What's your Mizuno story?

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
Brilliant stuff Zunoloyalist and welcome to the Forum. Great that you've invested in some new Mizzy equipment and I wish you all the very best with your golf in the future. Reminds me a bit of a book aread last year called 'Dream On' by John Richardson although a slightly different story to yours. Worth a read if you havn't read it already

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Welcome to the forum ZunoLoyalist. (Great screen name by the way) It sounds like you came to the current time pre indoctrinated in the addiction that is Mizzie. Good for you.

eduardo fandango

Local club/country
Wollaton Park / Ramsdale Park
Used to do a bit of judo, and was always happy with Mizuno stuff for that.

When my knees couldn't take it any more I took up golf.

When I realised Mizuno made golf equipment it was a no brainer.

I've since discovered just how well regarded their golf clubs are.

Currently have JPX 825 3w, JPX Fli-Hi 3 & 5 hybrids and MX19 irons. Putter is a Wilson Staff 8882 though.

Might be looking to add a couple of MP-T5 wedges in the near future, perhaps a JPX 850 driver too.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
eduardo fandango said:
Used to do a bit of judo, and was always happy with Mizuno stuff for that.

When my knees couldn't take it any more I took up golf.

When I realised Mizuno made golf equipment it was a no brainer.

I've since discovered just how well regarded their golf clubs are.

Currently have JPX 825 3w, JPX Fli-Hi 3 & 5 hybrids and MX19 irons. Putter is a Wilson Staff 8882 though.

Might be looking to add a couple of MP-T5 wedges in the near future, perhaps a JPX 850 driver too.
Cracking forum name :)

Wedges and Driver well worth getting IMO although I'd go for a fitting.

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton, England
Irons
Mizuno JPX850 3W, Taylormade Aero Burner 3 Hybrid, MP5 4-PW, S5 Blue Wedges 50,54,58, Taylormade Ghost Daytona Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX850 Motore Speeder Stiff Flex
Hi guys, I'm new to the site but not to Mizuno.  So hello from a Welshman living in the English Riviera.  Already read a few posts off people starting out in golf and picking up a mixed set of clubs - me too and the TP9 7 iron in the bag was (and probably still is) the most rewarding club I have ever hit when I got it right :)  Once I could afford a full set I picked up a full set of used TP9's from the Pro Shop and proceeded to enjoy golf for a number of years.  This was until I was talked into buying my first new set of clubs and the benefits that I would gain from a cavity and more precisely the marketing of the first generation of Callaway Big Bertha irons.  I never got on with them apart from the 2 iron that I still have.  By the time I swallowed my pride and admitted I had the wrong equipment I had lost a lot of shots and was a bit disillusioned - went from 10.8 back to 16. I tried again with Mizuno and bought a set of T Zoid CT's which although instantly felt better came a little late as due to work and family commitments I gave up the game.  That was until I got a divorce, moved to Spain, fell in with a good crowd of society golfers there and fell in love with the game again.  I bought a second hand set of Yonex graphite shafted clubs which I was poor with to be fair (me not the clubs) and started to hit shots again.  I moved back to Devon (long story) just over a year ago, got the Mizuno's out of the clutches of the ex wife and started playing some wonderful courses here.  So I have now decided I want to take the game a little more serious and get myself competitive again.  Playing off 18 at the moment so the next bit of this may not make sense.  I had a fitting with Mizuno at my local driving range last week and was pretty much set on the MP25's due to the write up.  Two things came out of the fitting - one the shafts in my current irons are not stiff enough and the MP5 irons are the sexiest thing I have seen since the TP9's and I can work them, with the correct shaft, like I did at my prime.  So after a lot of deliberation and committing to the golf cause I have ordered the set including JPX850 driver, 3 wood and a set of S5 wedges.  Only two months of waiting before I can start my next chapter.  May the golf Gods be with me :)

HCP
Local club/country
Mill Creek Park
Irons
JPX-850 Forged, 4-GW, XP115, Regular
Driver
Titleist 913D2
I am brand new to Mizuno...have played Ping/Titleist for as long as I can remember...still have a little bit here are there...making a slow migration to Mizuno...starting with my shiny new 850 Forged irons.  

Wedges are next...either S5 or MP-T5...gonna have to go hit both.

Happy to be here!!

John

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
jdsword said:
That was until I got a divorce, moved to Spain, fell in with a good crowd of society golfers there and fell in love with the game again.  ...got the Mizuno's out of the clutches of the ex wife and started playing some wonderful courses here.
Wonderful words jdsword!

Good to hear a good ending to your story.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
A good friend in Jamaica retired to Spain and feels like the golf there is just about the best value in the world. If you ever run into a guy named Mike Gillette, give him my regards. (It's a small country)

Mike's son Stewart is the pro and club namager at some classy club in England. I don't recall the name of it.

HCP
Local club/country
Brampton Park Cambs
Irons
850 Forged 4-PW TT xp-95 S300
Driver
Ping G15 10.5 Serrano 60-S
Hi everyone, New to Mizuno and the board.

I guess my story starts back in June when I started playing golf at the ripe age of 37!! (bit of a late starter :D) A good friend of mine restarted the game and joined his local club and asked if I wanted to come and have a bash... hack would have been a better word!!

