HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I have to be honest. The U.S. Open is never my favorite tournament. I've held the belief for many years that the USGA takes an already great golf course and tricks it up to the point that that way too much luck is brought into the winning equation.

Sandy Tatum is famous for his quote in 1974, when Winged Foot was in ridiculous condition, "We're not trying to humiliate the best players in the world," "We're simply trying to identify who they are." It was BS then and it's BS now.

I'll be interested to see whether they let LA Country Club be the course it can be, or whether they feel like the pros need to put between Mickey Mouse's legs on the 18th green.

All that said, it'll still be my excuse to plaster my butt on the couch in front of the television and refuse to do yard work.

As for picking someone to win, after his wonderful play last week, I'd love to see Tommy Fleetwood continue this week and seal the deal on his first major.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've heard there is a driveable par 3. Hole 11.
Lots of talk about a couple par 3 holes. One is supposed to play around 290 yards and looking at the topography, I have to say, it's ridiculous. If the land was flat, it would be one thing, but unless you carry the green and stop the ball, it falls off on 3 sides and there are deep bunkers.

The other hole will play between 80 to 90 yards and there seems to be some discussion about playing short of the green. I haven't seen photos of it, but apparently there's a lot of trouble and it's a very small green. I can't imagine any of the pros would look at an 80 yard hole and think they ight miss it with their lob wedge, so we'll see whether they actually come up with an effective strategy.

Play starts in a few hours, so with a bunch of bagels and some really nice mangoes, thanks to my next door neighbor, I'm prepared.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Nice to see Fowler and Schauffele set records today. I hate to admit, I fell asleep in the middle of it.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Loving it so far. Want Rory to win but Rickie would be a good second.

Money down on Homa and Koepka although Brooks has started like a numpty

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I hve to remember that word "numpty"... I think it'll be quite useful with certain golf buddies of mine.

I was hoping to see Rickie play well today, but he's seemed a bit fragile.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Great finish. The way Fleetwood attacked the final round is what Rory needs to do to win again. All this talk about being patient, that's not how you win the tournament. Great 2 putt on 18 for the win from Clark. That was holding his nerve.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
Yeah - Clark’s stats / performance were outstanding across the week > fair play to him > held it together well down the stretch and a deserved 1st major.
Rory - well I like Rory - but I can’t see him winning another, too many energy sapping activities outside of majors I think (e.g PGA spokesperson v LIV, being interviewed walking down a fairway in middle of the Masters - I ask - would Tiger have allowed those distractions - answer IMHO nope - and there lies the difference)….

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Tiger was laser focussed final round going out to post a score...Rory seems to be playing safe and I feel like his master's melt down has him scared of going after it in the final round. Was same at st Andrews. Fleetwood will have a major before Rory does..

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Every time I think so and so is done, or so and so will win a major soon, I'm proven wrong. Some of the pros should pay me to predict the future of their competition.

I've never been known for having much willpower, but you would all be proud of me this week. Somehow, I've avoided jumping into the arguments by people who say Clark didn't win it, but that Rory, Rickie and Tommy lost it. It's an argument with no foundation in fact. Clark, unknown as he may be, simply held it together and his stats for the week prove it. Yes, it's interesting that Rory shot the lowest score in history by a nonwinner, but second still means you lost.

I'd love to see Rickie continue his recent good play and break through to win again a few times, maybe even a major sooner than later. I'd also love to se Rory win. I feel both are good for the game, unlike some others who refuse to interact with the fans. There's so much more to golf than only what happens on the course they are a couple of the best at that part of the game.

In the meantime, Miami is getting thunderstorms practically every afternoon. It's not good for golf, but I've had some spectacular naps.

Top Bottom