Mowgli

HCP
Local club/country
Breezy Bend
Irons
MP 54 4-PW / MP-T4 50, 56, 60
Driver
D - MP600 9.5 / 3W - Ping G15 15* / H - Adams Idea Pro Black 20*
I have been playing golf since I was 9. Played a ton until I was 20 then basically stopped (only playing 4-5 times per year).

About 8 years ago I got back into it and went through several sets of irons from players to super game improvement. One day in the spring a friend was raving over some mizuno blades. They sounded intriguing.

Consequently I went to my local shop and I discovered they had the fitting cart. This was the coolest thing ever. That rig is basically what sold me. I picked up MP 52 and they were excellent. The only reason I switched to the MP59 was after playing more than ever and lowering my handicap, I learned that I needed a slightly stiffer shaft.

Great work and love the workshop videos.

Over

Prairiegolfer

HCP
Local club/country
IronHorse Golf Club / USA
Irons
MP54 5-PW, KBS tour V, T-5 50,54,58
Driver
Titleist TS3, 3wood TS2, 5 wood TS2
Great idea Mr Clark, really great stories...

My 1st set of Mizuno irons were mp 14's.
(I know, what the hell were you thinking?)
I had dabbled in golf in the late 70's, early 80's with my Dad from 15 yrs old until I was 25. I was a decent athlete and loved/hated the challenge of hitting this little white ball, but found it extremely addictive.

I played ping eye2 in the early 90's for a couple of years, but though the game was really leaping from balata and persimmon to game improvement technology, but the best players were playing Mizuno irons. Glued to the TV and watching Faldo hit a 2 iron off a side hill lie at the Masters, and in a complete state of denial about my swing, I decided on MP 14's.

I had recently moved to the Kansas City area and found a great shop in Omaha, NE, Classic Golf, whose owner is one of the great golf antique equipment collectors in the USA, and now the US national and world champion of many "hickory" golf tournaments.
So, yes, I drove 250 miles , one way to buy a set of Mizuno MP 14's. (this is when your wife begins to seriously consider some of her life choices)

Moved to t-zoids after 6-7 years of the 14's and then a 5 year move to KZG evolutions, but now back to mp62's. I know the game of golf has been a big part of the journey for all on this forum and Mizuno has been a big part of making the ride so much fun.

eddzoid

HCP
Local club/country
Swaffhamgc.co.uk
Irons
JPX919 HOT METAL 5-PW , S5 54/58 WEDGES, LINE90 #2 PUTTER
Driver
JPX900
Working part time at local club, Barnham Broom near Norwich, the assistant pro noticed my 2nd hand shop clubs & told me to try the Mizuno T-zoid Sure. Loved Mizzy ever since, hence the Zoid in my user name, :0). Now playing MX300, MP CLK hybrids, MPR-10 54, MPT-11 60, & a Bettinardi BC2 putter. Next clubs will probably be 800 pros. Thanks for listening.

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2
My story does not go back as far as you guys. Nov 2009 the Callaway x16s I was using at the time needed to be re-gripped and I wanted to play while they were in the shop, so I borrowed my uncles mp60s. He is a decent player (around 4-5 handicap) and he has used Mizuno for as long as I can remember, not sure he has ever had anything else tbh.

Well, I loved them, and booked in to the NFC at New Malden before I had even collected my Cally shovels from the pro shop. I tried the 58s, 62s and 68s, went for the 62s with DGS300 SL shafts and am glad I did.

Got down to cat 1 in my first season with them (although admittedly I never had far to go, I think I was off 6 or maybe 7 when I was fitted) but they have definitely improved my game. They might be my first set of Mizzys by they sure won't be my last.

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
I'd been messing about for a few years with my Dad's hand me downs. I think they were an old set of Dunlop's. Anyway I was stuck on 14 handicap and new I should be doing better. I was playing at Bury GC one day and spotted a set of Mizuno irons in the shop. It must have been about 1994. It was love at first sight really. They turned out to be a re-conditioned set of TP-11's. I couldn't believe the unbelievable feel I got from a well struck shot. Well I won my first board competition with them in early 1995, coming down a couple of shots in the process. I was picked for the club team shortly after that and becaume a regular team player for many years after. I then bought a set of second hand MP-30's and won a few more major comps with them and came down to 5 handicap eventually. I must say breaking into single figures is one of the hardest barriers to achieve in golf.

