Stack and Tilt anyone?

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
I know this might seem better suited to a general golf forum site, but I'm hoping for considered responses from informed players whose opinions can be trusted, rather than outlandish claims by people who think they know it all.

I'm seeking your views because, after years of struggling with enormous inconsistency, I'm thinking of giving it a go. I'll admit that I thought it was a gimmick and was for golfers who were just desperate... well I'm desperate, so I would appreciate your honest views and experiences of it please - positive or negative, it's all good.

Thanks,

Hacker McShankface

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Although not exactly stack and tilt, I had a lesson with one of our pros about gaining more consistency in ball striking. What she told me to do was intriguing at first to say the least, but i'll tell you what she was spot on.

1. She said to take your feet position just slightly wider than shoulder width
2. Then to move your right foot so that your toes point straight forward, not flared out to the right
3. Then rotate your left foot so that your toes point at 60°-70° left of straight forward
4. Make sure the ball is directly under your left eye (slightly forward of centre)
5. The club should sit straight on the ground, no toe up, this brings you closer to the ball and more upright

This was the weird bit......
6. Then push your thighs outwards so that it feels as though you have tension on the outside of your thigh muscles....
This apparently pushes your feet into the ground and stabilises your base better!
7. Start the backswing by taking the club away with the left tricep (outside of arm), this moves weight naturally.

This puts you in a semi stack and tilt position at the top of the back swing and definitely delivers the club down on plane! I couldn't believe the difference in consistency. My bad one now is if I either slightly get too steep on it or if I don't move the weight across on the downswing early enough and come a little heavy on it, this is not often at all though.

Give it a go.

OhBoy!

HCP
Local club/country
Soft. South. Suburbia.
Irons
MP 53 5-PW Phoenix. Titleist SM6 50/54/58 deg.; Ray Cook SR 500
Driver
JPX 900 driver & 3 wood; CLK 19 & 22 deg.
Brattz said:
Although not exactly stack and tilt, I had a lesson with one of our pros about gaining more consistency in ball striking. What she told me to do was intriguing at first to say the least, but i'll tell you what she was spot on.

2. Then to move your right foot so that your toes point straight forward, not flared out to the right
3. Then rotate your left foot so that your toes point at 60°-70° left of straight forward
4. Make sure the ball is directly under your left eye (slightly forward of centre)
5. The club should sit straight on the ground, no toe up, this brings you closer to the ball and more upright

6. Then push your thighs outwards so that it feels as though you have tension on the outside of your thigh muscles....
This apparently pushes your feet into the ground and stabilises your base better!
7. Start the backswing by taking the club away with the left tricep (outside of arm), this moves weight naturally.

This puts you in a semi stack and tilt position at the top of the back swing and definitely delivers the club down on plane! I couldn't believe the difference in consistency. My bad one now is if I either slightly get too steep on it or if I don't move the weight across on the downswing early enough and come a little heavy on it, this is not often at all though.

Give it a go.
You take lessons from girls???

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
Driver
I attempted S&T for the first time at the range last night. The first 3 were dreadful mishits like I was new to the game, but the next 47 were all really rather good! I actually ganied quite a bit of distance which I thought was something you were supposed to lose in place of added accuracy/consistency. I'll admit that it seemed very difficult to shape any shots other than the slightest fade/draw, but that doesn't really bother me as I only need more than that if I've done one a massive hook/slice off the tee and need another to get out of trouble - so logically, if I can't do one off the tee then I should be fine *crosses fingers*.

Initial thoughts are as follows:

Pros - Added distance (not insignificant either as my 155 carry 7iron carried 170 repeatedly)
Fewer wild left or right shots.

Cons - Feel is compromised (this might be just while I bed the technique in, but it seems a bit "all or nothing")
My left knee was aching a tad after just 50 balls, so I'm concerned about the longevity of the technique.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
OhBoy! said:
Brattz said:

Give it a go.
You take lessons from girls???
Shes a better golfer than everyone on here. What's the problem?
she is married to a pro and coaches 5-10 pros that I know of and she was the UK no1 amateur for 3 years before going pro herself. She is Pete Cowens former deputy...... now are you gonna be sexist?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I remember the magazine articles and ads on tv for teaching videos on S&T. It all faded pretty quickly here because there was one big complaint about it.

S&T requires a certain amount of athleticism and flexibility that most amateurs don't have. The concept of forcing more of a turn with so much less of a weight shift was more damaging to the knees and back when older people tried it.

Obviously, YMMV, but be careful...

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
Driver
DennisMiller said:
I remember the magazine articles and ads on tv for teaching videos on S&T. It all faded pretty quickly here because there was one big complaint about it.

S&T requires a certain amount of athleticism and flexibility that most amateurs don't have. The concept of forcing more of a turn with so much less of a weight shift was more damaging to the knees and back when older people tried it.

Obviously, YMMV, but be careful...
Turning is definitely easier - not quite completing the backswing turn previously wrecked lots of rounds for me, so the right leg straightening really eliminates that.

However, the strain on the left knee (for righties) is noticeable. I might begin wearing a brace on it as a preventative measure.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
Driver
I had another go at S&T last night, I'm quite a bit off doing all of the elements of it (in fairness it's rather a lot to remember), but if any of you know aboput it and would like to assist, then feel free to comment on this video (on here rather than youtube please, as long as that's ok with Mods)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r_7eb2jkA8

Top Bottom