Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I didn't see a thread yet but I'm excited - to me it's right up there with the Masters, the Open, the U.S. Open and the Ryder Cup (The PGA Championships has never really got me really going).

To me it seems like Stacy and Nicole are the only Mizuno staffers but at least the Japanese most probably have Mizuno clothing.

As for all the no-shows, I have a gut feeling a fair share of them will actually be sorry they didn't go. It's a special event like no other in the sporting world and a chance to leave your name in the history books. Also, pretty much everyone who is there seems to be very excited about the whole thing. I just saw Mikko Ilonen's interview and he already said he's hoping he'll make it to Tokyo in 2020 even though they haven't even started playing yet.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Nope, golf should never have been included in  the Olympics.

I'll have a look if it's on tv, but, not overly interested in it.

Now, the beach volleyball, that's  different ;)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
DCB said:
Nope, golf should never have been included in  the Olympics.

I'll have a look if it's on tv, but, not overly interested in it.

Now, the beach volleyball, that's  different ;)
I'm with the big man here, apart from the beach volleyball which is a bit tame compared to the diving :eek:
The powers that be should have insisted the golf was for amateur golfers not the paid ranks imho 
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Was anyone else disappointed Men's Double Trap wasn't about two teenage girls? :D

I do agree with Paul, diving is the number one sport if you're not exactly into the sporting events as such...

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
The Diving season starts this weekend doesn't it....     :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've been watching the golf all morning. I wish they had the gadget that shows the player's ball in the air, the red line that shows trajectory. I get the feeling they don't have as many cameras on the course as the typical PGA event. I find it hard on tv to understand where the course is when I see it from behind the tee.

All the same, it's been pretty interesting to see so many different countries on the leaderboard.

Maybe living in Miami has made me a bit blah over seeing more and more girls in bathing suits, but the game I found interesting was handball. I don't know if we play that here in the States. What I knew as handball growing up was more like squash, but you hit the ball with the palm of your hand.

Instead, this was like a small indoor soccer field and the players carried or passed the ball with their hands. It was fast and didn't look too difficult to score, so games were close and interesting. I don't think I'd ever seen it before.

My wife, on the other hand, is overly excited about the gymnastics. It's interesting, but I have way too much to do to watch everything.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Handball is quite popular on this side of the pond, not "the number one" sport but well known. From what I know it is actually a very tough game, they tackle and wrestle for the ball for real and tend to do dirty tricks. I've heard coaches from other sports make their players play handball against handball players to teach them discipline. Not to get distracted by cheap shots, keeping their cool etc.

Also, in accordance with the questionable tones in this thread, the game is most popular amongst the Swedish-speaking population of Finland. The common (childish) joke is that all Swedish men (which includes Swedish-speaking Finns) are g-a-y. What makes things more unfortunate for the sport is the fact that the top two teams are named D-i-c-k-e-n (founded in 1933) and C-o-c-k-s (1966).

I always enjoy watching sports like archery and other shooting events (especially the match play aspect interests me) and some other sports that aren't usually shown on TV. Horseback riding is also one, especially the cross country event. It looks like it really is dangerous.

As for the Miami comment, the summer has been dreadful over here and a couple of days ago I got this feeling that I need to move back to Australia. I really started to miss the warmth, the beaches, the ocean...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Your comment about other coaches sending their players to play handball brought back a funny memory. My son was Captain of the Louisiana State University Rugby team when he went to college there. One day the LSU football coach got upset with some of his 300 lb linemen he felt weren't making enough effort in practice and he sent them to rugby practice and make them try to keep up with the rugby players, just running up and down the sidelines as long as the rugby players were moving.

He nearly killed his football players that day, but they learned their lesson.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Halebopp said:
Handball is quite popular on this side of the pond, not "the number one" sport but well known. From what I know it is actually a very tough game, they tackle and wrestle for the ball for real and tend to do dirty tricks. I've heard coaches from other sports make their players play handball against handball players to teach them discipline. Not to get distracted by cheap shots, keeping their cool etc.

Also, in accordance with the questionable tones in this thread, the game is most popular amongst the Swedish-speaking population of Finland. The common (childish) joke is that all Swedish men (which includes Swedish-speaking Finns) are ****. What makes things more unfortunate for the sport is the fact that the top two teams are named ***** (founded in 1933) and ***** (1966).

I always enjoy watching sports like archery and other shooting events (especially the match play aspect interests me) and some other sports that aren't usually shown on TV. Horseback riding is also one, especially the cross country event. It looks like it really is dangerous.

As for the Miami comment, the summer has been dreadful over here and a couple of days ago I got this feeling that I need to move back to Australia. I really started to miss the warmth, the beaches, the ocean...
I feel that your post maybe lacks a little punch by not knowing the words behind ****, ***** and ***** :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
OhBoy! said:
I feel that your post maybe lacks a little punch by not knowing the words behind ****, ***** and ***** :)
Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed it for you! :D

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
I'm all for beach volleyball as long as the contestants are not from one of those backwards countries that make them cover up all their flesh :D

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I'm enjoying this Sunday very much. Two very good players going at it with Kuuuuch trying to catch up. Too bad both Finns are out of the running even though Ilonen was tied 4th after his first hole today.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Good congratulations to Rose! Truly a deserving winner in my opinion. :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
What a great finish! I really like all 3 players just in general and I'll even give Rose credit for his great play, even though he's part of the Taylormade Evil Empire.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I didn't want to like this but I watched quite a bit yesterday & the last round today was a great finish - Well done Rosey!
I wonder what the stars who pulled out are thinking now?
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
PaulBoy said:
I didn't want to like this but I watched quite a bit yesterday & the last round today was a great finish - Well done Rosey!
I wonder what the stars who pulled out are thinking now?
Paul
We have a convert! :D

At least Spieth tweeted it's his goal to represent the U.S. in Tokyo.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
I'm watching the women's golf today. Maybe just me, but the two BBC commentators are just hopeless, getting names wrong, not keeping up with the game at all, and adding very little useful information to what is otherwise quite an entertaining competition.

eddzoid

HCP
Local club/country
Swaffhamgc.co.uk
Irons
JPX919 HOT METAL 5-PW , S5 54/58 WEDGES, LINE90 #2 PUTTER
Driver
JPX900
Nicole Brochure Larsen is up at the top of the leaderboard...... therefore Mizuno is at the top of the leaderboard!! :up:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
RobCH said:
I'm watching the women's golf today. Maybe just me, but the two BBC commentators are just hopeless, getting names wrong, not keeping up with the game at all, and adding very little useful information to what is otherwise quite an entertaining competition.
I noticed this during the mens golf - Don't know which barrel they scraped to find their commentators but they are just hopeless - Paul McGinley was just in the commentary box & spoke more sense in half an hour than these idiots have contributed in the whole day
Paul

Top Bottom