HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Re: Ex Nike players

Hopefully we'll see a bit more of this.  Already had Nick Watney spotted with JPX900 Tour some months back.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+

I'd be very surprised if just these two moved over. Would be good to get a regular contender on the rota.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.

Who's next?

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS

Vegas hits it a country mile, that would be an awesome launchpad to showcase the 900 driver.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+

hursty said:
Vegas hits it a country mile, that would be an awesome launchpad to showcase the 900 driver.
TM woods though, it'll just be the irons I'm guessing. But would be worth giving it a pop :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

Along the same lines as Nike, I wonder what will eventually happen to Taylormade. They've been for sale for a while and personally, I haven't heard a single rumor of anyone being interested in them.

Imagine the scramble if they go out of business.

In the meantime, I've heard their problem was caused by putting out new lines too frequently, but they seem to be maintaining the same marketing plan. That can't be healthy.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.

Difficult to predict. Ping have introduced a new "i" range and the new-ish Srixon clubs Z545 / 565 also look good. But who plays them?

Mcilroy hit some wonderful shots with his Callaway Apex MB in SAfrica, but he also hit some dross. Maybe not just the clubs after all.

I guess the also-rans will always take the money from TM etc, leaving the cream to choose what's best for them.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

OhBoy! said:
Mcilroy hit some wonderful shots with his Callaway Apex MB in SAfrica, but he also hit some dross. Maybe not just the clubs after all.
If you look at McIlroy's irons, they look exactly like his muscle back Nike irons. They are not a model available to the general public, not that is is anything we haven't seen in the past.

If I was involved in the marketing of a golf equipment company, I'd really try to have our tour pros play a club the fans could recognize.

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+

DennisMiller said:
OhBoy! said:
If you look at McIlroy's irons, they look exactly like his muscle back Nike irons. They are not a model available to the general public, not that is is anything we haven't seen in the past.

If I was involved in the marketing of a golf equipment company, I'd really try to have our tour pros play a club the fans could recognize.
He should be playing MP5 ;)

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

DennisMiller said:
OhBoy! said:

McIiroy cleary stated last week that "they(Callaway) made me a special set of irons and they are in the bag this week.As for next week i don't know. He was in Dubai on the range the previous week and said "every OEM had sent him equipment to try.He was like a kid in a sweet shop".Doesn't sound like he settled on a permanent set up as yet

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

From Jordan Smith's Instagram.

Attachments

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

RobB2 said:
McIiroy cleary stated last week that "they(Callaway) made me a special set of irons and they are in the bag this week.As for next week i don't know. He was in Dubai on the range the previous week and said "every OEM had sent him equipment to try.He was like a kid in a sweet shop".Doesn't sound like he settled on a permanent set up as yet
I haven't been able to watch any golf on tv for the past couple weeks, so I never heard that. I wonder how many of the tour players are playing some custom set not available to us?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

On Twitter today.

Attachments

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver

Good work, always liked Ross Fisher.

Just need to get him to game the 900 woods as well :)

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850

Seems a few of the ex Nike Guys are trialing Mizuno irons, but nearly all are bagging TM woods.  Performance or Cash?

I always thought £££££'s, but are they really the best woods out there?

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver

Celtic_Bil said:
Seems a few of the ex Nike Guys are trialing Mizuno irons, but nearly all are bagging TM woods.  Performance or Cash?

I always thought £££££'s, but are they really the best woods out there?
I think the 900 driver will shake things up a bit and give them something else to consider.

Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero is also going to give them headaches

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

For a company who caused its financial problems by putting out new products too frequently, to the point that they have to be sold, Taylormade doesn't seem to have changed the way they work. They seem to be pursuing more and more players and introducing new drivers every 6 months. I don't get it.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver

DennisMiller said:
For a company who caused its financial problems by putting out new products too frequently, to the point that they have to be sold, Taylormade doesn't seem to have changed the way they work. They seem to be pursuing more and more players and introducing new drivers every 6 months. I don't get it.
I think that the new M1/M2 may have been in the pipeline before the issues surfaced hence them going ahead with the launch.

Will be interesting to see if they continue this way with product launches.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180

Hi Paul - You may be right, but the level of advertising here, whether in the monthly magazines or on tv during tournaments is still a much more frequent level than any other company. In the magazines, Taylormade still has the front inside cover, usually a fold out spread across 3 pages plus the opposite side of the folded page.

Those are the most expensive ad spaces in any mag and as long as Taylormade has been in trouble, they could have modified or gotten out of those ad contracts.

It just seems so odd, as if they aren't doing anything to try to save the company or make it more attractive to a buyer for its position in the market.

Can you imagine how much fun it would be if Taylormade can't be sold? At some point, they will have to reorganize under bankruptcy laws or like Nike, simply stop making equipment. I wonder how many tour pros that would turn loose to look for new equipment?

Secondary to that, I wonder if there are small companies like PXG waiting in the wings to bloom into a bigger market? I don't think I've heard of anyone else making professional quality clubs.

Imagine a market with the brands people can actually afford being limited to so few companies... Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, Wilson Staff, Ping, Cleveland, Adams, and of course, Mizuno. I don't see PXG or Honma as reasonable alternatives considering their high costs.

Who else is there?

Top Bottom