I then bought my first new set, MX200's around 2005. After joining this Forum in 2009 and learning so much about custom fitting and everything else about golf from Forum members, I bought my first ever custom set and my current JPX Pro's. I'm currently off 9, but that's due to not playing much in the last few years. I'm back playing seriously this season and fully expect to get back down to category one asap.

TheBear

HCP
Local club/country
Roskilde Denmark
Irons
Mp-52. Dynalite XP regular 4-PW, MP T-10 stiff 52/58 degree
Driver
Callaway Diablo Tour Edge reg. 10,5, Callaway Diablo Tour Edge 3 & 5 wood reg., 3 Hybrid Adams A7 reg. Putter: Ray Cook, Blue Goose1
I used to play game improvement irons until I started reading a lot about irons, shafts and swing technics. Quickly realising that it must be the irons holding me back not my poor technic I set out to find the best irons for me :) Ended up purchasing a set of Macgregor M685 which helped me to understand just how much a good set can do for you.

However since I had now figured that out and have to admit I never did like looking at the Macgregors I had to move on. Luckily I had seen a picture of the Mizuno MP-32 and just knew I had to own a set. Bought it, knowing I was not good enough but just had to! (anyone know the feeling?) By a miracle I actually managed to reduce my handicap considerably with a 41 point round as the big highlight.

Having messed around with my wife and ended up with 2 kids as a consequence I had to change tactic and go for a more forgiving iron. Naturally it could only be Mizuno as I will never cross over to the dark side. I am now the very happy owner of a MP-52 custom fitted set just for me. Funny thing is that I have never reduced my handicap with these sweet sticks :). Pretty sure it is me though.

ICEMAN6999

HCP
Local club/country
Old Padeswood GC
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal 6-SW
Driver
Ping G425 Driver
Well a friend of mine who plays Cobra said about Clays he was going for a fitting then going to use the fitting to get another make "spitting noise" So i said i would go and take a look went up and had the works absolutely blown away by the whole product still hitting some good some bad but not as bad lol. Been playing since the 1980's and took a few years out due to injury now coming up to 60 and looking forward to playing a lot more and with me Mizuno's hope to get much better scores.

HCP
Local club/country
Berrien Hills Golf Course
Irons
MP52 Project X 5.0
Driver
MP-630 10.5 Fubuki reg
I was hitting balls at the indoor driving range in the
winter. our local golf shop had set-up a mini store there
and the pga pro and I had become friends. He knew I was
interested in new irons and he told me he had the new
MP52 6 iron with him that day. I went and hit 3 of them.
flushed all 3 and felt that buttery feel of Mizuno. never
looked back. Did the shaft optimizer and bought MP52 with
Project X Shafts. Just love the look of Project X!
Handicap went from 15 to a 5 in 2 years.

MX Man

HCP
Local club/country
SE England
Irons
MP 53
Driver
Mizuno JPX 800
Bought a set of TP21s to replace a lovely but well used set of MacGregor JNPs in about 1997.

I wanted Mizuno because in those days the lies were 2 degrees flatter than most others which was exactly my set up. Full c/f wasn't really an option in those days. Also liked their reputation for making quality clubs. This was also the time that Lyle, Faldo and Olazabal were (or had been) playing Mizunos.

Took a demo TP21 and the then new T-Zoid Pro (5 irons in those days) to the range and hit lots of balls with both but the the TP21s shaded it. Also loved the Rifle shafts that came as standard. I played with them for a dozen years and still have them.

Was seduced by a set of MP30's to replace the TP21s but they were too good for me and now have MX25's. A superb club which combines looks, feel and playability.

I have also collected a fair few ex-demo clubs (MP57,60 and 68, and MX23 and 300) which I like hitting on the range from time to time.

I also love the way that Mizuno as a company just oozes a love of the game rather than just a desire to maximise sales and income through marketing and gimmickry.

Why wouldn't anyone be a fan.

Oh and blue is my favourite colour.

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
MX Man said:
I also love the way that Mizuno as a company just oozes a love of the game rather than just a desire to maximise sales and income through marketing and gimmickry.

Why wouldn't anyone be a fan.

Oh and blue is my favourite colour.
What a delight. Well done MXMan, just about sums up Mizuno's philosphy. Oh and my favourite colour is also blue

maxissy

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.dngc.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP-53 5-PW Rifle 5.5,4 iron FliHi, 52/60 degree MP R 11 wedges
Driver
Mizuno 9.5 degree MP630 FT, MP Titanium 3 & 5 wood
I played Pro II's some years back and although a lovely club, they were too good for me.

I then played Titleist for a few years when I won an MX700 driver, I had never heard of it to be honest, looked it up onthe net and saw the good reviews, took lt out and love it

since then i have traded all my clubs in and now play all Mizuno except putter, but that is something I thinking about!!

rb990

HCP
Local club/country
Muswell Hill G.C/ Hadley Wood GC
Irons
MP64 4-PW PX 6.0 1 flat Vokey 50.08 54.14 58.04
Driver
TM M1 430 9.5 / Tour AD Gt 6s, TM M1 3HL
My very first set was a junior set of Mizuno faldo's; 15 degree driver, 18 degree 3 wood, 6 iron through sw, putter and bag. I got them in 1998, I knew a little bit about faldo at the time but mostly got them because i insisted that I was going to like golf enough to need a full set straight away.
About 2-3 years later a set of second hand mp33's came up for sale, some one had hit 50 range balls with them and decided they couldnt hit them, so I got my parents to snap them up straight away. At that time I was a member at Dubai Creek where Thomas Bjorn was attached, he was in between contracts with Taylormade and Srixon at the time and also had a set of mp33's in the bag, as a 12 odd year old it was an amazing experience practicing on the same range as him with the same clubs!

From then onwards I've had mizuno irons all the way through, the 33's were replaced with 37's, and the 32 long irons were put in the bag before a proper 60/67 combo set. After a 2 and a bit year break from golf I got some mp63's in 2010 and have a set of (iffy) 68's on clearance recently. Mizuno hybrids and Fairway woods, most memorably the mp001 have found their way into the bag at some stage but nothing really permanent, maybe the mp650's might change that towards the end of this year!

sjaclark

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Scotland
Irons
MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver
MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1
Great responses from everyone so far, thanks!

Dutch

HCP
Local club/country
Kenilworth GC, Warwickshire
Irons
MP59 PX5.5/ 4-PW, MPT-11 52/7 & 58/10, putter -SC Del Mar
Driver
Titleist 910D2 / 10.5 Diamana Kai'li R, 3W 910Fd / Kai'li S , Rescues 910 19/ Kai'li S & MP CLK 23 Fubuki S
Interesting replies on this. I started out with Tzoid XV - cast clubs that possibly did not really give me the sense of what Mizzie could really do. That was in 1996, then changed over the years to maxfli, Cleveland and then finally back to Mizuno when i bought the MP30s (IMO the best iron they have made) in about 2005. Interestingly I dropped from 21 to 9 with the MP30s.

Was tempted to Titleist when the AP2s came out but was soon back when the Mp58s hit to shelves. Got it down to 7.7 but then hit the buffers and in truth have been very average to poor over the last two years. Now looking for the MP59s.

I must in all truth say that i can think of no better iron than a forged Mizzie. I am rather wedded to Titleist for woods and have been so for years - if the MP650s had come out at the same time as i was looking, it may have been a different story.

As for wedges, i have vokeys and MPT11s - the former are far easier to spin and the latter are far more rewarding in feel terms - but only when striking the ball well.

Am I a bit of an equipment tart? well - not in terms of make of irons, but i do like to update irons quite regularly.

Always fun to buy new stuff.

