Why Did You Choose Mizuno ?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Okay then, since it's been a bit slow on here, here's a post that may get a few responses.

What made you choose Mizuno clubs over all the other offerings out there ?

I'll start off then..... I have played golf for over 35 years man & boy. I played with the usual hand me donw clubs as a youngster and gradually worked my way up to a good 2nd hand set of Sayers (when they were a golf manufactures !) clubs in the mid eighties. I bought my first set of custom fitted Tommy Armour clubs in 1995 and used them until I wanted something with a bit more of a classical look about it. I had a couple of seasons with a set of the Maxfli revolution (balck dot) irons before seeing the light and coming over from the dark side.

I really liked the look of the MP30 when it was launched, it just suited my eye perfectly. I had to have a set of these ! So I was fitted in the winter of 2003-2004 for a set of MP 30s, my first custom fitted Mizuno irons. The were a revelation. I found the short irons really good but did strugle with the long irons at times. They were excellent clubs to play off the tight turf at our links courses down in East Lothian.

When the MP57 came out, I thought that this was the answer to my eratic use of the longer MP30s, so a set of MP57s was purchased, after a fitting of course, and they have been in the bag ever since. I have MP Fli Hi 2,3 & 4 irons that rotate through the bag depending on the course that I'm playing. I sometimes use the MP30s at the range so that I can gauge how well I am striking the ball. With a bit more time to practice, I'll be more than happy using them for a few years yet.

So why Mizuno, well as the saying goes, "Nothing Feels Like A Mizuno" having played cast clubs and then moved to forged, I can honestly say that I can tell the difference. With my prefered ball, the TM TP Red, I feel I can get the best out of my clubs with my swing.

I've got MP R wedges in the bag as well as the Irons so i am more than happy with what Mizuno have on offer and more importantly, it suits my game.

So what's your story ?

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
First saw a set of Pro Originals in the mid 80s. Was aware that some Tour players were playing Mizunos, and they looked such a great set, I was tempted and got them. Really loved them.

Since then have also had, in no particular order, TP-21, TP Original, Comp EZ, MP-33, MP60 and now MP62. I think there may have been another Mizuno set in there too. Briefly tempted by Titleist (once) and Callaway (once) but came back to Mizuno each time.

Classy, simple looking clubs and great feel.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I started playing golf when I was 36 (3 and a half years ago). I started with a set of Fazers that a guy in the work gave me to get me started.

Once I realised that this was the sport I was going to take up seriously - I started to look at buying my own equipment. I have two or three good driving ranges close by with shops attached, so I went round all of them trying EVERY iron there was to try.

I didn't know as much about golf then as I do now, however, one thing that I didn't need told, was that having struck every iron on the market, I just knew it had to be Mizuno!!

Got custom fitted at Cumbernauld for a set of MX 23's and started taking lessons. Got my hcp to 15 and treated myself to a set of MP32's which to me were quite simply - STUNNING!!

Haven't looked back!! I have Mizuno everything except my wedges. I started out with 2nr. MPR Black Ni's but didn't like them too much and I recently imported 2no. Guage Design GAS II wedges from Japan - simply awesome!!

My MP32's will get me to the end of this season then I'm gonna have a serious look at the new 68's but if I don't fancy them, I'm deffinately gonna bag a set of 67's which IMHO are the most beautiful clubs ever made!!!

Terry

HCP
Local club/country
Queensland
Irons
Lefty MP 60 ,5/pw,NS pro,950 gh reg , titleist 910 15,g30 18, g30 22,Tseries wedge. ,Ping Scottsdale
Driver
Jpx ez ,S xlr8,10.5 fade
I got back into golf app. 10 years ago after 23 year lay off.
I decided that TM was the way to go and in that 10 years used only TM . Irons were original Burners , Firesoles and more recenly CBS`s. App. 14 months ago a low handicapper at club suggested I try Mizuno.
Mizuno were virtually unknown in Aust. back then at club level apart from the blades. After checking on web I decided on the MX 25`s and managed to get a six iron demo to try. Had to contact Mizuno and take a 1 hour drive to nearest source.
Initially I was disappointed as the CGB flew 10 metres further but I loved the buttery feel of the MX and the way the ball landed with little run. After realising that the loft of the MX 6 iron was the same as the CGB 7 I was sold and bought a set. Since then Handicap gone from 22 to 15 and I rekon its because I now approach the game in a more confident way. By the way thanks Mizuno for finally getting your act together in Aust. Your clubs are now readily available and advertised in all the Golf Mags. Can`t wait to try the MX 700

