sjaclark

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Scotland
Irons
MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver
MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1
After the thread directed at me and seeing some questions asking how MPX and Grilled Cheese became involved with Mizuno, I thought it would be good if everyone shared how they began using Mizuno equipment...I'll start.

My first Mizuno irons were a set of custom fitted MP-33's. They were also the first set of irons that I ever got that were brand new out of the wrapper, having always had 2nd hand clubs up until that point. I was 16 years old at the time and I had a weekend job at a driving range/pro shop while at school. I saved up for months to get them. 2-PW S400 dynamic gold shafts. They arrived in the middle of the summer and the day after I got them I was playing in a local 36 hole scratch tournament the following day. I put them straight in the bag, finished 2nd and recouped something like £200 in vouchers my first day with them...by the end of the summer they had more than paid for themselves in prize vouchers!

Since then I've had MP37's, MP67's, MP68's, MP58's and currently MP-63's.

What's your Mizuno story?

Attachments

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
That's an iron.

Hammy

Local club/country
Varies between Eng and Wales
Irons
4-PW MX300 graphite reg T4 50.06, 56.10 NSpro 950 reg
Driver
Titleist 913D2 10.5 set to C4 Bassara W55 reg shaft
Very late in getting to Mizuno's. A couple of years ago I bought the 3,4&5 MX200 irons at a car boot sale and liked them that much that I bought a set of MX300's when my main irons were due replacement.

While you still have a nice shiny 2 iron from your first set of new clubs my 3 iron from my first set of new clubs is slightly the worse for wear. Still it is only 46 years old.

Attachments

SamW

HCP
Local club/country
London/UK
Irons
Mizuno/MP-52/3-PW
Driver
Mizuno/MP 630/10.5 deg/UST AxivCore Tour Black 79S
When I first moved up from ladies clubs (I had Wilson Patty Berg Defenders) as a junior I guess about 22 years ago I was fitted for Mizuno Astron FWD's (these were cast clubs of the ping eye 2 kind).

I used these clubs for a long time, I still maintain they were great clubs to hit.

After that I had a brief incursion into TaylorMade Burner irons (with bubble shafts) which on the plus side did go really far compared to the Astrons, but on the negative side my scoring went to hell as I'd occasionally get freak strikes where my PW would gain 35 extra yards.

So after that I got fitted for Mizzy MP-32's, my iron striking at the time I switched was really supreme, I was the master of hitting it to 10 feet from 190 then 3 putting. However I bought these while my wife was pregnant with the first of 2 kids and consequently I began a 6 year layoff from golf.

Early last year I decided that needed to end, but I also decided after such a long layoff hitting the MP-32's reliably might be a bit of a stretch, so I went and got some MP-52's as I felt they were a little easier to hit but looked very similar to the 32's.

Now I play my golf with 52's and the 32's live in the car so I use them more often than not at the range.

TimC

HCP
Local club/country
Kempton Park GC, South Africa
Irons
MX-25 4-PW, JPX Fli Hi Hybrids, MPR 12 Wedges.
Driver
JPX 800 Driver (HOF Stiff, 10.5), JPX 800 3, 5 wood, Line 90 putter
When I took up golf about 3 years ago, it was simple. I went to the pro shop, gave them my budget, he gave me a bunch of 6 irons...Callaway, TM and few other brands.

It didn't take me long to realise that the Mizuno's felt so much better than anything else!

So the love affair began...all my clubs are Mizuno now as I simply trust the brand! So much so that I have to import most of my Mizuno gear as we get such a limited offering down here.

lessel

Local club/country
Woburn
Irons
MP20 HMB 4-PW, woods ST180
Driver
GT180 Tensei blue 60 stiff
I started golf in the late '60s using my father's old clubs forged in about 1935, therefore small with a thin top line. I then gave up when I moved to London in 1970 (too expensive for my £20/week salary). When I started again in 1995 I started with some Mizunos, can't think of the models, but could buy the clubs individually so bought the odd numbers first then later the even numbers. The next clubs were Lynx Black Cats (2nd hand) then a short time later a set of Comp EZs, then it was time to get back to blades so I bought a set of MP33 which lasted me 7 years. Now I have a set of MP68s

Alastair Gibson

HCP
Local club/country
FIFE
I played golf growing up from about age 12-18.

I was pretty decent and got down to a 2 hcp.

When i started work aged 17 in 1994 (on the farm!) I bought myself a set of Titleist DCI's, great irons, Sam Torrance was playing them!!!

Anyway the nature of the farm is that when the sun shines one works, so that more or less allowed me to play 3 or 4 times a year only. Eventually i pretty much gave it up.

In 2006 i made a pretty radical career change and due to working shifts, got a chance to play Golf again. Although by this time my first hobbie was various forms of Martial arts.

I joined a golf club and went to the local Pro to try a few new sets of irons. I wanted either the Titleist Iron of the time, i don't even remember what it was now, or Ping G5's as they were the clubs getting raved about.

The Pro (Craig Donnelly at Balbirnie Park) got Titleist and Ping LH irons in for me to try but also had an MX25 LH club and told me that he believed this to be the best forgiveness/workability Iron available.

I hit them all, the Miz was so much better than the other two for me so i ordered a set after getting a custom fit at Cumbernauld.

Have since had MP60 for a short time and my current MP59's.

At the start of last year i decided to substantially scale back my Martial Arts training (it got sore getting a hammering from younger fitter guys) and pretty much as of now i'm totally bitten with the idea of getting to scratch before my 40th birthday (i have 5 years).

Yes i know you asked me for my Mizuno story but i had a spare 5 minutes so thought i would tell you my life story instead.

Nurburgring151

HCP
Local club/country
www.lingfieldpark.co.uk
Irons
MP-18 3-pw kbs c-taper
Driver
JPX 850 Project X 6.0
First started using mizuno gear long before i took up golf start back in my school days with some football boots. they lasted me for a few years and were the most comfortable boots i have ever owned. started to play golf three years ago and bought a cheap package set but after six months knew they werent right. so when to a local pro shop and he had a second hand set of mx17s cheapish hit them a few times and loved the feel and forgveness. then jan last year made up my mind to be more actively playing and practicing so got fitted for full set of jpx pros and mpt-11 wedges and added a mp 101 putter in the summer and recently aquired from a friend a krakatoa putter. for a full mizuno set up.

One Putt

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
Mp53 3-5 Mp63 6-pw Dg x100 MpR12 50,56,60 Dg x100
Driver
910 D3 9.5 Project X Tour Issue 7A3 JPX 3 wood Fujikura rombax 7Z08 X MP T-101
Well I was always a titliest fan until I started playing about with an old tp9 5 iron I found lying around in the back of our pro shop. Having taken this out on the course and the range I was sold on the "feel" of mizuno irons. Very soon after, just like sjaclark, I ordered a brand new set of mp33 2-pw s-300 and the rest is history. I've never looked back.

I had a 3 year break from the game from 2005 due to lack of enthusiasm and a niggling back problem which didnt seem to want to go away. Since I've been playing again I've had a few sets of mizuno irons starting with the mp 37's which never really lived up to my old 33's unfortunately. (my opinion) After those I managed to persuade my mate to lend me his 67's until my 68/58 combo set arrived (very nice of him as they were a year or so old and had barely hit a ball!) Loved the 68 but never really got on with the 58 for some reason.
At the end of the last season I decided to move avay from the full on blade and give myself a little more forgivness in the longer irons so i changed to my current set up of 53/63's and I have to say the 63's are just brilliant, really solid powerful flight, the 53's for me especially in the 5+6 iron aren't quite as penetrating so maybe will be replaced by the 63's before the season starts properly but all in all mizuno first choice every time! I'm only a putter away from the 100% mizuno bag so if the Redwood misbehaves then a T101 may just find its way in!

neil72

HCP
+1
Local club/country
TPC Stonebrae / USA
Irons
SwingDNA 92 4 3 3 5: MP Fli Hi 4, MP-63 5-PW KBS X, MP T-11 50 54 60
Driver
Taylor Made Tour Burner 8.5 deg Diamana whiteboard X, Titleist 910F 15 deg 'ahina 82 X, Titleist 910H 19 deg 'ahina 90 X
The first set of irons that my Dad bought for me at around age 13, was a set of Mizuno Bell 3. I wish i had started out with blades, but we didn't have much money and these were half the price. I used this all the way through my junior years until i went off to University., and i bought myself a set of Titliest DCI 962.

I used these all the way through my 4 year degree, and then when i stayed at University for a PhD i invested in a second hand set of Mizuno TP-11 that i picked up for 80 quid. Actually, one of my team mates picked them up at a second hand store for me and said i should use blades. That's when i fell in love with Mizuno irons. I should post the picture of the TP-11 2-iron butter-knife. For comparison with the MP-33 above.

I used these for the next few years, and then i moved off the Michigan. I didn't play much golf, just a few times a year, and stuck with the old blades. Then i moved to California and got a decent paying job, so it was time to buy my first set of Mizuno irons. Got myself some MP-32. I also experimented with some Mizuno woods. Had the MP-600 driver, the F-60 3-wood and CLK hybrid, at various points in time along-side the MP-32s.

Once i had worn those out i got myself some MP-63 last year. This time i also went for Mizuno wedges for the first time, MP T-11, and love them (I had Cleveland 588, and Vokeys before), although i have ditched the Mizuno woods for TalylorMade driver and Titliest 3-wood and hybrid these days.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
I was forced to start playing golf as soon as I got a job in a pub in west London (it had a very active golf society) about 20 years ago - I was handed someone's old set and a bag (actually an old Mizuno bag as it happens).
It was all pretty casual for many years as windsurfing was my main hobby. I never used to get too excited about gear but I did have a matching set of Ram irons, woods, putter, bag etc. for a few years.

As I started shooting in the 90s regularly I decided I wanted some better irons so I grabbed some MacGregor V foils from the local shop and they were ok, but crucially - forged. When I got more serious still and joined my first golf club about 5 years ago, another shop keeper suggested if I was wanting forged clubs, they had to be Mizunos, and 5 minutes later I walked out with a set of mx950s. Honestly, I didn't like them at all, but a couple of sweet strikes with the shorter irons convinced me that forged Mizunos were the way to go.

So the next set was fitted at the NFC at Clays - I went in for mx200s but came out with mp52s. I played these for a couple of years, until I found a great deal on a new set of jpx800pros.

And just a few weeks ago these were cashed in to pay the bills and I'm now the proud owner of a dechromed set of mp37s. I've always wondered about blades and it's just an itch I had to scratch sooner or later.

That's just the irons - from Mizuno - there's been 3 sets of wedges, 3 putters, 6 drivers, 3 fairways, 4 hybrids and 5 bags.

I was obsessed about getting a full Mizuno set up at some point and when I eventually did, it kind of freed me up to play other gear so now I can play other brands.

I firmly believe I will always play Mizuno irons but I might experiment with the rest of the bag.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
This was easy... A cut and paste from a previous post I made a while ago...

Here's why I am such a Mizuno NUT!!

I took up golf in January 2005 at the age of 35. I was given a set of "Fazer" irons by a guy at work and as soon as I had struck my first decent shot, well, I was hooked!

Like all of my other previous hobbies and sports, I immediately set out to get myself the very best equipment that money could buy, and after a long search and the hitting of thousands of balls with many many different clubs, I just knew - even when I was rubbish at the game (now I'm less rubbish) - that NOTHING felt like a Mizuno!

I purchased my first set of Mizuno's (MX 23's) on the 25th October 2005 after a fitting session at Cumbernauld. The transaction wasn't entirely smooth however, and following a letter to the Custom Fit Manager I received a telephone call from Him (aka Fitter), and he was able to sort out my frustrations and allay any concerns I had over my choice.

I was VERY impressed by the customer care afforded to me, and from that minute onwards I was a die hard Mizuno fanatic!! I hadn't even hit my new clubs yet - but I was sold, a) by my experience with them during my hunt for a set of irons and b) by the way I was treated after point of sale.

"Fitter" probably doesn't even know that he was a large part of the reason why I became so loyal to Mizuno! (So blame him!!)

Following this, every golfing product I bought had to be Mizuno, so when they brought out the MX500 driver, I quickly ditched the Ping G2 I was using and started down a road that has led to my owning pretty much every Mizuno Golf product that I can get my hands on (even a Draino putter - now that wasn't the best product ever, in fact my previous instructor suggested I sell it to a local farmer, who could use it as a branding iron on his cattle!). I've had to import a lot of my Mizuno stuff (The exotic stuff you just can't get here), so I'm sure I speak for many Forum goers when I say that it would be good if Mizuno Europe expanded its range to include some of the products only available in Japan!

I went from the MX25's to the MP32's as I always preffered the look and feel of blades and my coach at the time encouraged me to do so. After the 32's I went with 67's which are still my current irons, although I would love to bag the 69's.

I simply LOVE Mizuno products, the quality is just superior.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I have played golf since I was a kid and since I started to work in 1977 I've had a variety of kit in and out of the bag. I used to love some of the letters stuff when they were a 'proper' manufacturer.

Back in 2003 I was involved in a drunken night out and a friend said he had tried the new MP30s and was ordering a set of these. I'd seen the adverts in the magazines and was drunk enough to say, I'll have a go with them.

Upshot was a good fitting at a local supplier in Edinburgh, and 8 days to turn around my custom order. I was impressed. So impressed I had to go out and get a nice matching bag for my new MP30s. Since then it's been Mizuno all the way. Ok i did play TM LTIIs over a winter, but that just saved my nice Mizunos from getting wet and dirty.

I've had the MP30s, MP57s, tried a set of MX900s, and currently have JPX Pros in the bag. I've got two CLKs 17° & 20°, had the MP600, got the MP630 currently, just replaced a F60 4 Wood with a nice JPX 5W. I've got the Bettinardi BC3 in the bag and a BC1 on the shelf for sunny days at the seaside :) A Staff Stand Bag, A Staff cart Bag and a Scratch Sac.

All in all a bit of a Mizuno tart.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
I've been golfing for about 6 years now. My first entry to mizuno was actually my mx700 driver which just blew everything else away when I was demoing clubs. I thought why hadn't I tried mizuno before so I researched a lot and then purchased matching 3wood and hybrid to match the driver.
Obviously needed some irons so went to get fitted, tried lots of clubs and it came down to mx300s and r9s. Unfortunately I left with the r9s, which lasted about 6 months before I traded them in for the jpx pros just over a year ago. Never looked back. Don't see me ever using any other irons...the 650 may get me back to a mizuno driver.

drpurpell

Local club/country
-
I'm 40 years old and have played golf for over 30 of those years, being lucky enough to live about 100 yards from the 1st tee of my local muni. My neighbour was also the local pro, and I started working in the pro shop on Saturdays and during school holidays for roughly a fiver a day (a princely sum back then - for me anyway). All my wages were saved for my first full set of irons - Mizuno Astrons. I loved those irons, but eventually sold them for a set of Ping Eye 2s, which I played for years. Dabbled with other Mizuno clubs over the years, including some that I wish I had kept (copper wedge, TP5s, TP9s etc)

I only recently got back into Mizuno gear after messing about with various brands. Bought an old set of Comp CTs dirt cheap on eBay, and recently a set of raw MP60s. Supplemented those with a couple of MPT black nickel wedges, 2 hybrids and MP630 driver (thanks American Golf for your sale). Only need a putter to be 100% Mizuno however it will really take something to dislodge my old faithful 2ball.

Love the clubs, nothing does feel quite like a Mizuno!

Kel1968

270 Elswick Street North, Leichhardt NSW Australia
HCP
Local club/country
The Colonial Golf Club (Qld) & Moore Park Golf Club (NSW)
Irons
Mizuno MP-59 3-PW (Project-X 6.5 shafts), R12 Wedges (52, 56, 60)
Driver
Mizuno MP650 10.5 Fujikura Orochi Red Stiff
As a teenager I started playing with Brosnan Tour Classics and got my handicap down to 2. At this time I had an opportunity to undertake a traineeship in Far North Queensland, but didn't have the financial backing needed. I then went out into the workplace and worked in Defence and Law Enforcement.

I have tried the Mizuno clubs over the years at various demo days and loved the feel of the way the ball comes off the face. They are always well manufactured.

Over the past two years I have caddied for a number of Korean and Taiwan professionals in the Australian Open Championships. These player have all been contracted to Mizuno and as such I have used their clubs on the range and during practice rounds. The more I used them the more that I have become a fan.

Just watch the PGA, LPGA, Nationwide, Champions Tours and you will notice more and more professionals are switching to Mizuno. Currently the World number 1, Luke Donald uses Mizuno MP-62 clubs 3-PW.

Recently I have had the opportunity to get into Golf Operations at a Sydney Metropolitan Public course that sells Mizuno clubs. I have used the Mizuno Club Fitting Workshop and tried a number of the clubs out myself. They have really impressed me that much that I am now switching from my McGregor VIP Tourney irons to the new Mizuno MP-59's from 3-PW and MP650 Driver, Fairway and Hybrid. I am looking forward to using these in the upcoming NSW Vardon events.

mox

HCP
Local club/country
Hoersholm Golf Club, Denmark
Irons
Mizuno MP-68 Black Ni 5-pw Dynamic Gold Regular flex, MP-T10 Satin Wedges, 52, 56, 60.
Driver
Mizuno MX-700, 10.5deg, Aldila VS Proto 60 Stiff. MX-700 3 & 5w VS Proto Stiff, MX-700 20deg Hybrid Aldila NV85 Stiff
I started golf 10 years ago with at set of Wilson Deep Red irons. They did the job of helping me hit it straight, but was completely devoid of feel and control.
In the demo-bucket at my local Pro Shop, I found an MP-33 6-iron, and bought it just for the purity of looks. I hit it a few times at the range, and while it was definitely too big a mouthful for me back then, I did like the merciless respons and knowing instantly if I hit it off the toe, heel or whatever.
Shortly after that, the MP-60 series came out, and I was hooked.
Picked up a set, and my game changed right away. I dropped a few yards - especially on off-center hits - but gained SO much control and spin, and was suddenly able to aim for the pin.
I quickly added a set of MP-T Black Ox wedges, and while I was at it, added the MX-500 and F-50 3 wood to the bag as well.
As my game improved, wear started showing on the 60s, and they were replaced by a set of MP-67 irons, bought second hand from somebody who - not unlike me - was dazzled by their looks. They served their purpose, but I never felt as confident with them as I did with the MP-60s.
The driver and 3 wood was replaced by a set of MX-700 woods, and I added the MX-700 hybrid to replace the ice-cold MP-67 3 iron, which I never dared hit anyway.
The Black Ox wedges were replaced by MP-T10s, also due to wear (Mizunos ARE rather soft, and DO wear out fairly fast if you use them regularly).

Last summer, I finally allowed myself to get fitted for a new set of irons, and a good idea that, since the lie of the MP-67s had gotten 2 degrees flat (probably from constantly getting beaten into range mats), and I really needed the lie to be 2 degrees upright and the shaft 1/4" long.
I ended up with a set of MP-68 Black Nickel, despite knowing the Mp-69 was just around the corner. It didn't matter. I was COMPLETELY sold on the Black Nickel clubheads, and the feel from these clubs are just unmatched by anything I've ever hit.
Choosing the KBS FST Tour shafts in Black Nickel as well, just made the clubs even more fantastic to hit, not to mention look at.

