hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
[attachment=0]8953: 2017-06-25 03-57-07-810x810.jpg[/attachment]DennisMiller said:
Hey gang...

I have to be honest about this... I've sort of gone over to the dark side.

Just for the time being, I'm the Darth Vader of the Mizuno Forum.
Feel free to change your profile picture and name, from now on you shall be known as Darth Miller

Attachments

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I consider it the highest honor that you still speak to me!!!

Playing with Mizuno equipment really creates a strange phenomena, at least for me. I've mentioned in the past that I always keep a spare set of clubs for friends who travel, so they don't need to pay airlines to check their clubs as baggage. I had thought about selling that set because it's been a couple years that nobody has asked to use them.

I wasn't able to attract any attention for the Mizuno JPX-825 irons I wanted to sell, but what Callaway Preowned gave me as a trade in was within $20 or so after I calculated what I might actually sell them for, minus the ad fee, the final valuation fee, the shipping cost and the Paypal fee.

I decided to trade for something I thought maybe would have a better chance of selling, something I felt I could buy cheap and probably get my money out of in the long run. I'm no stranger to arbitrage and have done similar things with guitars and other golf clubs.

When these TaylorMade irons arrived, I sort of liked the looks of them and decided to play with them one time. I hit some pretty good shots and was surprised with the feel, so I stuck my usual jumbo grips on them and bought an hour in the booth at Planet Golf. I split that into 2 days, 30 minutes each, but it turned into longer for free since nobody was around on the rainy second day.

There was no denying the numbers. I'm a good club longer with the TM RSi-1 irons.

The weird phenomena is, I pretty much don't care because they aren't Mizunos. I have this crazy, weird, unexplainable idea that I simply want to play Mizuno clubs, almost regardless of any shortcomings they might reflect compared to whatever other brand.

What I'll be doing in the coming days is cutting the grips off the Mizuno JPX-EZ irons. (Maybe Planet Golf can blow them off and salvage them that way) Having used tungsten pellets to backweight them, I need to figure out how to increase that weight, or cut them down slightly and backweight them again in hopes of creating a club 1/2" to 3/4" longer, but that I can swing as fast as the TM.

It's just an engineering problem to solve and I know I'll figure it out eventually. I know I like the 2016 EZ Forged irons. I just have to get them to like me.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I am currently in Kingston, Jamaica for my mother-in- law's funeral. With little to do last night after we left the hospital, I was looking on eBay and found a set of 850 irons, regular graphite, 1" longer. I've asked the seller for the serial number to call Mizuno and makes sure they have the B head, after which I'lli decide whether to bid.

Much as I like the EZ Forged, the math isn't working on lengthening them, back weighting them and even with my jumbo grips, they still feels heavy. With the B head, little difference as it may seem, I have a fighting chance. I am determined to return to the fold.

(EDIT)

Everything looks good. Now to decide whether to use the BIN or bid... Probably better off with the BIN.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The 850 irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I immediately put my favorite jumbo grips on them and I hope to use them for the first time on Friday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually feels good emotionally to have Mizunos in my bag again.

Now my bag includes the 900 driver, 850 3 wood, 900 hybrid, 850 irons, 56* and 60* Ray Cook wedges with a TM Spyder putter.

My only remaining experiment is with golf balls. I have a lot of trouble seeing the ball in the air. I tried the Volvik Vivid and their red color is easier to see, but it's nearly impossible for me to see on the ground. Any orange ball I tried, (Bridgestone e6, Titleist V3 or Volvik Vivid), aren't easily visible in the air or on the ground. Optic Yellow is not as easy to see in the ari, but at least I can usually find the silly thing on the ground.

I don't know any other colors to try and trying various shades of sunglasses haven't helped either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
DennisMiller said:
The 850 irons arrived yesterday afternoon. I immediately put my favorite jumbo grips on them and I hope to use them for the first time on Friday.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually feels good emotionally to have Mizunos in my bag again.

Now my bag includes the 900 driver, 850 3 wood, 900 hybrid, 850 irons, 56* and 60* Ray Cook wedges with a TM Spyder putter.

