too.

I haven't heard whether his new irons are standard production models or whether they are a custom built set to duplicate his Nike muscle back blades.

At the risk of being crass, I wonder how much they are paying him. This is being promoted like he experimented with a ton of equipment and chose to play Taylormade. Maybe he did, but I can't help but wonder if he would have chosen them without a big payday?

I also have to wonder how Taylormade will advertise from this point forward. If they are smart, they might use Tiger as part of their restructuring plan and save the company from being sold. It's a stretch, but who knows? Maybe Tiger got points in the company.

An aside - On my bucket list, I want to attend a merchandise show. A pro friend was supposed to get me a credential this year, but I guess he conveniently forgot because he hasn't replied to my email for about a week. My bucket list is starting to look like a list of things I'll never get to do.
Author Information

Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

Here's an article that just arrived in my email.

Link

(EDIT) I'm now hearing a report that Tiger still has his Nike irons in his bag and will work with Taylormade to produce a new model he will actually use. Nobody apparently knows exactly when he will actually have Taylormade irons in his bag.
Author Information

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Posted by RobB2

DennisMiller wrote:

Here's an article that just arrived in my email.

Link

(EDIT) I'm now hearing a report that Tiger still has his Nike irons in his bag and will work with Taylormade to produce a new model he will actually use. Nobody apparently knows exactly when he will actually have Taylormade irons in his bag.

According to WRX post earlier today.They will be working together to develop a custom set of irons and also fine tuning the grinds on his wedges.Might be a while before we see them though!
Author Information

HCP: 8.2
Local club/country: http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons: MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .Ping Cadence Anser W putter 34"
Driver: Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

RobB2 wrote:

According to WRX post earlier today.They will be working together to develop a custom set of irons and also fine tuning the grinds on his wedges.Might be a while before we see them though!

That's pretty much what they said on tv this morning.

One thing though, unlike the Callaway irons Rory is using, which aren't a currently running model and look to be a duplicate of his old Nike blades, they said on tv that Tiger wants to help design a new model Taylormade iron that will be available in the market, but they just don't know when.
Author Information

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Posted by MPX

Very sad after all the hype that TIger signed to play clubs that don't exist yet.  How TM think golfers are so dumb that they'all believe he signed for the equipment is beyond me.

$$$$$$$$$$$$
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

HCP: 12
Local club/country: UK
Irons: MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), R-Series wedges (52/56)
Driver: JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

MPX wrote:

Very sad after all the hype that TIger signed to play clubs that don't exist yet.  How TM think golfers are so dumb that they'all believe he signed for the equipment is beyond me.

$$$

I tend to agree, but the question in my mind is this. Can Taylormade make a profit based on sales of their clubs to the general population who want them based on nothing more than Tiger plays them? Can they overcome the cost of Tiger's endorsement and relative advertising it will cost to get the word out... LOOK - Tiger plays our clubs!!!

As a retired businessman, watching a company for sale continue in the market, I wonder if they could change their business model and use Tiger, Dustin Johnson and Jason Day as their advertising leads to turn their company around.

How long can Taylormade be for sale before it simply costs to much to maintain operations and reach the point it has to be shut down. There are TONS of Taylormade players on every tour. Imagine the flood if all of them looked for new equipment. It would make the Nike closure look like a dripping faucet.
Author Information

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Posted by Brattz

Dennis,

The alternative view is that Nike now have Tiger, Rory and Jason Day in their clothing. Will they now target DJ from Adidas as well? They seem to pushing for clothing only contracts with a ton of top players. What I wonder is if they will now take a sizeable stake in TaylorMade.... They don't need to run the club side then, but could make a fair chunk of money from not having to deal with the club making / bags / balls / marketing etc. what they would have is a load of top players wearing their gear on course and using "their clubs", something they couldn't manage on their own.....
Titleist 915d3 10.5° - Diamana Blue S+ 60g
Titleist 915fd 15.0° - Diamana Blue S+ 70g
Mizuno MP-H4 3i - DG S300
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW - DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 Forged 50°/10°,54°/10°,58°/10°
Cleveland SmartSq FBCSM 35"
Srixon Z-Star XV
Author Information

HCP: 5.5 CONGU
Local club/country: Beeston Fields, England www.beestonfields.co.uk
Irons: Mizuno MP-25 4-PW
Driver: Titleist 915 D3 - Diamana S+ Blue 60S

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:07 pm

Posted by DennisMiller

I'm just hearing an announcement on tv that Michelle Wie will be playing Callaway equipment.

Brattz - I think it's two very different issues. While I'm sure there are people who wear clothing that might match their brand of equipment, I don't think it's such a big influence like golfers wanting to play the same brand their favorite pro plays. For that matter, I know a few golfers who are so intent on playing what their favorite pro plays that they maintain their 20 handicap by playing the same muscle back blades as the pro.

Most golfers I know will wear clothing they like the looks of without regards to the logo. For that matter, as expensive as clothing has become, most people I know buy what's on sale.

Without the struggles of an equipment division, maybe Nike will target a few golfers, but I don't see them pulling away too many whose clothing also advertises their equipment. That's a pretty high dollar contract and Nike would have to spend a fortune with a player like Dustin. The ROI seems pretty fragile to me.
Author Information

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:28 am

Posted by OhBoy!

MPX wrote:

$$$$$$

The way Woods is playing at the Farmers Insurance thingy, he'll be able to spend all of Saturday and Sunday promoting the new TM products from an on course kiosk .....
Author Information

HCP: 7.8 or 8.0
Local club/country: Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons: I ❤️ed my MP 53's; T7 50/56/60 deg.; Odyssey White Ice #7 (Al insert) before being stolen.
Driver: JPX 900. JPX EZ 2016 15, 19 & 22 deg.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010