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
I have always been a Ping man and raved about their customer fitting process and customer centric strategy. However, I have recently bought a set of MP62's in Black Nickel. Mizuno have always been synonomous with high quality irons whether they be players blades or game improvers. The forged element makes the feel truly amazing and provides good feedback.

I spent a couple of hours with James at the Wrexham fitting centre and got specced out for my current clubs. I went with Mizuno because of the great custom fitting program they offer and unlike some of their major competitors they are a customer focused company.

From the Thursday when I went up I ordered my clubs through my own supplier (something I like as you are not tied to the club the National Fitting Centre is situated at)and they arrived 6 working days later. Having the ability to review flex, launch angle, grouping, RPM on the ball as well as the physical aspects of lie and length ensured that all areas of doubt were removed from my mind. I now know and completely trust my clubs. The results albeit only a few days old are truly outstanding. I cannot recommend strongly enough how import it is to understand your launch angle and rpm on the ball and the shaft is probably the most key aspect of the golf club. I underestimated this. Not anymore.

The customer service and professionalism from Mizuno was outstanding and the fitter listened to my needs.

My only regret is that I left it so long before I went to Mizuno.

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
After hitting the MP-29 for the 1st time, how could one not want a Mizuno..

A

Anonymous

When I was looking to buy my 1st set of irons with my student loan many moons ago, 3 things influenced me.

1) The best players in my club played Mizuno irons

2) The Pro at the clubs said Mizuno were the Rolls Royce of golf clubs

3) Nick Faldo was a Mizuno man and I was trying to model my swing on him at the time!

And the price of a set of TP-9s 3-PW was £499.

Amazing how the price hasn't gone up that much over the last 20 years.

I have never even looked at another brand since as those TP-9s were beautiful irons and felt so solid.

Pete Player

HCP
Local club/country
www.levi.fi
Irons
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW, Cobra Tour Trusty 52, 56°
Driver
Cobra BiO Cell+ MyFly 8.5° Matrix Ozic 6Q3 X-Stiff, TM R9 fwy woods
A bit different story with no actual point playing Mizunos, yet I dont see any reason to change to other brand.

I'd been started off with Spalding Accu Bars or sth my dad gave me to practise with in mid 90's. I was about 25 yo. I then played for the first fall with those "game improvers" and figured that this must be a tuff game to master.

The reason beginning golf in the first place was that there was only bogeys, pars, birdies and chips and missed putts to disguss with my folks at the Sunday dinner.

Anyway, next season I got a few times tested set of MacGregor RDs 2-PW and couple of old worn out wedges and RD 3w and 5w and a couple of Pin Anser putters.

I fell in love with the clubs and after I started to update I went to VIP 1025 CM which I playd for few years and around 400 rounds. I loved the feel, but my dad kept nagging about the clubs beeing too difficult for me, yet I hit them solidly on a good day. Finally I got fed up and went on tho update my irons.

I had a test period in June till July 2007. The candidates were:

Nike CGi, Cobra Carbon CB, Callaway X-20 Tour, X-Forged, Mizuno MP-60, MP-67, Srixon i-501, Wilson Pi5 and I must say I put a whole lot of efort to figure which would be the best choice for me.

The MP-67 was only for reference, since I did not want to have blades as I just was getting rid of mixed set, yet they had by far the best feel and response on good and even more on the bad hits.

A Year before I had had a try on Titleist 755 and the forged cavities of the time, but did not like the harder feel of them, not the game improvement nor the tour models. I think they're made of 1020 steel and Cally has 1030, which is a bit softer, yet hard compared to the MacGregor set I had.

The price was not an issue by the test time, and my top-3 were Srixon, MP-60 and surprisingly the Wilson Pi5 cast irons. Srixons were solid and nice, but the feel was really hard, but not that hard as the X-Forged Callies.