My only remaining experiment is with golf balls. I have a lot of trouble seeing the ball in the air. I tried the Volvik Vivid and their red color is easier to see, but it's nearly impossible for me to see on the ground. Any orange ball I tried, (Bridgestone e6, Titleist V3 or Volvik Vivid), aren't easily visible in the air or on the ground. Optic Yellow is not as easy to see in the ari, but at least I can usually find the silly thing on the ground.

I don't know any other colors to try and trying various shades of sunglasses haven't helped either. Does anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried the Chromesoft for Chromesoft X Truvis - the red and white or yellow and black "soccer balls"? I generally don't have problems seeing the ball and sometimes use the Truvis just because I enjoy seeing the spin on the ball near the green. I don't know if it actually helps me at all, but it's interesting. I like the Chromesoft and CS-X, but I have to admit it seems like my best / longest drives come on ProV1 or ProV1X (I almost never play anything but CS and ProV1). It could be coincidence or a placebo effect as I've never given them an honest test.

But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded, but my friend can be a little wild and tells me in the rough the yellow and black are less easily found than the red and white if the grass has any yellow and brown tints to it, like dead grass. Both color schemes seem pretty visible in the air. I wish other manufacturers would be able to work their way around the patent or trademark and produce balls with similar color schemes. I'd be all over a ProV1 made to look like a World Cup soccer ball pattern.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
"But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded"

if that is the case.... why aren't you on tour winning majors? Or is this just a major case of golfing hubris?

personally I use the Srixon Z Star XV and find their brilliant white very easy to see both in the air and on the ground.

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Brattz said:
"But back to the point... try the Truvis and see if it helps. Personally, I'm always dead center in the middle of the fairway and could likely find my ball blindfolded"

if that is the case.... why aren't you on tour winning majors? Or is this just a major case of golfing hubris?

personally I use the Srixon Z Star XV and find their brilliant white very easy to see both in the air and on the ground.
It was a joke... sarcasm. The "friend" that knows which color Truvis balls can best be found in the sticks and under which conditions is me. I hit about 65% of fairways, so just a touch off winning majors. Sorry... sarcasm popping up again.

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
Went to the range with my new toys. Shots low on the face I knew all about but they still travelled well. The MP-H5 are beautiful to hit, even the 2i. Have 7 to PW in the 900f. Very happy. Thinking of changing my putter. Been looking at the Odyssey O-works range. #1 wide has caught my eye. Any other suggestions to look at?

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Fluffywan said:
The MP-H5 are beautiful to hit, even the 2i. 
I have the MPH5 2i and agree. It goes too far for me - too close to my 5W and too far away from my 4i for proper distance gapping. At the time I bought it I thought I'd use it more purely as a 5W replacement and trade the 5W and 2i as my 14th club depending on conditions, but I have space in my bag and am finding the gap between my 5W and 4i is too much... puts me in a bind when I have a shot in the 210-215 range.

I wanted to add 3i and for some reason I opted for a used Titleist 716 T-MB 3i...  a big mistake. The 716 T-MB is WAY less comfortable to hit than the H5 2i. It's good on dead center hits, but it is awful with just minor misses... much less forgiving than the H5. If I miss the H5 a bit, I lose a lot of difference, but it doesn't feel like punishment. The T-MB feels like it's punishing me for a bad life.  

I should have either ordered an H5 3-iron or maybe filled out my set with an MP5 3i. In any case, this 716 T-MB is about to hit eBay. I hate it, which surprises me given the feedback I've heard from other T-MB and 712U owners who rave about them as driving irons.

(I should mention that 99% of the time, I am using either the 2i or 3i off teeboxes, not fairways)

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Have done a swap of my 900 Forged to a set of MP5s with PX 6.0 shafts in.

Not necessarily the shafts im after but will try them out for a while before deciding on keeping them or swapping to the CTaper Tours.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm in the process of a swap too. As difficult as it may be to imagine, I didn't like the feel of the 850 irons I recently got. I'm going back to my older 825 irons.

The performance of the 850 irons never came into question, but they felt differently in a way I didn't like as much as before. The way my game has deteriorated in recent years, compounded by not seeing the ball in the air very often, all I have left to enjoy is the feel of a good shot. Take that away and I'll quit.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Bought MP5 (S300) last year and sold my backup set of MP54 (XP S300) to a friend.  Didn't really want to sell them as they had been one of my most consistent sets of irons.  Have been using my MP5 since.
A set of new MP54 with S300 shafts came up on the Mizuno Buy & Sell facebook page for £300 a few months ago, so I bought them.  Just switched across to them last week and falling back in love again.  Helped me to third place in the Club Champs over the weekend, albeit a weak event this year with only one + handicap golfer and 1 other below 4.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Hi all.

New to the forum.

My WITB has or will soon have:

Driver: Mizuno MP650 9.5* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
FW: Mizuno MP650 15* + UST Mamiya Elements Prototype PT6F5.
HY: Mizuno MP650 19* & 22* + UST Elements Earth 80x
Irons: Mizuno Yoro MP4/54 + Fire Express DGL 120x
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52/58 + Fire Express DGL 120x
Putter: Rife Island Series Barbados.

I love JDM gear so there's a sprinkling of that in my bag, and there probably always will be. I will post pics as soon as some bits arrive from the land of the rising sun.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Welcome to our little slice of heaven Ian... Sounds like you have a nice bag full of Mizunos.

I also have a Rife putter around here, an old fashioned flanged blade. For inexpensie putters, the Rife line sure feels good.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
DennisMiller said:
Welcome to our little slice of heaven Ian... Sounds like you have a nice bag full of Mizunos.

I also have a Rife putter around here, an old fashioned flanged blade. For inexpensie putters, the Rife line sure feels good.
Hi Dennis.

I've had a couple of Rife putters so far. My previous was a half mallet, and this is a full on Bob's your Uncle mallet. It was a belly that was cut down, so has a nice heft to it. Very pendulous....... :shock:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I have a new set of irons very much on the basis that it was too good a deal to pass up.

They arrived today... JPX-900 Hot Metal, 5-SW, regular flex graphite, 3/4" extra long. I heard about the set being for sale and of course, I was interested because the specs fit me very well. I went to the store, hit a set, liked them and made the deal. I put my favorite jumbo grips on them today and I hope to hit balls tomorrow, then play Friday.

I'm not sure whether I'll use the SW much. I've always preferred a deeper sole than it has, but I'll try it.

In the meantime, as I was talking to Hursty about the other day, I may ask Mizuno in Atlanta if they can build a matching 4 iron for me, or I'll have to decide where to fill in a 14th club with a hybrid or something.

(EDIT)

Overly shaggy greens kept me from scoring well due to poor putting, but my iron game with the 900 HM irons felt good. These irons do feel differently from a forged club or even differently from the cast 825 irons I was playing, but it's still a pleasant feel. I had greatly over-exerted myself working in the yard the day before my round, moving 40 big coral stones, about 100 lbs each, so I wasn't putting a very consistent swing on each shot. What I hit well, I was very satisfied with though.

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
I'm reverting from my 850 driver to my Ping G25 with an upgraded ProjectX 6.5 shaft. I'm not consistent enough on face strike for the 850, it's just not quite forgiving enough.

It's probably time I had a new driver fitting but realistically I like the Ping for now and think I need to see my handicap drop a good few points before I spend any more money on clubs...

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
chrism_s said:
I'm reverting from my 850 driver to my Ping G25 with an upgraded ProjectX 6.5 shaft. I'm not consistent enough on face strike for the 850, it's just not quite forgiving enough.

It's probably time I had a new driver fitting but realistically I like the Ping for now and think I need to see my handicap drop a good few points before I spend any more money on clubs...
Chris ... Try to get a go with the 900 driver - It's like the 850 but with a bit more forgiveness - I'm lead to believe it's going to be withdrawn from sale (or has been) so I expect prices are pretty keen now? - I spotted a couple of heads only on fleabay, which of course could be fitted straight on to your 850 shaft(s)
Paul

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Well I’ve stepped onto the course 3 or 4 times this year and the interest may be there again.
I’ve been playing very occasionally with my old mp33 set until I found these mp54 in great condition at my local range for just over £200!
I added the EZ driver / 3 and they’ve proved to be just what I like.
Now I’m just saving up for wedges t7 54 / 60 and then I’ll be set.
Putter is my old 106 (?)
100% Miz compliant ??‍♂️?Ⓜ️??
This is the first new gear I’ve bought in a couple of years, believe it or not, haha.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom