What do you think about the new wedge groove regulations?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Local club/country
UK
In 2010 the US PGA and PGA European Tour will bring in the new restrictions on wedge grooves. Is it a good idea to have different rules for the pros, or does it undermine the essence of the game?

Or maybe you're just confused / worried. Let us know.

HCP
Local club/country
Stapleford Abbotts GC, Brentwood
Irons
Mizuno MP62 51Deg, 56Deg 3-PW plus 60Deg Hippo
Driver
Tour Stiff Callaway FT5 9.5 Deg
Hi,

Personally I think it is a good thing. Pro Players are getting stronger and more athletic and get themselves out of most things including serious rough. With the current grooves they know they are not going to punished for an errant shot.

I think the new grooves will mean more thought process off the tee to make sure they stay on the fairways.

Also maybe not so much target golf. Not that this is ultimately bad as it can be good to watch, however it would also be nice to see some serious shot making and manoeuvring of the ball as it may not just bite as soon as it hits the green.

However I must say as it did in the Pro Tennis when they lowered teh compression of the tennis ball, technology will improve making the rule non existent in the end.

Regards !!

mattymp62

HCP
Local club/country
Cherwell Edge GC
Irons
MP-62
Can't say I agree with the rule to be honest, do the grooves really make for that much better scoring? Will average scores for tournaments increase by 5 - 10 shots? Probably not. It's that same as the driver rule from Jan 08, that really made a big difference didn't it? The R&A and USGA should just leave the equipment rules alone, golf costs enough as it is without having to change because of some pointless rule.

Ifonly

HCP
Local club/country
Avisford Park, West Sussex
Irons
MX-100 6 to SW, Ben Sayers 3 and 4 rescue, Feel 60 deg lob wedge
Driver
Ping G5, 10.5 Regular
At the end of the day I am fairly neutral on this for so long as any competition is played on a level playing field then everyone has the same opportunity. If this change is to give better seperation of players on skill as a measure fo accuracy rather than simply on distance then I'm all for it. After all, the spirit of the game is to hit fairways for a good second shot, not to simply blast it anywhere up there knowing the rough isn't a bad penalty! This should also provide better spectator sport.

However, if its simply to increase the number of strokes taken (which I doubt) then whats the point in this rule for a tour player should be hitting 15 to 20 under over 4 days compared to the club golfer....shouldn't they???? Particularly as their tees are ste much further back!

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
It seems to me like the new groove regulation is just another way for golf's governing bodies to avoid going after the ball...

In short, I don't like it.

Top Bottom