Thinking of reshafting mp32's? Need advise

cfm

Local club/country
canada
Irons
mizuno mp32
Driver
mizuno mx700
Hi to all, for I just joined, and have a question to ask, trying out some mp32's with dg r300 I picked up after the holidays and I don't want to change them. Last week I got my dna 72 4 4 4 5 and was recommended the JPX 825 with dynalite xp r300.
I hit the mp32 6 iron high and 155 yards carry at the golf coarse, using my gps. During the fitting, the results were similar with the recommended club. These are two very opposite type clubs and and shafts. If I were to experiment and change the shaft in the mp32 to the dynalite xp r300, would that fly my ball even higher and loose distance? Thank you for any advise, cfm.

ChrisP

Local club/country
Hawarden
Hi cfm and a warm welcome.

There are better shaft experts here than me but yes the XP R300 would launch higher than the DG R300.  The XP is also lighter as a shaft.  So if swapping in the MP32's this won't bring your ball flight down, that could be the user :) (like me, I hit quite an early (release 7) flight ball).

Up to you really but it might be worth changing out when you get new clubs as a set?

Simon

HCP
Local club/country
Haggin Oaks
Hi CFM,
For the most part, if all else equal, it will go higher and possibly lose a few yards.  Nothing major. 

But you should take into account that your MP32 6 iron has a loft of  31, and the JPX 6 iron is 28, almost like your 5 iron.  So I'm not too surprised they have given you similar results since the lower loft of the JPX works well with the higher flight from the Dynalites.  But putting them in your MP32, they may be too high since you said you already them high with your current set.  You may lose a little more carry and roll than you would like.     

Other factors to consider is the swing weight and overall club weight, will be a tad lighter with Dynalites.  Only you and your swing can decide if that will help or not help your ball striking consistency.  

dong galang

HCP
11.2 index
Local club/country
navy golf club / philippines
Irons
tm rescue 3, adams 4hybrid, mp-52 5iron, 6,7 mp63, 8-pw fourteen tb1000
Driver
09 tm burner, tm v steel 3w, callaway diablo 5w
i have exactly the same set up with my mp32, dg r300 with gp tour velvet grips. in my case it came out with a swing weight of d4 on the 5iron then progresses to d6 in the pw. quite heavy for me. i use my heavy mp32's and bring them to the driving range when i feel that my swing is getting handsy.

i get a high ball flight also with this current set up, but if i'm going to game them maybe i'l stick it with kbs tour stiff, bend the lofts two degrees stronger and find a way to bring the swing weight of the 5iron down to d2, to pw d4.

i think if you put a lighter shaft, in your example dynalites, the swing weight will get heavier, that has pro's and cons. that might change the feel of the club while your swinging it.

if your not happy with the dg r300, i think the dynalite r300 is not much different. a lot of people i know are happy with kbs, me, personally i use px5.5's. but maybe in the case of the 32's i would try kbs stiff.

good luck mate.

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff
You have several factors in play here. Club weight affecting your own release, shaft bend points affecting the head release, club head COG affecting the launch and spin rates, just for a start. Its a little unusual to see a bladed iron with a regular shaft. Blades are known for their lower penetrating ball flights which usually take decent head speeds to get the most out of them. Who ever had them made, needed that shaft to get the ball in the air and might also have had a forward press at impact making the problem worse. This is why fitting is so important. No one can say, Im this shaft and use it in every club they buy from now on. COG and lofts play a huge role in your ball flight, so having the right shaft in the right club makes all the difference. Having a discontinued set of irons makes it very difficult to test shafts to find the one for you..

HCP
Local club/country
Longniddry
Irons
Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 2-PW Rifle 6.0 MP-R Series 52° & 58° X100
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track 8.5° Proforce Axiv Core Tour Red 69S MP Titanium 15° Grafalloy Blue S
True Temper shafts spin too much, unless you lash out and get a set of the tour spec DG's for 240 quid.

Also, lighter shaft usually means higher flight, unless you really amp up the flex (from an R to an X). That is a generalisation of course, dont everyone jump on me at once for that one.

If you want lower flight, try Project X or standard Rifle. I have huge problems with spin and I have used Rifle shafts now for about 5 years and also find that UST Proforce shafts keep the spin down as well. They are quite boardy, but I dont mind that.

None of this is directed at the thread starter, but to be honest, if you are using a clubhead like the 32's you should be on an S300 at least anyway. If you need help from the shaft then why go with a blade? Buy the JPX in a stiffer flex.

Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isnt coming down.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
T-Zoider said:
True Temper shafts spin too much, unless you lash out and get a set of the tour spec DG's for 240 quid.

Also, lighter shaft usually means higher flight, unless you really amp up the flex (from an R to an X). That is a generalisation of course, dont everyone jump on me at once for that one.

If you want lower flight, try Project X or standard Rifle. I have huge problems with spin and I have used Rifle shafts now for about 5 years and also find that UST Proforce shafts keep the spin down as well. They are quite boardy, but I dont mind that.
I don't want to seem like I'm rubbishing your advice, as you sound like you know your stuff, but feel it may be a tad misleading. It might very well be the case FOR YOU, but other swings will get different spin numbers from different shafts. The DG shafts are generally regarded as low launch / lowish spin. Standard Rifle are no longer produced I don't think.

