What's your Mizuno story?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Burns509 said:
Apart form picking up a set of TP-18 irons out of curiosity, my story has yet to begin.  A new set of irons is on the cards, watch this space... 
Probably the best range Mizuno has had at any one time is on offer at the moment. If you can't find what you're looking for in the current range, then you'll have a job finding it anywhere ;)  Mizuno seem to have every angle covered at the moment. Hope the buying process goes well.

Local club/country
Canada
Irons
Mizuno MP-53 3-P, MP-T4 52*, MP R-12 56*, MP R-12 60*
Driver
Titleist 910 D3 10.5* Diamana 72S, Titleist 913F 15* Diamana 82S
For the longest time I had Ping Eye 2+ in the bag.  I purchased R-12 wedges off WRX forum last year to add to set.  Liked the feel and look so much, planned on replacing Pings and building a serious bag.  Then found a deal on new MP-54s, my first new iron set.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
OMG - Another North American in the Mizuno Forum... We're taking over!!!

Welcome to the forum roundersmitty.

One of the guys who works with me still plays Ping Eye2 irons. He's a good player who doesn't seem impressed with much of anything new. Just like a bunch of us are goofy for our Mizuno equipment, he's the same way with his Pings. I think after a couple rounds, you'll like your MP-54 set better...

HCP
Local club/country
Marlborough Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 7-PW with Nippon Zelos 7 shafts, JPX Fli-Hi 5 & 6 with Orochi graphite shafts, Mizuno S5 blue wedges (50, 56 & 60) with Nippon NS Pro 950 shafts
Driver
Callaway Big Bertha V Series driver & 5 wood, Callaway Big Bertha 22 degree hybrid, Odyssey White Hot RX V-Line Fang putter
My first sets of clubs when I started playing about 10 years ago were Ping G5's, which I then changed to Ping G15's. Having switched to Mizuno over the past few years, can't see me leaving the fold now, just found the 825's much better feeling than the Ping's, even though they are not forged. However, I have kept a Ping Driver and putter!

I did try a Cleveland Black driver and fairway woods but didn't keep them long. Also had a Rife Aruba putter, which I sold on e-bay but wish I had kept now as it was a really nice putter!

I am going to try and stick to my current bag for a while, but we will see.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
We've shared some of the same clubs. I had a set of Ping G15 irons which I sold to my regular playing partner when I got fitted for G20s. Those G15 irons felt surprisingly good. That fitting was a horrible experience and I sold the G20 set, then getting some Callaways, but I never found a Callaway set I really cared for. They just don't feel right to me. I went to Mizuno JPX-825 irons for the past year and just changed to a set of MP-H4s.

Just like you said, the Mizunos feel so good I'll never change away from this brand again.

Local club/country
Canada
Irons
Mizuno MP-53 3-P, MP-T4 52*, MP R-12 56*, MP R-12 60*
Driver
Titleist 910 D3 10.5* Diamana 72S, Titleist 913F 15* Diamana 82S
DennisMiller said:
OMG - Another North American in the Mizuno Forum... We're taking over!!!

Welcome to the forum roundersmitty.

One of the guys who works with me still plays Ping Eye2 irons. He's a good player who doesn't seem impressed with much of anything new. Just like a bunch of us are goofy for our Mizuno equipment, he's the same way with his Pings. I think after a couple rounds, you'll like your MP-54 set better...
Thx for the warm welcome.  Eye 2s are good once you get used to them...gamed them well but always thought there is too much offset.  Gamed old Hogan blades before too...the MP-54s are kind of in between, with way better feel, and way better look at address.

