HCP
Local club/country
Aeroe Golf Klub (Denmark)
Irons
Mizuno MX-200 5-PW
Driver
TaylorMade R11 S 11.5 - regular.
Hi,

I need to buy a stand bag for use during the winter. I never had or used one before so it's all new to me.

I tend to carry lots of stuff in my bag and I guess that won't change a lot.

I'm more or less down to looking at the Mizuno Twister and the Sun Mountain H2NO.

But which one should I choose? I like that fact that the SM is "waterproof" but how much more proof is it than the Twister?

Henrik

Local club/country
Northern California
Well, if you followed the Ryder Cup, you saw how well the Americans' Sun Mountain rainsuits worked -- that should give you pause :). Sorry, just had to bring it up.

I'd be more concerned with your comment that you put "a lot" of stuff in your bag. My experience is that most stand bags are not meant to be weighed down with a lot of heavy items. With too much weight the stand mechanism will have a short life.

Of course it depends on your idea of a lot of stuff. I'm not talking about a problem with a set of clubs, some balls, raingear, and a bottle of water. That will be fine. But if you need to take 12+ balls, multiple layers of clothes, lunch, and 6 beverages with you, you may be better off with a cart/trolley bag.

Robbo016

HCP
Local club/country
Saunton / Puckrup Hall GC
Irons
MP64's 3-5 MP5 6-Pw +0.5" 2 degs up Tour Modus 105 S Scotty SM9Wedges 50, 54 & 60 Scotty putter 3-3-3-5
Driver
Taylormade Stealth 2+ Fujikura Ventus S-75
GammaHenrik said:
Hi,

I need to buy a stand bag for use during the winter. I never had or used one before so it's all new to me.

I tend to carry lots of stuff in my bag and I guess that won't change a lot.

I'm more or less down to looking at the Mizuno Twister and the Sun Mountain H2NO.

But which one should I choose? I like that fact that the SM is "waterproof" but how much more proof is it than the Twister?

Henrik
Hi = I have the Sun Mountain H2NO carry bag, am for what is worth I am very pleased with it. I have been out in the rain and it does keep your keep dry on the pockets - you have to accept that your clubs will get wet during the round (just by using them) but the rest is good. It is lightweight, has a good stand and lots of capacity. I looked at several bags but went back to Sun Mountain as they really do make very very good carry bags. I would use them again, when this one dies' but that's a lot time away.
I also have the Tour Cart bag and use the carry bag in winter and summer evenings if I'm playing just a few holes. I would recommend it.
Hope this helps.

Logie

HCP
Local club/country
Fleetwood GC/UK http://www.fleetwoodgolf.co.uk/
Irons
Mizuno MP Fli H4 3 & 4 Irons; MP64 5 - PW irons; MP T-10 52 & 58 deg wedges all with NS Pro 1150 G stiff shafts: MP650 22 degree hybrid regular Orochi shaft.
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 degrees: Fujikura Motore Speeder VC6.3 Stiff.
I have 2 Sun Mountain bags, one is a fairly old carry bag and the other a little more recent cart bag that fits nicely on my Sun Mountain trolley.

I have found both bags very well designed and manufactured. They have also taken a lot of hammer without any problem.

In winter (when I am in the UK anyway) I always wear my waterproofs from the off so I don't really have to worry about lots of large pockets.

In mitigation of their rain wear, according to Golfers Digest, the waterproofs worn by the US team did not actually leak through the fabric, but it was the rain running down the necks and up the sleeves that was the problem. (In heavy rain and wind I have had this same problem with my Galvin Greens). In my opinion the design and fit of the waterproofs was too baggy and hence poorly fitting. Apparently the design of the waterproofs was overseen by Corey Pavin's wife, which if true, may have been the primary cause of the poor performance.

In my opinion Sun Mountain make some of the best carry bags available and I have not hesitation recommending them.

By the way Sun Mountain are credited with leading the way in developing the light weight stand bags. They also feature every year in the Golfers Digest Hot List.

billsykes

HCP
Local club/country
Billingham/England
Irons
MP68 Black Nickel 4-PW, KBS Tour stiff. 17* & 23* MP CLK 52* & 58* MP T10 Wedges MP T102 Putter
Driver
Titleist 910 D2 8.5 Project X stiff
Just to give some balance, I have a Twister and will be keeping it until it dies. The Kabuki organiser is ok, i.e. as good as any I've seen but clubs still tangle occasionally. The main pocket could be a tad bigger but in general the storage is good. The stand system is one of the best I have encounted, the bag is stable and the system operates smoothly every time.
One of the best features is the stability of the bag on a trolley (cart); I can fit my gear including my GoKart trolley and one bag into my locker, as I alternate between carrying and trolleying (a new word)this bag meets all of my needs.
Finally, waterproofing. I've found the Twister to be excellent at resisting water penetration especially when it has been used as a cart bag in heavy rain, I've always managed to keep the essentials dry without too much effort.
Hope this helps.

Top Bottom