Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Re: Ex Nike players

hursty said:
Celtic_Bil said:
Seems a few of the ex Nike Guys are trialing Mizuno irons, but nearly all are bagging TM woods.  Performance or Cash?

I always thought £££££'s, but are they really the best woods out there?
I think the 900 driver will shake things up a bit and give them something else to consider.

Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero is also going to give them headaches
I'd love to believe that players use what they think is best for their game, be it distance, dispersion, control or whatever their strength/requirement is.

Hopefully this is the way they are going and the 900 and 'Epic' might find their way into more bags..

The name Epic puts me off a bit.  It sounds so moneysupermarket..

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

Sometimes names make uncomfortable feelings arise in different people. Cars we are all familiar with all over the world have different names in one country or another. There was an article I read many years ago that explained what we call some car models in America are actually dirty words in Japan or elsewhere.

Look at Taylormade's M1 driver. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember when an M1 was a French submarine based missile. There was a no name clone club maker who duplicated Nike's square headed driver and called it a V1, like the German missile used during WW2. If I lived in the UK, I'd probably be really hesitant to buy something called V1.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850

DennisMiller said:
Sometimes names make uncomfortable feelings arise in different people. Cars we are all familiar with all over the world have different names in one country or another. There was an article I read many years ago that explained what we call some car models in America are actually dirty words in Japan or elsewhere.

Look at Taylormade's M1 driver. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember when an M1 was a French submarine based missile. There was a no name clone club maker who duplicated Nike's square headed driver and called it a V1, like the German missile used during WW2. If I lived in the UK, I'd probably be really hesitant to buy something called V1.
Companies spend millions on marketing Dennis, just to come up with the right name or brand.  I remember when British Steel merged with the Dutch company Hoogovens to form Corus, they had to check it's meaning all over the world.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

No question about it. There was an example of an American car name, the Ford Falcon, that meant something dirty in Asia. All the same, I think the hard part for the marketing guys is how to balance getting a name that doesn't offend someone, but at the same time, find the name that helps sales for fitting so well the product at hand.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS

DennisMiller said:
No question about it. There was an example of an American car name, the Ford Falcon, that meant something dirty in Asia. All the same, I think the hard part for the marketing guys is how to balance getting a name that doesn't offend someone, but at the same time, find the name that helps sales for fitting so well the product at hand.
So my suggestion for TMs new driver the "Power Thruster Extreme" won't catch on then or offend anyone Dennis? :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

I wonder how many suggestions for club names we could get before they would all have the automatic censor spell them **** ****** ***?

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850

DennisMiller said:
I wonder how many suggestions for club names we could get before they would all have the automatic censor spell them **** ****** ***?
Haha,  I agree with those names totally...  :)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood

Look like the irons hooked a bigger fish from the Nike pond.

Attachments

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s

That's a great catch for Mizuno - BK is going to be a force in the game imho - That Ryder Cup fourball with him & DJ v Rory & Thomas Pieters was incredible ... Paul

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

Another one - Kevin Chappel.  This is going quite well.

Attachments

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

Imagine the impact it would make if they wore the Mizuno name and running bird somewhere on their clothes!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

This morning, as the PGA Merchandise Show opened, Tiger Woods announced he would be using Taylormade clubs. It was pretty well concluded before that he would use an M2 driver, but now he seems to have confirmed his use of the irons too.

I haven't heard whether his new irons are standard production models or whether they are a custom built set to duplicate his Nike muscle back blades.

At the risk of being crass, I wonder how much they are paying him. This is being promoted like he experimented with a ton of equipment and chose to play Taylormade. Maybe he did, but I can't help but wonder if he would have chosen them without a big payday?

I also have to wonder how Taylormade will advertise from this point forward. If they are smart, they might use Tiger as part of their restructuring plan and save the company from being sold. It's a stretch, but who knows? Maybe Tiger got points in the company.

An aside - On my bucket list, I want to attend a merchandise show. A pro friend was supposed to get me a credential this year, but I guess he conveniently forgot because he hasn't replied to my email for about a week. My bucket list is starting to look like a list of things I'll never get to do.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

Here's an article that just arrived in my email.

Link

(EDIT) I'm now hearing a report that Tiger still has his Nike irons in his bag and will work with Taylormade to produce a new model he will actually use. Nobody apparently knows exactly when he will actually have Taylormade irons in his bag.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

DennisMiller said:
Here's an article that just arrived in my email.

Link

(EDIT) I'm now hearing a report that Tiger still has his Nike irons in his bag and will work with Taylormade to produce a new model he will actually use. Nobody apparently knows exactly when he will actually have Taylormade irons in his bag.
According to WRX post earlier today.They will be working together to develop a custom set of irons and also fine tuning the grinds on his wedges.Might be a while before we see them though!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

RobB2 said:
According to WRX post earlier today.They will be working together to develop a custom set of irons and also fine tuning the grinds on his wedges.Might be a while before we see them though!
That's pretty much what they said on tv this morning.

One thing though, unlike the Callaway irons Rory is using, which aren't a currently running model and look to be a duplicate of his old Nike blades, they said on tv that Tiger wants to help design a new model Taylormade iron that will be available in the market, but they just don't know when.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

Very sad after all the hype that TIger signed to play clubs that don't exist yet.  How TM think golfers are so dumb that they'all believe he signed for the equipment is beyond me.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

MPX said:
Very sad after all the hype that TIger signed to play clubs that don't exist yet.  How TM think golfers are so dumb that they'all believe he signed for the equipment is beyond me.

$$$
I tend to agree, but the question in my mind is this. Can Taylormade make a profit based on sales of their clubs to the general population who want them based on nothing more than Tiger plays them? Can they overcome the cost of Tiger's endorsement and relative advertising it will cost to get the word out... LOOK - Tiger plays our clubs!!!

As a retired businessman, watching a company for sale continue in the market, I wonder if they could change their business model and use Tiger, Dustin Johnson and Jason Day as their advertising leads to turn their company around.

How long can Taylormade be for sale before it simply costs to much to maintain operations and reach the point it has to be shut down. There are TONS of Taylormade players on every tour. Imagine the flood if all of them looked for new equipment. It would make the Nike closure look like a dripping faucet.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g

Dennis,

The alternative view is that Nike now have Tiger, Rory and Jason Day in their clothing. Will they now target DJ from Adidas as well? They seem to pushing for clothing only contracts with a ton of top players. What I wonder is if they will now take a sizeable stake in TaylorMade.... They don't need to run the club side then, but could make a fair chunk of money from not having to deal with the club making / bags / balls / marketing etc. what they would have is a load of top players wearing their gear on course and using "their clubs", something they couldn't manage on their own.....

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

I'm just hearing an announcement on tv that Michelle Wie will be playing Callaway equipment.

Brattz - I think it's two very different issues. While I'm sure there are people who wear clothing that might match their brand of equipment, I don't think it's such a big influence like golfers wanting to play the same brand their favorite pro plays. For that matter, I know a few golfers who are so intent on playing what their favorite pro plays that they maintain their 20 handicap by playing the same muscle back blades as the pro.

Most golfers I know will wear clothing they like the looks of without regards to the logo. For that matter, as expensive as clothing has become, most people I know buy what's on sale.

Without the struggles of an equipment division, maybe Nike will target a few golfers, but I don't see them pulling away too many whose clothing also advertises their equipment. That's a pretty high dollar contract and Nike would have to spend a fortune with a player like Dustin. The ROI seems pretty fragile to me.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.

MPX said:

$$$$$$
The way Woods is playing at the Farmers Insurance thingy, he'll be able to spend all of Saturday and Sunday promoting the new TM products from an on course kiosk .....

Top Bottom