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
Jacked in my membership at Chobham GC. Runs out on the 31st. Near impossible to get tee times as the cliques (mens section has more in common with an all-girl school than a golf club) have block-booked from 1st tee until after noon. Since I became a member last year I managed to get in to 1 competition and was made to feel like I'd robbed an old woman because 1 of the "gang" couldn't get in because I'd taken their place. Can be arsed with that kind of shyte. As a result I hadn't played since beginning of Jan. I thought I'd take the right handed clubs for a walk today. Shot 22 over, not bad seeing as I hadn't swung right handed in anger in nearly 2 years! Played better tee-to-green than 22over suggests just putted badly.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Fluffywan said:
Jacked in my membership at Chobham GC. Runs out on the 31st. Near impossible to get tee times as the cliques (mens section has more in common with an all-girl school than a golf club) have block-booked from 1st tee until after noon. Since I became a member last year I managed to get in to 1 competition and was made to feel like I'd robbed an old woman because 1 of the "gang" couldn't get in because I'd taken their place. Can be ***** with that kind of shyte. As a result I hadn't played since beginning of Jan. I thought I'd take the right handed clubs for a walk today. Shot 22 over, not bad seeing as I hadn't swung right handed in anger in nearly 2 years! Played better tee-to-green than 22over suggests just putted badly.
Reckon you could play regularly right handed again, or are you committed to lefty now?

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
BigPete said:
Fluffywan said:
Jacked in my membership at Chobham GC. Runs out on the 31st. Near impossible to get tee times as the cliques (mens section has more in common with an all-girl school than a golf club) have block-booked from 1st tee until after noon. Since I became a member last year I managed to get in to 1 competition and was made to feel like I'd robbed an old woman because 1 of the "gang" couldn't get in because I'd taken their place. Can be ***** with that kind of shyte. As a result I hadn't played since beginning of Jan. I thought I'd take the right handed clubs for a walk today. Shot 22 over, not bad seeing as I hadn't swung right handed in anger in nearly 2 years! Played better tee-to-green than 22over suggests just putted badly.
Reckon you could play regularly right handed again, or are you committed to lefty now?
I reckon so Pete, I was able to swing the club without any pain in left hand, strength has been slowly coming back and the movement is as good as it'll ever be. It just took 2 yrs! I think I'll still keep the lefty up, might even mix and match in the bag depending on conditions etc.

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP-H5/6-PW
Driver
Titleist 910
My first real set of clubs were ping G2's back in 04.  Since then, the drivers, wedges, and putters changed but the irons held.....  Until march 2015.  I am not the proud (fitted) owner of 6-PW MP-H5's.  After  a few rounds and some driving range practice.... These irons are AwEsOmE!  Love them - I am now addicted to Mizuno clubs and see why some friends have been on mizuno for a while now.  They look and feel great and definitely improve my game.  Thanks Mizuno!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Congratulations on your new H5 irons. When I was fitted, I went back and forth between the 850 and the H5. I wish I had chosen the H5 in the end. Now, I'm using some H4 irons, but I'll move up to H5s sooner or later. Great irons...

Just

Local club/country
Netherlands
Irons
MP30 & SPL
Since October 2014 after a standstill of 25 years picked up golf again. First with the Brownings I still had, soon bought some Ping eye 2 and last February bought a second hand set of MP30s and two blue rage woods. The irons are nice and direct, with S300 shafts. The woods easy and give a nice distance. All the places were there should have been a nice paint layer on the woods there were marks so I took al the paint of the 5 wood and made it nice and shiny with some 1500 and 2000 sandpaper and now has its regular place in the bag. There are days that the stiff shafts do not work for me and then I go back to the eye2s. Recently I bought a ful set of Mizuno SPL irons and woods with regular shafts and matching s/n, they look almost brandnew and I am reluctant to try them out, to keep them as they are. So not yet fully dedicated to Mizuno but really like the workmanship that goes in the clubs and the feeling when you hit a ball right.