Dutch

Warrior-jon

HCP
Too high
Local club/country
England
Irons
JPX800, 5-SW, nippon NS pro 1150 reg, MP-R12 52, 64 & Vokey 60
Driver
JPX825. 12 degree.
It probably started a few years ago at the BMW Championship, Wentworth. My wife and I were standing down the side of the 15th, when Luke hit his tee shot. We heard a cry of fore and ducked. Luke missed us by about 2 yards! He came over to find his ball and the first thing he said was "didn't kill anybody did I?". Since then he has been our favourite player.
Anyway last year my local pro suggested I should get some more modern clubs. (I had been using a set of MacGregor DX oversize irons that were about 15 years old). I did some research and came up with a shortlist of 4, Taylor Made, Ping, Callaway and Mizuno. Of the 4 TM were the favourites and virtually nothing was going to stop me from getting them.
After some more research the running order was TM burner 2.0, Mizuno MX200 and Ping G15s. I then read about the shaft optimiser, so I booked a fitting and boy did things change.
G15s easy to hit, small dispersion area, but not really any distance improvement over current irons.
TM burner 2.0, lived uo to its reputation as being long, but very inconsistant.
Mizuno had just brought out the JPX800 series, and within a few hits, this was the club for me.
Bought 5-SW, & Rider cart bag. Have been bought belts, hats, drinks bottle, towel and waterproof top. I also won 2 x MP R12 wedges in the fantasy league competition.

If Luke hadn't nearly hit us, I probably would have never considerd Mizuno as an option.

Thanks Luke.

1222tmiller

HCP
Local club/country
Northern Virginia - USA
Irons
Mizuno CLK 2-5, 6-PW JPX 900 Forged
Driver
RBZ 2 Driver, 3w
First set of clubs I used were my grandfathers, handed down to my dad. Ben Hogan blades.

In college I bought some Wilson irons and Hogan woods. I worked at the school's golf course during the summer along with half of the varsity golf team. Penn State had two golf courses, $50 student rate for the summer season for all the golf you could play. As a golf course employee, I got all the free range balls I could hit. The varsity golf team was more then willing to help me pick up the game.

A couple of years out of college, I decided to pick the game back up seriously. Found a good shop and picked up some Nicklaus clubs. Great intermediate clubs. It took me about 2 years to grow out of them. Went back to the same great dealer and he turned be on to the Mizuno MP-14. Back then they had a SW - 1 iron. I ended up getting the SW - 2 iron.

Now the standard clubs where SW - 3. The 2 iron was special order. It was back ordered for months. There are a couple of world class golf courses in Bethesda, MD, and there happened to be a pro tournament in town. My rep noticed a guy he knew on the Mizuno truck and asked how he was stocked for 2 irons. As it so happened he had plenty, and gave my rep one right off the pro truck! It even has a special casting marking on it.

I got very good. Generally about 7 over, but always went for it (I NEVER played conservatively :) ). Best round on a very difficult course, 1 under par.

Stopped playing for about 10 years. Picked up golf again about 10 months ago. Realized pretty quickly, that I just wasn't athletic enough for the MP-14 any more. Picked up my current MP-63. Also picked up some new drivers, realizing they might be temporary.

So I am now looking for my final items for my "new" bag: Driver, 3 Wood, and Hybrid.

What I am looking at:

Titleist 910, RBZ Tour, and MP-650.

Ash1974

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor Resort
Well thought I best add my story here, not a long one as I am just coming to the end of my 4th year as a golfer.

I played Ping Irons and Nike woods for the first 3 years I was a golfer, then I picked up a ex demo 6i MP32 in July 2010 and after hitting it I had to have a set of Mizuno irons.

So I got a set of MP52s in October 2010 and joined this forum Jan 2011.
I used the 52s until I got DNA fit @ the NFC for a set of MP53s in April 2011.

I then went onto buy the JPX Hybrid and later the JPX Driver towards the end of 2011.

Finally I switched from the 53s to JPX 800 Pro's in Jan 2012 and now have a full Mizuno bag (well bar the putter)

:)

Only change I am considering is getting the Aerolite WP for the winter months??