I tend to get highish launch and medium spin with the PX

HCP
Local club/country
Longniddry
Irons
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 Fast Track 8.5° Proforce Axiv Core Tour Red 69S MP Titanium 15° Grafalloy Blue S
BigPete said:
T-Zoider said:

I don't want to seem like I'm rubbishing your advice, as you sound like you know your stuff, but feel it may be a tad misleading. It might very well be the case FOR YOU, but other swings will get different spin numbers from different shafts. The DG shafts are generally regarded as low launch / lowish spin. Standard Rifle are no longer produced I don't think.

I tend to get highish launch and medium spin with the PX
No no, not at all. I accept that results differ between users for every component. My experience with DG's is that most guys that I have spoken to mention that they can be a bit "floaty". I think even TT admit they are "mid" spin though.

PX's are a bit higher launching than standard rifles. The satin finish are the best but hard to find in good condition. You can still get sets of original rifles off fleabay in decent condition. I also found Nippon NS Pro 1050's quite good for keeping spin down. I tried them on a set of Copper Ping Eye 2's which spin hard and they kept that spin under control.

lessel

Local club/country
Woburn
Irons
MP20 HMB 4-PW, woods ST180
Driver
GT180 Tensei blue 60 stiff
T-Zoider said:
Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isn't coming down.
I would disagree with you on this.  I started with blades in 1965 and am still using them, although my previous MP33 had S300 I now have MP68 XP R300.  I have tried other club heads recently and they don't suit me any better, there is nothing amiss with distance and flight with these clubs.

HCP
Local club/country
Longniddry
Irons
Driver
lessel said:
T-Zoider said:
Blades should come with X100's/6.5's as standard and the lowest you should be allowed to go is an S400/6.0, if you cant handle that shaft you shouldn't be fooling with blades. If you are it's a vanity project at best and you clearly don't really care about improving, just looking good for those half dozen swings round you make that do the clubs justice. If golf is just exercise and banter with your mates and that's all you want, great, but don't complain that your handicap isn't coming down.
I would disagree with you on this.  I started with blades in 1965 and am still using them, although my previous MP33 had S300 I now have MP68 XP R300.  I have tried other club heads recently and they don't suit me any better, there is nothing amiss with distance and flight with these clubs.
Well, without knowing your age and handicap I can't really comment on your personal situation, but my dad is 64 plays off 13 has been as low as 7 and can still use a blade since he used them until he was in his 40's anyway. He uses AP2's now and I put a set of Nippon NS-Pro 950 Stiff shafts in them for him, which is quite a tight, but midweight shaft just to give him a little extra help on those days when the bones creak a little louder, but he still gets the consistency and control advantages of the semi blade head.

In fairness, that statement before was a bit tongue in cheek anyway! I had a set of Titleist 680 blades and they had 6.0's on them and they were almost on the edge of too hard, so they would probably have been quite nice with a set of S300 or even R400's on them.

I just dont see the point of a 15 handicapper bothering with blades if they need a regular shaft. If they went with cavity backed head they might find they could play a stiff shaft and gain a little bit of consistency without sacrificing distance or carry. As I say, I dont care what anyone plays with unless they have a set of Daiwa DG-201's in the bag (basically a TP-11 with an even smaller head) and never stop complaining that their game isn't getting any better.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
This original post was from a guy who posted once last April. he may be still checking the Forum, who knows?

cfm

Local club/country
canada
Irons
mizuno mp32
Driver
mizuno mx700
I would like to thank every one who showed interest in my post. I played all year with them, I didn't reshaft, they are great as is, don't plan on changing a thing as suggested by a few. I always check in the forum Pete, loyal to Mizuno. As I'm a leftie very happy to see there is a new driver for me, who knows maybe it will be replacing my mx700.

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
cfm said:
I would like to thank every one who showed interest in my post. I played all year with them, I didn't reshaft, they are great as is, don't plan on changing a thing as suggested by a few. I always check in the forum Pete, loyal to Mizuno. As I'm a leftie very happy to see there is a new driver for me, who knows maybe it will be replacing my mx700.
Nice to hear from you again :)

WDH

Local club/country
Highgate, London
Irons
Mizuno / MP32 / 3-PW
Driver
Mizuno / MP600 / 10.5 / Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 S
Hello to all - I just joined too. Interesting post as that is exactly what I did last summer. My mp32s came with heavy and too-stiff TT DG300S shafts which was making these beautiful irons play like crowbars in my hands (I have a medium swing speed). I had the 3-pw re-shafted with TT XP95s and haven't looked back! Much improved club head speed, higher flight and an extra 1-1.5 club in length. Much happier bunny now!

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP32 3-PW with Nippon V90s
Driver
Cobra F6+ with UST Mamiya Chrome Elements F4
Just stumbled onto this old thread.  This year I played a set of MP32s reshafted with nippon V90s.  Not a bad match.  Probably one of their Modus shafts would be even better--a lower launching one.

Top Bottom