Bozza

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno/MP62 Nickel
Driver
R11 9.5 Matrix
Why aren't there any tour players using Mizuno as the products are so good?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Yeah - 31 players of whom perhaps 2 are reasonably well known!

I asked this same question - I'm a HUGE Mizuno fan - but I wonder why more big names aren't playing Mizzy.

I realise that it is primarily to do with the way Mizuno runs its sponsorship programme, and it tries to keep the price of the clubs down by not offering HUGE sponsorship deals that we as the customer ultimately pay for...

All things considered - I'd still like to see a couple of big hitters on the staff list!!

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Hi Deemac,
You should be quite impressed tonight with Jonathan Byrd leading the Memorial at Muirfield. Not only is he a Mizuno player but he plays your beloved 32s. Here's hoping he can hold off the marauding Tiger !!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Tied 3rd in the end, but well done to him anyway - flying the flag for Mizuno.

Nice to see Luke in the top 20 (Tied 14th) he's got such a classy swing it's a CRIME that he doesn't win more!!

Not a Mizzy player, but I LOVE watching Paul Casey, dissapointing Tied 63rd for him.

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
Hey Dave and Deemac.

Byrd had a great showing at the Memorial...it's just too bad he couldn't quite close the door!

Unfortunately Deemac, Byrd has replaced his beloved 32s with MP-62s. He has been playing them this entire season and as we saw this week, hit his irons fantastic. In addition, he is playing an MX-700 3 wood and Hybrid!

Now if only he had that pesky Scotty out of his bag....

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I swapped mine for a Bettinardi - Now THAT's a Putter!!!

Dave Lyall

HCP
Local club/country
Kirriemuir Golf Club, Scotland
Irons
Mizuno MP30 3-Pw, Black Ox Wedges,52,54 & 56, Titleist 985 19 Stiff Hybrid,Cleveland Hi Bore 17 Stiff Hybrid
Driver
Titleist 909D2,9.5 Degree, Stiff Aldila Voodoo Shaft
Hi Guys,
Never been a Scotty man myself,always found them too heavy in the head, up till this season always been a Ping kind of guy.
However my kids gave me a Yes Valerie this year for my birthday and I love it. Lives up to it's reputation and does exactly what it says on the tin.Ideal on my home course and local links greens e.g.CARNOUSTIE as it does definitely give the ball a true and honest roll. It's certainly helped me get back down to 7.7 so far and hopefully it will help me get back down lower again. Very similar to the Bettinardi BC3 which I was contemplating buying. Sorry I feel I have been a traitor to Mizuno but if it's not broken don't try n fix it as they say !!

HCP
Local club/country
Mayfair Lakes
Irons
Mizuno/MP60/3-pw
Driver
Ping/G5/10.5
Hi all,

I agree that not enough big name players use Mizuno. If its a marketing strategy to keep costs down then it's back firing. Not only are Mizuno clubs some of the most expense on the market but the lack of tour players trusting these sticks is making me take a second look at the likes of Titliest/Taylormade and Callaway for my next set.
Why did J.J. Henry ditch his MP 60's for Callaway?

Don't get me wrong I like Mizuno, but then again I've never played anything else

Jim

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Hi jvasto

Please don't assume that because a player uses a certain brand of equipment it is just because they like it. There are significant financial rewards to use certain brands and a good question to ask is what they would all use if contract money didn't exist. Have a think about what some of the top players used before turning professional.

Regards, UTY

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
I myself would love to pay 4X the amount for my Mizuno equipment so some tour player can earn money.. NOT..

Anyone who doesn't play these products - well it's their loss.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I'm starting to get really worried about the whole Mizuno approach in Britain! I've been in 4 different golf retailers in Glasgow recently and have only seen 2 full sets of irons on display.

The clubs and other items are just NOT being stocked! When I've asked the retailers "where's all the Mizuno stuff", they reply "when Mizuno start making it attractive to stock and display their stuff - we'll stock and display it!"

Apparently the problem revolves around the custom fit programme, and how any old retailer can earn an uplift by sending them to the custom fit centre. This is discouraging retailers from stocking the clubs.

The whole custom fit move to World of Golf in Drumchapel in Glasgow has been another dissaster, and I hear the custom fit centre is moving back to Cumbernauld, where you hit into a net and can't see your actual shot.

