Tour Players

cpc

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey
Irons
MP-67 2-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour (R), MP-R 56 degree, Bettinardi C-02
Driver
MX700, 10.5 degree, Aldila VS Proto - 65R, MX700 3 and 5 woods (Exsar FS4 R)
Unless I've missed it, no one seems to have brought up the example of Tiger Woods winning the 1997 Masters playing Mizuno irons (non-sponsored). It doesn't get much better than that.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news02/woods19.html

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
cpc said:
Unless I've missed it, no one seems to have brought up the example of Tiger Woods winning the 1997 Masters playing Mizuno irons (non-sponsored). It doesn't get much better than that.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news02/woods19.html
Yes - but what is he playing now? Lots of people know that Tiger used Mizuno equipment from a very early age, but how good would it be for the brand if he STILL used it??

cpc

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey
Irons
MP-67 2-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour (R), MP-R 56 degree, Bettinardi C-02
Driver
MX700, 10.5 degree, Aldila VS Proto - 65R, MX700 3 and 5 woods (Exsar FS4 R)
I think the real mark of a good club is that well-informed amateurs choose to play it. As an amateur, I have the freedom to choose the clubs I think are best, without having to compromise. Most professionals don't have that luxury, either because they need the sponsorship money or, for the top players, because there are deals on offer that are too good to refuse.

I really like the fact that Mizuno does not play the big name sponsorship game. They have proved that their reputation does not depend on the endorsement of the top players.

I think a lot of people, whatever clubs they play, see Mizuno as the keepers of the "true religion" when it comes to forged irons.

In the so-called game improvement category, I don't think people necessarily regard Mizuno's technology to be as good as that of Ping, Callaway, Taylormade etc. This is a shame, because there have recently been big comparative tests where the MX-200 (forged, but a "game improver") has come out on top.

This is where, perversely, a big name would possibly help. For example, lots of people may play Callaway because of Phil/Ernie or Nike because of Tiger, but they won't buy Tour Authentic Prototypes or the TW blades, they will buy a game improvement club. If Mizuno did have a major-winner endorsee, even it they played an MP iron, it would probably help sales of the MX-series clubs. The MX end of the market must be much bigger than the MP end, so it could be good business.

Deemac, I may have talked myself round to your point of view!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
cpc said:
Deemac, I may have talked myself round to your point of view!
I was just thinking that myself as I came close to the end of your post!

Have you ever considered a career in sales? :)

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
This is an interesting comment made by Wally Uihlein, CEO of Acushnet Company, which is comprised of the Titleist, FootJoy and Cobra Golf brands, during an exclusive interview in April.

His comments on sponsorship hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned...

"There is a big gap between the amateur and professional games. But the latter is an entertainment. Which is why we pitch our advertising the way we do.

We don’t have players saying, “I play this, you should too.” We’re not saying you should use our equipment just because the professionals do. But we want you to take note of the fact that so many do.

Now, that may make us a little anachronistic. But we take the view that their using Titleist is a pretty good endorsement of the quality of our products. Professionals don’t use stuff that isn’t going to make them play better.

Marketing approaches can go into one of two buckets: the “how many” or the “who?” Most companies employ a “who” strategy. We go the other way. They are different messages. “How many” is more subliminal and sophisticated."

I don't really think Mizuno have either "Who" or "How Many" at the moment!!

Top Bottom