I bought an old set from him of Ping G2's 3-LW and had a fantastic day... didn't play great but enjoyed myself all the same. Went a few more times over the coming weeks and found myself hooked! The golf was getting better.... I joined the club and started to play 3 times week and dropped from a 28hcp to 14 (how I long for the light nights to return)

I found out the clubs I'm using were a custom set made for someone almost a foot smaller than me and its been... Interesting to say the least using them... So I was in the market for something new. 

Fast-forward to The British Masters.

I found myself standing inline at the Mizuno stand just wanting to hit some balls after watching the pro's, I stepped up and got given a 850 Forged 7 iron. Not expecting anything I swung away and hit the sweetest shot I've ever played!!! I couldn't believe how good it felt, the sound.... I hit a 2nd and again just like the first it was unreal! I truly feel in love with this club..

From that moment on I was sure these clubs were for me, but had to be sure... (its a large investment when I have a wife and 2 kids at home) so I went to hit other clubs (most of them to be fair) against the 850... NOTHING came close on the feel or the data... I was sold!!!  Ordered and got fitted on the 1st Nov and just waiting for the heads to come into stock and the clubs to be built... So I have to use my horrible pings for 2 more weeks at least before I can really start playing golf...

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Welcome to the forum chap, I hope you enjoy the new clubs, I love mine :)

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
welcome to the forum,
 enjoy the best clubs ever made

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Welcome to the madhouse! - Most of us have experienced the same feeling you had - The difference in feel compared to Pings & other clubs is quite a revelation - Enjoy your clubs & your stay on the forum ... Paul

HCP
Local club/country
The Musselburgh Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 5- PW KBS Tour 90 Stiff. MPT4 Wedges 52, 56 and 60
Driver
Titleist 915 D3 with Aldila Rogue Black 70 Stiff
My Mizuno story starts in 1998 I think, with a set of Mizuno Pro irons.  Absolutely loved them and that was the start of my belief that Mizuno were the best irons available.

In 2002, I started using a set of Callaway irons (X14 possibly?).  They just had no feel and I stuck with them for about 18 months until the end of 2003.

At the start of 2004 I drove up to Auchterlonies in St Andrews (only a 50 minute drive and always loved that shop).  Spent a couple of hours trying out various irons, but went back to what I loved and bought a set of MP-30s.  Still have those clubs in the loft - they are still in good nick and were recently regripped. I use them when my brother in law comes over from Australia.

I used the MP-30s until 2013, when I bought a set of JPX825 Pros, an MP-H4 4 iron and 3 MP-T4 wedges.  All beautifully made up by Scott Gourlay at Craigmillar Park Golf Club, just down the road from the house.  Only bought the JPX irons as at that time there was no MP replacement as yet for the MP-53s.  Just a short time later the MP-54s came out.

I like the look of the MP25s, so I think if I change irons in the next few months they are the most likely purchase.

sevenfourate

HCP
+1
Local club/country
England
Irons
Taylormade RSi TP
Driver
Mizuno MP650
1993 - The Open: Royal St Georges.

Dad drove me and a friend down on the Saturday. I got there thinking i wanted to follow my hero Greg Norman. At that point you couldn't see the colour of my bedrooms walls for the Aussies posters........

BUT: Upon standing around the putting green i got asked to move to look around and see Nick Faldo behind me and i'm blocking his way. He goes past and i'm immediately smitten by the man. His stature, demeanor, presence and confidence was inspiring.

So like any impressionable child i get home and want to be; Nick Faldo.

Closest i could manage was selling my existing irons, along with a pukka BMX i had and then my good old Dad chucked the extra in and the TP19's were ordered.

Man i LOVED them puppies.

HCP
Local club/country
Bokskogen GC, Sweden
Irons
MP-60 4-PW (S300)
Driver
Yes...
Well... it all started in 2005.

I've always been hitting balls at driving ranges around were I was living, but started playing the game when I got my license called "Grönt kort" (Yeah, you need that to play in Sweden).

Started with some old Spaldings, bought a couple of Topflites. Then a co-worker to my dad asked me if I wanted to check his MP30s out. A couple of swings and I was hooked. So went from a HCP of 32 to 21 that summer.
I am also an active amature bowler in Sweden playing our Swedish leauge, European Tour so golf was a summer thing.

On my 20th birthday in 2007 I hade my eyes on a set of MP32's, just because I could. So went from 21 to my current HCP of 7 with those and just last week I received a couple of MP60s and I fell in love at first swing.

I tried a set of Titleist AP2's last summer but 7 rounds and they got sold again. Nothing feels like a Mizuno, right?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Wonder if Nick will post here now he's re-signed?

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
MPX said:
Wonder if Nick will post here now he's re-signed?
now that would be quite the Mizuno story!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've decided Mizuno is not equipment, it's a disease. Nicely enough, it's incurable.

Many of you have been following my recent thread about going to graphite shafts and my experiment to modify them. When I went looking for a used set to mess with, I saw plenty of Callaways and Taylormades, not to mention a very nice set of Adams irons I really liked. The thing is, I felt like there was no way I wanted anything other than Mizunos.

I did find a set in excellent condition, with a pretty high quality shaft and I have no buyer's remorse over buying them, opposed to something newer I could have had in another brand.

I actually had the thought cross my mind... If I went to another brand, I would feel badly about it. I wouldn't be able to talk to all the friends I've made here about something in common.

It's a very special disease and I have no desire to be cured.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
You've entertained us all for a long time. Don't do it :):):)

Top Bottom