Then there are the lack of stock issues, when you decide to buy a product, but there is no stock anywhere in Britain!

If this kind of service continues, I think we will have to start importing our Mizuno kit from Japan as that will be the only place that sells it soon!!!

What's going on Mizuno???

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
I don't understand how someone can say that Mizuno clubs DON'T look good whilst on display???!!!

How could you not like a gleaming new Mizuno stick?
Well they look a lot crisper and nicer when compared to the 'plastic' TM irons which are covered in stickers.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Just back from a couple of weeks holiday and was on the Mizuno site checking out the new gear.

Came accross a great video of Luke Donald's swing!

Anyway - to my point - now only 10 golfers listed under "Our Players" and of the 10 perhaps 3 are reasonably well known. The situation seems to be deteriorating week after week!!

Whilst I admire Mizuno's "principles" with regards to sponsorship, in my opinion those principles are just plain wrong!!

lofty

HCP
Local club/country
East Lothian
Irons
MP Fli-Hi 2 MX300 3-pw MP-T10 50/06,56/10 DGr300 1" long 4deg upright ,
Driver
Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5deg Aldila Rip reg Mizuno F-60 FS3 15deg stiff
Not fussy how many tour players use mizuno i buy them because i like them and play well with them and don't pay through the nose for them to pay somebody else's lavish lifestyle.

lofty

HCP
Local club/country
East Lothian
Irons
MP Fli-Hi 2 MX300 3-pw MP-T10 50/06,56/10 DGr300 1" long 4deg upright ,
Driver
Callaway Razr Hawk 10.5deg Aldila Rip reg Mizuno F-60 FS3 15deg stiff
forgot to add will be getting fitted for new set in next few months hopefully,macgregors only stop gap.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
lofty said:
Not fussy how many tour players use mizuno i buy them because i like them and play well with them and don't pay through the nose for them to pay somebody else's lavish lifestyle.
I understand your comments about paying for others lavish lifestyle, however what better way is there to raise awareness and profile???

HCP
Local club/country
Shirley Park. England
Irons
MP 57, CG 12's 52 / 58, Betti C 05
Driver
MX 700 10.5dg, T/M Hybrid,s 19, 22, 25dg
Hi guys

I agree with lofty. I don't want to pay twice as much for my superior forgings just so I can say I use the same clubs as a load of paid pros. I already know I'm useing the best irons available.

sjaclark

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Scotland
Irons
MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver
MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1
unbeatenthisyear said:
Hi jvasto

Please don't assume that because a player uses a certain brand of equipment it is just because they like it. There are significant financial rewards to use certain brands and a good question to ask is what they would all use if contract money didn't exist. Have a think about what some of the top players used before turning professional.

Regards, UTY
I agree and disagree with parts of this statement...

I agree with the point that contract money plays a part in what clubs a player plays but it is not the deciding factor. NO player would use clubs that he didnt like to some extent and then jeopardise the massive earning potential that is available on the tour through earnings alone. Aside from the very top guys on the tour these days, not many are getting significant financial reward to play a certain brand...

Also, I have to agree with what you say about what players used as amateurs before turning pro. However, with the way the top level amateur game is going now, many players are getting free equipment from companies such as Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway...I suppose this is a crafty way from these companies to get a bit of loyalty from a player before he turns pro, by giving him free gear before he does.

I know that Mizuno has been doing well as a company over the last couple of years but with the quality of their clubs they have the potential to be the biggest with some tweaking to their marketing campaigns and by getting more clubs into the hands of top amateurs who go on to get on the tour...you would find many more tour players using mizuno equipment.

Terry

HCP
Local club/country
Queensland
Irons
Lefty MP 60 ,5/pw,NS pro,950 gh reg , titleist 910 15,g30 18, g30 22,Tseries wedge. ,Ping Scottsdale
Driver
Jpx ez ,S xlr8,10.5 fade
Interesting comments sjaclark. I asked the trainee Pro at my club why he uses Titleist when the major brand in the proshop is TM and he could get them very cheap. He said that Titleist support the Trainee Pros in Aust. and he will repay kind with kind when he goes on tour
All the members who frequent the practice fairway see him using Titleist even though he could get TMs for the right price and I have no doubt a lot believe they must be pretty good if he is continuing to use them

Top Bottom