Later that year I had the top three once out on the range 900 km away from my home and decided for the MP-60. Although the rest of the field was OK, I think the final decision had something to do with the feel I was used to. The MacGregors were made of the same steel as Mizunos.

Then when I found out that the MP-60 will be out of production I went to eBay and browsed seriously to get my set with DG-S300 shafts.

I've been very pleased with the set and think I'll stick with Mizuno or some other forged club made of 1025 or 1025E for the rest of my golfing life.

I find the better player models of Mizuno very plain and simple in design and the thin topline pleases my eye.

The difference was significant compared to the Mac's, but only for the rounded tip. It sort of deminises the looks of the club face and I thought, how the hell am I gonna manage with such small clubs.

I've done well. My ballstriking has not improved because of the clubs, but hard work with a pro. I think if I'd try my previous irons, that are in my livingroom in an old bag as iterior items, I'd be as well of. However they look clumpsy and have a large off set on the long irons and shafts that throws the ball really high (Rifle flighted 6.0)

Now I'm a Mizuno-iron-man driving a special edition GolfRallye (Rabbit group A 4WD classification street model of a real rallye car) and my balls with TM TourBurner.

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
Since last year (when i started playing) whenever Mizuno was mentioned at the club, responses were generally like 'beautiful irons' etc etc (you know the stuff). This year I thought I would take golf seriously and wanted some quality kit which could only mean one brand...Mizuno!

cpc

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey
Irons
MP-67 2-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour (R), MP-R 56 degree, Bettinardi C-02
Driver
MX700, 10.5 degree, Aldila VS Proto - 65R, MX700 3 and 5 woods (Exsar FS4 R)
Over a 3 month period last winter I tested 10 different models of iron (Callaway X22, X20 tour, X-forged, Taylormade Tour Burner and TP forged, Titleist ZM, Mizuno MP67, MP62, MP57 and MP52). I hit hundreds of balls with demo clubs and the MP67 just felt the most responsive of the lot. The closest contenders were the Titleist ZM, Taylormade TP forged and the MP52.

A word about forgiveness - some of the irons in my list are supposedly more forgiving than others. However, other than a slight tendency for the 3-5 irons to get up in the air a little easier, I really couldn't detect a difference. What was very different was the quality of the feedback from the clubhead, with the Callaways and Tour Burner essentially feeling no better on a great strike than on an ordinary one.

At the end, I was down to the 67s and the ZMs and I did some very careful A/B comparisons, across the set. To be fair there was not a vast amount to choose between them, but the good shots with the 67s just felt that bit sweeter.

The fitting centre experience in New Malden sealed it for me, and I was particularly pleased because I ended up with a shaft that suited me much better than the R300s and S300s that all the demo clubs had in them.

It would be hard to move away from Mizuno now!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
cpc said:
Over a 3 month period last winter I tested 10 different models of iron (Callaway X22, X20 tour, X-forged, Taylormade Tour Burner and TP forged, Titleist ZM, Mizuno MP67, MP62, MP57 and MP52). I hit hundreds of balls with demo clubs and the MP67 just felt the most responsive of the lot. The closest contenders were the Titleist ZM, Taylormade TP forged and the MP52.

A word about forgiveness - some of the irons in my list are supposedly more forgiving than others. However, other than a slight tendency for the 3-5 irons to get up in the air a little easier, I really couldn't detect a difference. What was very different was the quality of the feedback from the clubhead, with the Callaways and Tour Burner essentially feeling no better on a great strike than on an ordinary one.

At the end, I was down to the 67s and the ZMs and I did some very careful A/B comparisons, across the set. To be fair there was not a vast amount to choose between them, but the good shots with the 67s just felt that bit sweeter.

The fitting centre experience in New Malden sealed it for me, and I was particularly pleased because I ended up with a shaft that suited me much better than the R300s and S300s that all the demo clubs had in them.

It would be hard to move away from Mizuno now!
Hallelujah!!! Someone with the same take on forgiveness as me! I wish you all the very best with the 67's, you've made a cracking choice!! Well Done!!

Top Bottom