HCP
Local club/country
Upton, Chester - England
Irons
Mp4 4-pw stiff, 52 & 60 Mpt5, jpx 850 3 wood, jpx 850 hybrid 3
Driver
jpx 850 9.5
I got my first set of clubs aged 10, Wilson, red and white bag signed by Bernhard Langer(a memorable xmas as I immediately smashed a glass lampshade swinging the driver), switched to ping at aged 14, and there I stayed swapping ping models for 10 years, while on holiday in florida I went to a pro shop in Orlando planning to pick up a full set cheap for a few rounds while my girlfriend hit the Disney parks, after 5 hours testing irons I discovered the MP30s(so it wasn't the cheap set I planned), I'd never felt anything like it, they were like an extension of my arms, the iron glided through the ball and hitting that sweet spot felt so soft and perfect, I've used them since, along with Taylormade woods. A couple of weeks back I went with an open mind to look for a new set, I took 4 iron sets up to the test lab, the Nike pros, callaway, ping and the mizuno Mp4s, I asked to leave the mizuno until last, after hitting each club in each set I got an mp4 in my hands, everything just clicked into place, it felt like shaking hands with an old friend, the weight was perfect, the shots were true and that feeling of a hot knife through butter when striking the ball was back. The tech said straight away that I looked so comfortable with them and all my stats on the laptop looked great with them. Went through to same process with woods, wedges etc, all now mizuno apart from my 15 year old trusty putter! Not only do the mp4s feel incredible, they are also the most beautiful irons I've ever seen. Now have to wait for them to be put together, should get them in 3 weeks, other than the pitching wedge, the components arnt available until mid August.

NJ29UK

HCP
Local club/country
Prestwick St Nicholas, Scotland
Irons
T zoid pro
Driver
Ping g2 10.5
Hi there. My first and current Mizuno clubs are a set of forged T-Zoid Pro. I bought them second hand about ten years ago for £200 and are without doubt the best irons I've owned. I have strong anecdotal evidence that they were originally owned by Seve (details to follow if anyone is interested). I firmly believe that they were, but can anyone advise on a way of authenticating this claim? And has anyone any idea how much they may be worth (3 to SW) with or without some kind of proof? Thanks. Neil.

Attachments

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Seve did have a set of these in year 2000 - his last St Andrews, Open Championship.  So not impossible.  Will ask the tour guys to look at the marking and see if it might be a workshop set.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Welcome aboard the forum, NJ. Hope MPX turns up some good news for you.

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
roundersmitty said:
For the longest time I had Ping Eye 2+ in the bag.  I purchased R-12 wedges off WRX forum last year to add to set.  Liked the feel and look so much, planned on replacing Pings and building a serious bag.  Then found a deal on new MP-54s, my first new iron set.
Awesome smitty. Well done on finding your way out of the dark side. Enjoy the feel of those 54's :D

HCP
Local club/country
Sherfield Oaks - UK
Irons
MP-H5 Hitogami 2 Iron / 4-PW: MP-4 Blades - Project X 6.5 / Wedges: MP-T5 - Black - 51/57/62 custom stamped.
Driver
JPX-850 - 10.5deg - Motore Speeder X-flex
Dad was a Mizuno loyalist long before I was, taking his TP-11s all the way to Open qualifying in 1988. I didn't take up golf until I was 16 and didnt take it seriously until I was 26! But around my 17th birthday my dad got me a set of off the rack MP-67 blades and told me if im going to learn the game I should do it properly!

So for 8 years or so I have been hitting the same blades from a humble 19 handicap to a 7.0 which is where I currently lie with most of those shots coming off in the last 2 years. Only in the last 6 months though have I made a conscious decision to set a target time to get to scratch and then to have a go at getting on a satellite tour and "chancing it" at the bigtime. I quit my job and started my own business from home to free up around 20 hours a week practice time, a coach employed who I see once every two weeks and a personal trainer to get my fitness nailed.

So the obvious next step was to sort myself out with pro level gear... so last week I got fitted for 13 new Mizzys, the core of the set being the MP-4 blade fitted with PX 6.5s. They arrive on the 23rd of July along with driver, 3w, 2 iron and wedges.... then the real grind begins.....

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Good story ZunoLoyalist. 

Interesting to see how far you get.