HCP
Local club/country
Netherlands
Irons
MP-53 5-PW DG-XP S300, H4 3i, TM R11 hyb-4, r12 50/54/60. Titleist 913 FW3 wood. Scotty Newport 2.5
Driver
Titleist 913F 9.5, Aldila RIP Stiff
Started to play golf two years ago. Got myself a MX-100s off the rack, pure price/performance thing. Really liked it. Felt good. Added the MX-700 3 wood and utility shortly after.

Within a year, decided to upgrade to the MX-200s. Got a good price on ebay for my old gear and moved on. I was looking for forged clubs and a way for not taking such big divots out of the fairway. I guess I was telling myself that was caused by clubs with too big of a head and the broad soles.

Played more or less weekly for a year, and now playing off hcp 20. At this point I was taking some lessons. My pro thought I was playing too soft shafts and I started to look around for stiff ones....

Which basically meant I could better buy new ones, right...?

Decided to get myself fitted. And recently ended up with MP-53s after a great session. Only tried them on the range so far. Feels great though.

Also got myself a jpx-800 fairwood 3 and a new 3 hybrid. Also got myself a Taylormade r11 driver (old demo) for a very good price.

Bottomline. I am set for 2012. And I do consider myself a Mizuno brand junkie.

Cheers. S

wally

HCP
Local club/country
Caldwell Golf Club
Irons
MIZUNO MX300
My story goes back to my days of following the famous Ayrshire killie, home or away. Then we would meet up for a quick pint before the game. Then it was 2, then 3, till it got I couldn't afford the day at football. Decided to try golf.

Bought a set of kilbbryde excelsiors for £25. Played them for a short while to get me into golf. Thought I wasn't too bad at it. 1 day a friend of a friend of a friend offered me a set of MIZUNO paragon's heads only, with a " don't ask any questions". I got another friend to shaft them and all In they cost me £250, in 1993.

I know that the paragon's would be classed at the cheaper end of the iron bracket, but they had the running bird on them and felt really good. I couldn't play woods too good and tee'd off with my 3 iron. I was so confident with that club that I smashed it as long as some of my mates but straighter!! That was me on the road.

My best mate joined my club and like darth vader turned me to the dark side. I went to pigs( ping i3's). So did my game. I was naive and had put the Paragon's on eBay. I was naive at that also and sold them for about £30 to a man from an island on the west of Scotland, I think. Wish I knew, I'd be pestering him for them back. However changed around my clubs regularly to find the holly grail of clubs, thinking I would find something that would inspire my golf. At last I decided to settle down, booked a fitting at MIZUNO Glasgow 2 years ago.

I couldn't afford the recommendation without getting Agro from her in doors, till 1 day scrolling through eBay at a quiet moment at work and found a set of 62's, black nickel, r300's. Brand new. Called the seller, traded my TM's and they were on route to me. I could hardly wait. By the way my fitting recommended 52's, PX5's. However whilst waiting on them arriving I turned to the MIZUNO web page to dream and came across this forum.

It took a while to realise the mistake that I made but in the end I got back to being a jedi and will not stray again. My clubs are not the longest but I will sacrifice that because nothing feels like a MIZUNO.

If anyone on here bought my paragon's, I want them back. If you have a set il buy them.

mizunotitleistfan

HCP
Local club/country
TheWonderfulWorldOfGolf
Irons
Mizuno T Zoid Pro's 3-PW and Mizuno MP-T11 56* wedge.
Driver
Titleist 905R 10.5* driver- shaft irrelevant
like a fairy story local pro near where I lived in Enguland told me a young lad had cancelled his order and would I like his clubs at cost, what are they I said, Mizuno blades said he, never heard of them, who's cancelled, Nicklaus he said, NOT JACK Nicklaus I said laughing, no Nicklaus fadlo apparently he wants Wilson as they're better known, ok I said and proceded to use them for the next 15 years, then went to Titleist blades as they were a thing of beauty about 20 years ago, came back to Mizuno when they started designing blades the way Titleist used to.
Still keep in toch with nicklaus thru twitter

Top Bottom