What do you think about PGA Tour season 2017?

Local club/country
indonesia, http://baligolfcourses.com/
Irons
Taylor Made Ghost Spider S Putter, TP 11
Driver
Mizuno JPX EZ 9.5#, Callaway FT 3W
What do you think about PGA Tour season 2017?

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Not much.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
Me neither.They make it too easy.Especially early season .Look at the stats for the 2 events in Hawaii.Driving it miles ,massive greens etc

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Every January, my thoughts turn to the Masters and I start to get excited about the upcoming season.

I watch a LOT of the Golf Channel, much of it the talk shows. What they are saying that has me thinking I'll really enjoy this coming season is, there are sooooooo many guys capable of winning.

There are so many background stories going on. Some stars are coming back, like Tiger, while some others are injured and I wonder when they will return, like Rory or Phil. There is a lot of interest in whether Jordan Spieth will retun to the top or be our frustrated hero again this year. Will Dustin Johnson return to play as well as last year and be the star so many thought he would be? Will the Nike players maintain their games with the new equipment they have chosen? Will Taylor made be sold?

All this, and tons more, will be the questions to be answered in coming weeks. And this doesn't even touch on the potential for the LPGA Tour this year with a Solheim Cup thrown into the mix.

Yeah, I'm excited to see the new season start...

Wizzle

HCP
Local club/country
http://parkstonegolfclub.com/
Irons
MP63 4-PW Project X 6.5 - MPT5 Black 50/54/60
Driver
Driver TM R11s Projext X 6 Tip Stiff / 3W Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 14.5
It all kicks off this week for me - Torrey Pines is a proper golf course, then Pebble Beach in a couple of weeks.

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
The Hawaiian islands courses are designed to be played with windy conditions. When the wind is down so is the defense of the course.
The So Cal desert courses offer the purest putting greens the players face all year, so scores are traditionally low there.
La Jolla's Torrey Pines complex of two courses is a very challenging test of golf. Long yardage  holes on flat terrain so Tour players hit longer clubs into the Torrey greens than they do at just about any other Tour stop.John Rohm put on a great show yesterday, shooting 65 to dominate the field.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
DGMP said:
The Hawaiian islands courses are designed to be played with windy conditions. When the wind is down so is the defense of the course.
The So Cal desert courses offer the purest putting greens the players face all year, so scores are traditionally low there.
La Jolla's Torrey Pines complex of two courses is a very challenging test of golf. Long yardage  holes on flat terrain so Tour players hit longer clubs into the Torrey greens than they do at just about any other Tour stop.John Rohm put on a great show yesterday, shooting 65 to dominate the field.
Agreed. There are some courses on the Florida coast that are designed to take advantage of high winds as a hazard during part of the year. They are well designed to be played shorter yardage when the winds are up and longer yardages when it's calm.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Not much in it for me either. I do follow it all the way up to the Masters but then our golf season starts around that time and I get my golf fix by playing or practicing.

I do watch The Players, the majors, Olympics, Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup and some ET events when I'm not playing but the PGA season almost ends with the Masters for me.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Halebopp said:
Not much in it for me either. I do follow it all the way up to the Masters but then our golf season starts around that time and I get my golf fix by playing or practicing.
Interesting... Since I could theoretically play every day of the year, I never thought of watching golf as something seasonal. Also, there are two other things relative to this.I'm retired, so when I get up in the morning, the Euro Tour is on and I watch that and later on when a tournament from the PGA or LPGA Tour comes on, I'm home to watch that. Lastly, I play golf on weekdays, so I watch a lot more on weekends than when I was working and the weekend was my time off. Then I would cram playing in the morning and watching in the afternoon into as much awake time as I could find.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
DennisMiller said:
Halebopp said:
Interesting... Since I could theoretically play every day of the year, I never thought of watching golf as something seasonal. Also, there are two other things relative to this.I'm retired, so when I get up in the morning, the Euro Tour is on and I watch that and later on when a tournament from the PGA or LPGA Tour comes on, I'm home to watch that. Lastly, I play golf on weekdays, so I watch a lot more on weekends than when I was working and the weekend was my time off. Then I would cram playing in the morning and watching in the afternoon into as much awake time as I could find.
I do think I'd watch more golf if I ordered the channels that broadcast them but then I'd have to pay separately for a package with the PGA and another package with the ET. Thus I'm sticking with Sky Sports streams online and the picture quality in them isn't really top notch, limiting the enjoyment of watching golf. On the other hand I enjoy the Sky broadcasts I wouldn't get over here (just the leaderboard every time there's a commercial break in the US) whereas Sky jumps back to the studio.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
That sounds sort of complicated.

Here, The Golf Channel represents nearly every professional tournament on the first 2 days and early play on the last two days before the broadcast goes over to broadcast television. If I just had an antenna, I'd just get those broadcast channels, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox Network.

With cable or in my case with satellite tv, I have to buy a somewhat higher level package of channels to get The Golf Channel. Without it, there would be no golf on tv except on weekends other than major tournaments.

That simply wouldn't be enough for me.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The last time I checked, if you wanted to see everything - all the majors, Ryder Cup, ET, PGA Tour, you needed three different channel packages. Even then I wasn't sure of LET and Solheim Cup.

I guess some people in the UK complain of the cost of Sky Sports but at least it's easy to pay for one package and get everything - golf, Formula 1, Premier League, Tennis Grand Slams and whatnot. We almost had such a situation maybe ten years ago but then some officials decided the one company was dominating the market by getting all the big sports (throw in NHL and Finnish hockey league, big things over here) and decided one company shouldn't hog them all.

I wish they had just ruled out exclusive broadcasting rights. :D

Top Bottom