WITB

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Kgrove said:
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   
Unusual for a Mizuno club to do this. Was it original? Had it been re-shafted?

Andrew Carolan

HCP
Local club/country
Nuremore GC Carrickmacross Ireland
Irons
Titleist 716ap1
Driver
Titleist 917D3
Just played first full round with new clubs got mp h5 irons,  Nice clubs they have kbs tour c taper lite s flex shafts in them, nice feel from them, also got jpx 850 hybrid in 16 & 22 degree lofts for a steal, really nice solid hybrids. Driver is Taylor made m2 good driver, soild and straight, putter is odyssey white hot pro no 7, to complete my bag im waiting on 2 S5 wedges 52 & 58 degree lofts

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Andrew Carolan said:
Just played first full round with new clubs got mp h5 irons,  Nice clubs they have kbs tour c taper lite s flex shafts in them, nice feel from them, also got jpx 850 hybrid in 16 & 22 degree lofts for a steal, really nice solid hybrids. Driver is Taylor made m2 good driver, soild and straight, putter is odyssey white hot pro no 7, to complete my bag im waiting on 2 S5 wedges 52 & 58 degree lofts
Good stuff Andrew, that sounds like a cracking set for a decent player which you obviously are from your handicap :).

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
OhBoy! said:
Kgrove said:
How about a "what's not in the bag"? I bought an MPH5 2-iron a couple weeks ago to use as a driving iron. I think I put about 10 hits on it, then have one funny feeling impact and see the head of my club fly about 50 yards down range. I can't tell from inspection whether I snapped the shaft inside the hosel or wether the epoxy didn't hold. In any case... this 2 iron is not in my bag for awhile. Very frustrating... didn't even get enough swings on it to get an idea whether I like it or not.   
Unusual for a Mizuno club to do this. Was it original? Had it been re-shafted?
It's unusual for any club to do that. I suspect it was an error by the golf shop. I ordered the club 2* flat and 1* weak and they forgot to write that on the order. The shop took the club to their vise in the back and bent it myself and I suspect they somehow damaged the shaft in the process. That said I'm now feeling jinxed as I snapped 2 different jpx900 driver shafts last night while getting fitted. The fitter was perplexed as he said he has never seen that happen before. I've golfed almost 40 years now and those are the first three shafts I've ever broken just hitting a ball (trees over over my knee, yes...).

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Kgrove said:
The shop took the club to their vise in the back and bent it myself and I suspect they somehow damaged the shaft in the process.
That raises a question to me...

I asked for a putter to be flattened and I noticed the bending machine held the head with one clamp, but it help the shaft with the other clamp where the bending handle went in.

That seemed like a system that would bend the shaft, not the neck, or in the case of an iron, it would not bend the hosel.

Consider what that would do to a graphite shaft...

If the cheapest bending machine I've ever seen wasn't around $400, I'd buy one myself to work on my clubs.

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
I watched them with mine. The vise they used had a clamp with a couple adjustments to hold the head in the correct position and had a bar with a specialized clamp on the end that grabbed around the hosel. They were really having to crank hard on the hosel to get the right bend, so I'm guessing all that pressure on the hosel must have damaged the shaft inside causing it to break inside the hosel later. It looked like the same machine / vise I've seen in other golf shops. I've never watched them adjust loft or lie before, so I don't know if the amount of bending and force they were using is normal or excessive. It was not gentle by any means. No problems for me in the end - I brought them the broken club and they ordered a new one from Mizuno bent correctly at the factory this time. 

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Kgrove said:
I watched them with mine. The vise they used had a clamp with a couple adjustments to hold the head in the correct position and had a bar with a specialized clamp on the end that grabbed around the hosel. They were really having to crank hard on the hosel to get the right bend, so I'm guessing all that pressure on the hosel must have damaged the shaft inside causing it to break inside the hosel later. It looked like the same machine / vise I've seen in other golf shops. I've never watched them adjust loft or lie before, so I don't know if the amount of bending and force they were using is normal or excessive. It was not gentle by any means. No problems for me in the end - I brought them the broken club and they ordered a new one from Mizuno bent correctly at the factory this time. 
Always best to get the professionals to do it.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
OhBoy! said:
Exactly, as I've proven to myself a few times in the past. I'm not sure how many times I have to prove it to myself before I actually lern it though. I simply have way too much courage and way too little common sense when it comes to things like that.

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
OhBoy! said:
Kgrove said:
I thought they were professionals, but the sight of my 2-iron head flying down the driving range is likely proof they weren't.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Trying to get back on topic, I tried a Taylormade M1 driver and didn't particularly like it. I changed it for the M2 and I'm much happier. The M2 is 9.5*, but I adjusted it to a higher loft around 11*. I don't know if it's the technology in the head, the loft, the particular dynamics of the shaft or me actually swinging better, (I don't believe that for a moment), but I'm about 20 yards longer with the M2 than any driver I've tried in quite a while.

Also worth mentioning is, I'm selling my MP-H5 irons and going back to my JPX-825 irons. I have an offer to trade for a set of 2016 JPX-EZ Forged irons, so I'm thinking about that too, but for now, the 825s are back in play.

Lastly, I found the old Axis 19 putter I've wanted and bought it via Ebay UK. I had it sent to Hursty and he's forwarding it to me. I'm REALLY excited about getting this putter. As I told him earlier today, I've never seen a putter that just looks so RIGHT to me.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Dennis, please tell me that your post was finger trouble.

The putter you've bought and I'm forwarding on is the Axis 19 not 16.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
hursty said:

Hi Hursty,

I think that's the correct putter that he is looking for...!

Dennis had made a comment on one of my posts about the old putter I had restored and bellow is his comment,

"Just because we were talking about this today, I went looking for the Axis 19 model I've wanted. Sure enough, I found one on Euro Ebay, bought it and had it sent to a forum member who will forward it to me.

Heaven only knows how long it will take to get here, but I've wanted this putter for over a year since someone posted a photo in the forum of the one they bought for 5 Pounds. I've never seen one available in the U.S. I'm pretty happy about this. I always seem to putt better with an old fashioned flanged blade. Hopefully this will feel as good as the model 16 I already have."

Hope this helps you :up:

Cheers

John :D

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
hursty said:

You are correct. The one I already have is the 16. Dyslexic fingers maybe? I edited my previous post.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
DennisMiller said:
hursty said:

You are correct. The one I already have is the 16. Dyslexic fingers maybe?
Lol, thank heavens for that.

Was sitting here imaging the look on your face when you opened it!!!

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
Driver
Back on topic, please.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I think that picture scared him. And that was one of the GOOD ones. ;-)

I've realized I feel better and better about the set I've got now and the changes I've made, specially expectations for less mistakes without a lob wedge. As I mentioned, the thrill of getting this old putter just makes me feel like I've taken a step towards a set I'll look at with a lot more confidence.

I forgot to mention previously, but I was really not happy with some Srixon balls I had. A friend recommended them and I bought a few dozen, then immediately hated them. I couldn't lose them fast enough.

Now, I'm back to using the Titleist NXT Tour in optic yellow and I see and feel a difference I like much better.

Once the putter arrives, I'll take a new picture of everything.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Have you ever had a ball fitting? Changed my game massively. I had always used a ProV1, went for a fitting and found that the Bridgestone B330 and the Z Star XV were much better suited to my swings hand anything else. I Then tested them on a chipping sim and went with the Srixon.
Surprisingly the ProV1 was behind others as well in terms of fitting to my swing, notably the ProV1x, Nike Rzn Black, Callaway Chromesoft.

Top Bottom