MIZUNO

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Re: Rust on Forged irons - how to avoid?

Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Posted by BigPete

Whiteman wrote:

If my 53s rust (and they will according to this thread as I live in the tropics, throw them in the shed or the back of the car, clean them only every now and then, hit the occasional practice session on my beach) ... then I'll buy another set. Probably the 54s. Golf clubs are cheap compared to membership, balls, comp fees, clothes, practice facilities, lessons .... etc.

I feel similar to this - I'm not thinking about resale value of my clubs. I'll use them til they die if I like em. So paradoxically if I really like a club I will abuse it (see wedges) so it won't be worth selling and I won't be tempted to get rid. I clean my irons properly maybe every 20 or 30 rounds and they live in my van mostly. No rust and they still scrub up pretty well.

I reckon I'll get 4 or 5 seasons out of my 52s - I imagine my next set will be jpx801 pros maybe...
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 am

Posted by bhoywonder

Clubs have came back from Mizuno who have said that they are fine and that its totally acceptable for the clubs to rust within a week of getting them..........

Not happy. Ive asked retailer to escalate this as dont think this is acceptable.

MPX would be interested to hear your thoughts on this please. Surely this is not right.
Author Information

HCP: 7
Local club/country: Cochrane Castle
Irons: MP53's 4-PW
Driver: Titelist 910D2

Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am

Posted by MPX

Will talk to the factory and get some more specific feedback.
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

HCP: 12
Local club/country: UK
Irons: MP-H5 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), R-Series wedges (52/56)
Driver: JPX EZ 10.5 driver, JPX EZ 3 & 5 wood.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 am

Posted by bhoywonder

Thanks MPX - appreciated. If I can work out how to, ill PM you the returns authorisation number I received
Author Information

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:33 am

Posted by MPX

bhoywonder

Looks like you had some minor grit damage combined with some moisture.

Your irons should have come back cleaned up without the small rust spots you showed on the pics?

If you keep them dry and run occassional lubricant over them as described, no reason the spots should return.

Are they free of spots now?
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 am

Posted by bhoywonder

Clubs are just about free of the rust spots, but they are still noticable on the PW unfortunately.

Unfortunately this whole episode has left a rather sour taste in my mouth. The irons look and feel great (well look great without any rust on them!) but disappointed that rust spots have appeared. Perhaps Mizuno need to consider exactly how they get the message across about the upkeep of these irons, as most people who buy these irons will not realise that you need to treat these irons in a different way from virtually all other sets of irons out there (which wont rust after a week, irrespective of whether been dried properly or oiled!). The small tag put on one of the clubs isnt enough.
Author Information

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:21 am

Posted by MPX

If you're free of rust spots - no reason they'll return if you look after them.

Mizuno do put the care tag on every set - and there is a 'care' button on every page of the forged irons / wedges on our site. Although we'll have another look over and make this more prominent if necessary.

Overall - you can't get the feel / performance of the forged product without the potential risk of rust. If you want super durable clubs that can't rust, then a cast golf club is the way to go.

Hopefully given a few more rounds, you'll love the pay off enough to make up for the need to dry the irons between rounds.
Author Information
Mizuno staff  

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 am

Posted by bhoywonder

Thanks MPX. There was a small tag on one of the irons, however lets be honest, will anyone ever read it. I didnt realise that forged clubs had such a high risk of rusting and the additional care required and im sure most other club golfers out there are the same. Club feel is great and im already starting to see the benefits. There must though be a better way that you can inform golfers of how to look after them as they are totally different from most clubs out there.

Would I buy these again knowing now what I have found out?? Definitely. The clubs are fantastic. I just think Mizuno need to get the message out a lot clearer rather than putting a tag on one of the irons (cause lets face it, when a new set of irons turn up, the last thing 99% of us are gonna do is read a tag!)
Author Information

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 am

Posted by BigPete

If only Mizuno had some kind of forum where you could contact staff members for advice and look up previous questions that might pertain to your own. Oh wait.

Sorry - this wasn't meant to come off as sarcastically as it probably reads. The point being that this forum serves all sorts of purposes, one being a place to look for advice and also a "right to reply" from both Mizuno and the customers.

I see it as quite a powerful resource that not many OEMs offer their customers, and one of the reasons most Mizuno players are users for life. Would you have been able to have such a transparent, open, frank, public coversation about your greivances with any other brand, whilst also receiving feedback from staff members themselves?

Love your clubs and they will love you back unconditionally for years to come :)
Cobra L4v PX 6.0
Tour Edge 3 wood PX 6.0
Mizuno MP33 3 - PW S300
Mizuno MP T10 54 60 wedge flex
Mizuno MP A306 Winn midsize
Author Information

HCP: 11.4
Local club/country: Northop

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 am

Posted by mattymp62

bhoywonder wrote:

cause lets face it, when a new set of irons turn up, the last thing 99% of us are gonna do is read a tag!

The care advice is not unique to Mizuno forgings, it's the same for any chrome plated metal. Not sure you get any advice from other OEM's.
Club Champion 2011
69 - 72 = 141
Author Information

HCP: 2.8
Local club/country: Cherwell Edge GC
Irons: MP-62

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to

Copyright Mizuno 2010