What are your goals for the 2018 season?

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
This is just one of my annual winter ramblings but what are your goals for the 2018 season and what are you planning to do to achieve them?

Last season was a success for me, breaking 80 and making an eagle had been on my list for several years, I had made a couple of eagles along the way but last year I finally broke 80 and got the eagle too.

I began to wonder what my goal would be for this season and something like start playing rounds in the 70s regularly seemed a bit vague but breaking 75 might not be realistic. It hit me today that my aim should be at making the cut at the club championships. That certainly requires me to start playing better golf day in and day out so that I have a legit chance at making the cut even on a bad day.

There are three things I'm looking forward to changing. I had a group lesson with a different pro last autumn and he gave me some very good, fresh, advice about the swing and turning your body back and through, so that's one thing I'm working on now. He also talked about mobility and pointed out my shoulders have none. Thus I'm stretching with a purpose now to get club into the right spot in the backswing (further away from my back and get the right elbow pointing straight down).

The third thing is my putting. the counter-balanced project putter is waiting for a new grip and a shaft extensions to arrive but I've also changed the way I grip the putter. I used to grip it with my fingers, like irons but now I've moved to gripping it more in my palms and that has changed everything else. I have to say I've got to know the breaks in the hallway floor of my apartment quite well over the past weeks. :)

As for working as a rules official, I think my goal would be to work either in Jacques Leglise Trophy or the St. Andrews Trophy as they're both played in Finland this year. I don't think it was a pure coincidence I broke 80 for the first time just a couple of days after watching some of the top juniors in the country play for two days.

What are your goals and plans?

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
NotOhBoy said:
It’s the Bee Gees again for me. Stayin’ alive.
That is quite the prerequisite for playing golf and many other things. I hope you achieve your goal! :)

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
1. Get multiple entries on the club Honours Board 
2. Improve my short game even more
3. Get down to at least 4.4

zombie

HCP
Dunno
Local club/country
Craigmiller Park in Edinburgh
Irons
Need replaced
Driver
Working well
Play more golf with different folks on different courses
Continue to improve my driving
Improve my stroke play scores
Get leaner and fitter
Deliver an ace Northern Forum event with Celtic_Bil! 

No lessons for me
No competitive tournaments
No new gear 

:) 

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Well, I plan to try and play more golf this year, even if it is just 9 holes in an evening. Competition golf isn't really on the calendar  though, tested myself at the end of last season and it's just too much for me.  I've become involved with the running of our Junior section at the club again, a supporting role, but looking forward to trying to encourage the youngsters play the game once again.

Having broken 100 at Craigielaw last year and then broken 90 at the end of the summer on a family golf day, I'd like to set my target of breaking 85 for this year. It'll be hard work, but, if I can keep the putter hot and sharpen the short game up a little, then it should be possible.

Add the Forum weekend to that and the year is looking good already.

Mrs DCB takes the mick about my new slow swing and shortened long game. The big plus is that since I started playing again I've only lost 5 balls ....... I just don't hit them far enough to lose them nowadays ;)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Good luck, Brazz! That's rather ambitious, I hope you get on board!

Xombie, I'm also thinking about the "no new gear" bit. I shouldn't need anything but I have a feeling I'll end up buying something anyway. Experiencing different courses certainly is one of the best things about golf.

DCB, if you got from breaking 100 to breaking 90 again, the 85 should be right around the corner. :) Which tees are you playing now?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Halebopp said:
DCB, if you got from breaking 100 to breaking 90 again, the 85 should be right around the corner. :) Which tees are you playing now?
Generally off the Yellows nowadays. It's consistency that's needed. As long as I don't tire on the back nine I feel I can put a score together. A lot of that is being able to think what I used to be able to do and trying to play the percentage shot (s) and use my strokes. Main thing is I'm enjoying being back on the course ;)

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
I'm trying not to take things too serious, whilst still trying to be as competitive as ever.  So I feel just going out and enjoying the game is going to be a big goal for me this season.  Hopefully by doing this the good golf will come!

As for goals...
Getting handicap to 6 or less.
Also not buying any (or much) new gear, especially club wise.
Sharing Zombie's goal of ensuring the Forum event is a great weekend. 
And most importantly, losing a bit of weight by May to make sure the blue jacket fits ;)

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
To get a round in soon.Haven't played for over 7 weeks now

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
RobB2 said: