Wedges, which ones do you play?

HCP
Local club/country
tolcinasco
Irons
mizuno mp-54 4-pw
Driver
taylormade M2 9.5 Oban Gold
using mp t-5 at the moment but considering other brands.

which ones do you prefer?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
T5 same as you! - It's news to me that there are other brands of wedge available? - Are you sure?
Paul

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Yep MPT-5. Probably my favourite wedges have been Miura but they don't have the same milling on the clubface so I found better spin control with the Mizuno.

I've never liked Vokeys. Cleveland were ok and I would consider them again. Callaway I really hated for some reason, Ping and TM I've never gamed but they just look ugly so why bother? :)

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Bonobobananas said:
Yep MPT-5. Probably my favourite wedges have been Miura but they don't have the same milling on the clubface so I found better spin control with the Mizuno.

I've never liked Vokeys. Cleveland were ok and I would consider them again. Callaway I really hated for some reason, Ping and TM I've never gamed but they just look ugly so why bother? :)
I play a pair of MT5s - 52 and 56. I'll be honest though that I've never been as fond of these as the 54 Vokey they replaced. It could be an issue of having chosen the wrong shaft or bounce with these (or maybe my game slipped backwards), but it seems I get a higher percentage of low trajectory shots with my MT5s than I did the Vokey. The next set of wedges, I'll go through a full, open competition between Mizuno, Titleist, and Cleveland. I'll be honest though - my last testing I could barely tell the major brands apart. I don't find the same degree of difference in wedges that I do in longer irons. They're all pretty good.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
I play a 3 wedge set of Cleveland Precision Forged RTX 2.0. Have 50°, 54°, 58°. They are ridiculously soft on contact and make touch shots around the green very much easier. I also find on full shots that being forged, there is not much drop off in feel and performance with my 50° wedge compared to my MP25 PW.

I would definitely recommend them. I found them better performing than my MP T5s.

DGMP

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP63 3-PW
Driver
JPX-EZ
MP T-5 wedges, 52* and 58* lofts. My first Mizuno brand wedges and I enjoy playing them very much.
Compared to my previous wedges, which were Ping Tour followed by Vokey SM6, the Mizuno's have a much more forgiving sole design and pleasing impact sound.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
Started with original Cleveland 588 which were awesome,then progressed through the Cleveland .I think it was CG10 ,CG12 up to CG14.Then went Mizuno MPT10  and then another set of the same.Then tried Ping whatever they were.Then i tried a Callaway Mack Daddy 60 which i still use in the winter now,due to wider sole.Brought a full set of Cleveland Rotex 2.0,then got a 56 Vokey SM5 with a bit more bounce for the winter and have just started to build my new wedge set for the season with the purchase of a Mizuno  T7 50 in Blue which will be followed by a 54 and a 58 of the same.Don't think i missed any out?

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I've used Mizuno wedges for a fair while now. Started with the Tour Style wedges about 14 years ago. After that it was the R Series wedges, these were superb, suited my eye and my swing perfectly. Still got a set of R12s in the bag which again were superb. Not had to try the T series yet ;)

streuner

HCP
Local club/country
GCC Blumisberg
Irons
Mizuno MP18 MMC Project X LZ steel
Driver
Cobra F6+ Miyasaki jdl6 shaft
after 2 years of using MP-T5 I did switch to S5. 50 / 54 / 58
Nearly the same nice feeling but a bit more consistancy.
The Cleveland wedges I was unsing before are also nice, but the blue S5 are awesome.

LOS

Local club/country
England
At the moment I play T5 wedges.
Over the last few years I have played T4's, MPT 10's, a couple of Vokey's, Srixon WG504's and Srixon WG706'S. If Srixon had continued making and selling wedges in the UK I would never have gone to Vokey's.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
Currently play the T5s, whilst they perform OK an not a great fan of the look, much prefer the T7 and really miss my MPR 12 & MPR that I used to have.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
MP-T4 52* and 58*. The 58* is in need of a replacement though. I've owned W/S, Vokey and Mizuno wedges before and I was interested in the Callaway PM Grind 58* and even though the black version looks much better than the chrome one, I still struggle with its looks.

I almost bought a 59* W/S PMP wide-sole wedge with a KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff shaft a couple of weeks ago. A pro shop had one listed 40% off but when I contacted them, it was already gone. I do have to say the new Vokeys look good in black (and seem to wear well) but at their price point, I'll probably lean towards the T7 or the PMP. There's also an unused MP-T5 Raw on Golfbidder now. Who knows... :)

Andrew Carolan

HCP
Local club/country
Nuremore GC Carrickmacross Ireland
Irons
Titleist 716ap1
Driver
Titleist 917D3
Ive used both t5 and s5 prefer the s5 especially with blue heads

HCP
Local club/country
tolcinasco
Irons
mizuno mp-54 4-pw
Driver
I've ordered the cleveland rtx-3 and they will be arriving any day now. switching from the T5. will let you know how they feel

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I currently have T4 wedges in my bag. They have steel shafts and for the sake of gapping, work well with my EZ Forged irons.

When I play my graphite shafted 825 set, I have JPX wedges with it.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
marco said:
I've ordered the cleveland rtx-3 and they will be arriving any day now. switching from the T5. will let you know how they feel
Have you had these yet Marco? I play the precision forged version of the rtx 2.0 and they are superb. I tried the rtx-3 and the spin and control was fantastic, I just prefer forged though rather than cast so went with my choice instead.

HCP
Local club/country
tolcinasco
Irons
mizuno mp-54 4-pw
Driver
yes, i tried them for a couple of rounds now. i have the 50 & 54 mid bounce while the 58 is high bounce. i must say that the thing that stood out the most was the club just sliding under the turf instead of digging like my mp T5s did. i'm pretty sure the bounce is the same or maybe 1° difference. distance control is the same as the T5 as expected, just better turf interaction 

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
I agree. I had the T5's and the turf interaction with the cleveland's are a lot shallower and more of a slide rather than a cut. The front edge roll grind on the cleveland's obviously makes a massive difference.

Local club/country
Mass
Irons
MP 67's 3 - W : 52 & 58 MPR-12's
I got a pair of MP-R 12's for Xmas.
Got me a 52* & 58*.  Took a bit to get the 58 working out of the sand but it is dialed in and working very nice!
I have some Vokey, Cleveland and Ping wedges but these work well with their brothers in the bag.

Top Bottom