Believe me, these irons are DEADLY! PLEASE keep making Black Ni irons in the future.

I also wish Mizuno would produce a series of woods that had the same level of feel, as well as the thundering distance the MX-700 produces. (And a putter that drains everything)!

Rapido

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.breightmetgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MX-200
Driver
Titleist D2
I had been an occasional golfer when younger, usually following my dad around a course the odd afternoon or on holiday and hitting the odd drive. But I had never really got into the game where I had my own set.

Started to get into golf again through work about 2 years ago and bought a starter set of draw r7's off ebay that served a summer. Reading online I determined the MX-200's were 'the' higher handicappers iron to own so I hit some at my local golf store (along with a few others that did not feel nearly as nice). Really wanted them fully fitted but they had just been discontinued so I bought off the shelf with a lie adjustment and they have served me very well since. Added a MX-700 hybrid and R12 wedge to the set along the way.

Now, I'm itching to get a proper custom fit for my next set before the season starts but I want a few lessons to fine tune the swing for this year ;)

Oh - I'd add a Neo Staff bag if there were ever any in stock anywhere!

MiniBlueDragon

HCP
Local club/country
Roamer
Irons
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (TT XP 115 S300) 4-PW
Driver
Mizuno JPX EZ
End of 2005 - The first time I picked up a golf club properly. Really enjoyed it but was completely crap.

Mid 2006 - Bought my first set. Skymax Ice + irons. Played crap still, got bored and gave up.

Mid 2007 - Took up golf again. Played crap some more. Local pro suggested better clubs would help. Bought Nike Sumo SQ irons.

End of 2007 - Got frustrated and stopped playing again.

Early 2010 - Invited out to play golf with partner's family. Sliced every ball into the woods. Sliced every shot out of the woods straight back in. Went through 36 balls in the round (I know this as they were my Christmas present) and decided that if I was every going to get good I needed to figure out the basics and get myself into a position to play "ok" golf.
Read an article on Stack and Tilt, bought the book and the DVD's and practiced diligently. Bought a TM Burner 4 hybrid to get more distance off the tee.

Mid 2010 - S&T swing started to take a toll on my lower back (I have an excessive lumbar curve). Can't be sure if it was solely S&T or my own interpretation of it or just that my back wasn't used to it but either way I started to gravitate away from S&T toward a traditional swing. The swing still stayed reasonably consistent and I bought a Yonex Nanospeed 3i 3W for more tee distance.

End of 2010 - Improved to the point that every shot was a straight push shot. Thought the clubs might be part of the problem. Sure enough several reviews said the Sumo SQ's were toe-heavy and caused the club to fan open at impact. Time for new clubs!

Early 2011 - Went to local golf superstore and asked to try TM Burner 2.0's. Salesman suggested Yonex's VMS irons based on my 3W. Hit them for several test sessions and decided that they were fantastic and worth buying.

Mid 2011 - Decided that I wanted a driver for more tee distance. Went for a driver fitting and they tried to sell me every expensive driver they could. Eventually I told them I has a tiny budget and would only be interested in anything <£250. That left me with the Cleveland Summinkorother (DST?) and Mizuno JPX 800.

I hit the JPX 800 like a bat out of hell. 1.5 smash factor on every strike with little to no effort (I'd never swung a driver before) and most of my shots reasonably straight. I was sold. As soon as I realised how much I loved the Mizzie driver I asked to try the 3W. Again every single stat was better than my Yonex so I bought the 3W at the same time.

I then sold the Yonex 3W and was happy with my set. Except that my 4i striking was good enough to go longer than my 4h.

Loving my driver and 3W I decided to try the JPX 800 3 hybrid and again it was amazing. Bagged it and gave the 4H to my grandfather who wanted a longer club to slice everything with. ;)

End of 2011 - Was on my way back from a mate's and my grandfather called to see if I fancied going to the range. I had no clubs but the range had a superstore there so I decided to try out the MP-59 that day. I hit each and every shot within 20yd of where I'd aimed compared to the 40-60 yard dispersion of the VMS's.
I set up for a draw and drawed the ball perfectly to the target.
I set up for a fade and I faded the ball perfectly to the target.
The sound at impact was soft but firm and felt powerful. Amazing!

The following week I went back to the range to try them again but the MP-59 heads were out on test so they suggested trying the MP-58 head. Again the feeling off the face was great. I had more trouble shot shaping but next to the VMS irons they were like superstars. More Mizuno love!

From there every time I picked up my clubs I hated the look of them at address. The sound at impact was a loud "clack" noise and each shot would have a drastic difference (20-40 yards) in distance between a perfect sweet spot contact and a few mm away from the sweet spot. When I hit a 4i off the tee on a 200 yard hole, expecting a regular 180 yard strike and it overshoots the green there's something seriously amiss!

I tried the MP-59's again and once again they were amazing so I decided to book myself for a free fitting at the NFC.

Fitting was fantastic and I found out that my swing is firmly in the stiff band and right in the middle of medium weight shafts. Little wonder my dispersion had been so erratic with the VMS irons with regular shafts!

Both the MP-59 head and the MP-53 head were hit reasonably well with not a huge amount of difference in them. A little more forgiveness with the MP-53's though meant they were optimal for my fitting.

Over the next week I kept going back to "what if I get the 53's but could hit the 59's almost as well?" and "if I get the 59's they're less forgiving but look at how far your swing has come in the last year" etc so I booked a second fitting to make sure.

The second fitting went horribly. The DNA machine was on the club sideways (remembered this afterward unfortunately) and I think that's why the 'release' figure was 9 and suggesting completely the wrong shaft. My "handicap" suggested JPX800 heads even though I don't have an official handicap and knew it would be either the MP59 or MP53 for me. My swing was ridiculous and all over the place which was later attributed to me flipping through the ball when we did the lieboard test and I was hitting the back of the bounce, not the front edge.

Having written off the second fitting completely I went back the next day to the range and tried the MP-59 with s300 shaft as per my first fitting and everything about it felt right. Weight, flex, ball flight, my balance during the swing etc. Coupled with the offer of £200 trade-in on my old irons and I was sold.

My Mizuno love is quite recent but nothing else has come close so far so I can't see that changing.

EDIT: Think I've mixed golf story and Mizuno story into one. Whoops!

Faldofan

HCP
Local club/country
Prestatyn. N Wales
Irons
Ping i E1
Driver
Mizuno JPX850
Kel1968 said:
As a teenager I started playing with Brosnan Tour Classics and got my handicap down to 2. At this time I had an opportunity to undertake a traineeship in Far North Queensland, but didn't have the financial backing needed. I then went out into the workplace and worked in Defence and Law Enforcement.

I have tried the Mizuno clubs over the years at various demo days and loved the feel of the way the ball comes off the face. They are always well manufactured.

Over the past two years I have caddied for a number of Korean and Taiwan professionals in the Australian Open Championships. These player have all been contracted to Mizuno and as such I have used their clubs on the range and during practice rounds. The more I used them the more that I have become a fan.

Just watch the PGA, LPGA, Nationwide, Champions Tours and you will notice more and more professionals are switching to Mizuno. Currently the World number 1, Luke Donald uses Mizuno MP-62 clubs 3-PW.

Recently I have had the opportunity to get into Golf Operations at a Sydney Metropolitan Public course that sells Mizuno clubs. I have used the Mizuno Club Fitting Workshop and tried a number of the clubs out myself. They have really impressed me that much that I am now switching from my McGregor VIP Tourney irons to the new Mizuno MP-59's from 3-PW and MP650 Driver, Fairway and Hybrid. I am looking forward to using these in the upcoming NSW Vardon events.
Hi Kel,
Are you currently using the MP650, if so what shaft, and what do you think of it ?

Ron

Top Bottom