Southern Events - 2018

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
I've been thinking about next year and how to improve the turnout for the southern events. Whilst the last couple of years have been great fun we were probably 5-10 players short of the ideal number.

Can people let me know their feelings about single day events? I'm quite keen on the idea of an early season (March / April) event with 27 holes, a nice 9 to warm up and then 18 for the title. Would 1 day and a slightly lower cost work favourably for people? We could then follow up with an end of season event as well maybe.

Let me know of thoughts / suggestions and any locations you fancy.

tonytim8

HCP
Local club/country
Essendon GC Herts
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5 - pw, 3 JPX 900 Rescue, MP T7 51 & MP T7 57. Putter: Evnroll ER2 Black
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 10.5 degree
Chris, I think that may be a good idea as numbers do seem to be falling.
Another weekend away just may be too much for some people. As anyone knows, it takes a lot of effort and commitment to organised events and is usually met with gripes along the way. It would be nice to have the Southern event supported as much as the Northern event. As someone who attends both events, I can honestly say that both North & South events are excellently organised, great fun, where I really looking forward to catching up with everyone. Single days or weekends these meets must carry on.l

There are lots of great venues around so thinking cap is on.

Tony :) 

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Chris, I raised this in another thread. Why don't we have multiple 1 day events through the year as a 'order of merit' and have a final weekend bash or top one day bash at the close in say September... would people be willing to 'host' a day at their club? I did that and people enjoyed the ease of a round, bite to eat and a pint all for less than £40...

This solves your one day jobs as people can organise their own day. You just need to set a calendar so people know when each one is.

As someone who organises a 32 man trip to France I can sympathise on the organisational issues. On the other hand we do our 7 day trip with 6 rounds of golf, villa, channel tunnel return and £30 prize money all for £480pp.... that is the value for money out there. £300 for 2 rounds and a nights stay despite including a meal is IMHO a little too steep unless it's at a world class venue (RSG, RCP, Princes, Belfry Brabazon, The Grove etc).

I'm happy to help if you wanted to formulate something :up:

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
The organisation of both the Northern and southern forum gold days is excellent, Both Chris and Jonathon have done themselves proud ,
 For me who has attended both it`s better for me to have it over a couple of days and within easy reach of airports, thats why the southern event is better for me, as I get cheap flights to gatwick or heathrow, . 
 one day comps with a order of merit  and a final is a good thing,  

Now that I have a job now am looking to hopefully attend both events next year and hope it`s around the north yorks area,

Stewart 

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
Its ok for you guys who actually live down South ,to have a 27 hole 1 day but for me to drive 3 -4 hrs play 27 holes and then drive back is a big no.Some might say stay overnight but that adds extra cost ,you are initially trying to avoid!I prefer the Stay 1 night 2 rounds concept but it has to be financially viable.If it were further North.ie: within 2 hrs then a single day could attract a few more from the Midlands/North forum members.And also for me it depends where Z decides to ask everyone to attend the Northern next year?

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
Preferred option would be two rounds over the two days but 27 in 1 wouldn't put me off. My golf wasn't up to much but I had an absolute blast last weekend. Thanks again Chris. I know MC and KM both enjoyed the the two days and dinner.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
a) Needs to be north of London (100%)
b) Stay 1 night, play 1 or 2 days

I drove to Scotland for northern meeting this year. Around 210 miles.

But there is a big difference driving 210 miles to Scotland and driving 210+ miles south of London where traffic is much heavier.

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
What about somewhere like the Warwickshire? Not far from Birmingham airpory....can you get reasonably priced flights to Birmingham Stewart?

GraemeJones

HCP
CONGU 3.9
Local club/country
http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons
JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*
Just got back from the Belfry one word ........Awesome 

Jonesy

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
I play there a bit and it's decent but not awesome. The PGA is the all round better course IMHO. The Brabazon is a great show course. It is just so expensive to eat and drink!!! £12 for a bacon sandwich and a pint..... £18 for a cheese toastie with chips and a pint :shock:

GraemeJones

HCP
CONGU 3.9
Local club/country
http://www.padeswoodgolfclub.com
Irons
JPX 900 TOUR 5-PW, PX 5.5 shafts Standard length 2 degrees upright Titleist SM6 wedges 52,58 degree TaylorMade Ghost Spider S Putter
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 Driver JPX 825 3Wood MP650 hybrid 22* FLI HI 18* 24*
Brattz said:
I play there a bit and it's decent but not awesome. The PGA is the all round better course IMHO. The Brabazon is a great show course. It is just so expensive to eat and drink!!! £12 for a bacon sandwich and a pint..... £18 for a cheese toastie with chips and a pint :shock:
Maybe it was awesome because it was all free haha

Jonesy

chrism_s

HCP
Local club/country
Brookmans Park GC, Herts
Irons
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3 & 4 | JPX 919 Tour 5-PW | S18 49/06 54/12 58/08 | KBS Tour X Stiff
Driver
TaylorMade M1 (2016) - Fujikura Pro 71 XLR8 Tour X
Thanks for the feedback all. Belfry is an interesting idea but is pricey, another suggestion is Forest of Arden, good tracks and a bit cheaper.

I'm working on some options, so watch this space!

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
chrism_s said:
Thanks for the feedback all. Belfry is an interesting idea but is pricey, another suggestion is Forest of Arden, good tracks and a bit cheaper.

Im stopping & playing at Forest of Arden in 2 weeks so can report back what its like at this time of year,

I've played there before and the Arden course is very good, Aylesford course is ok.

Hotel prices arent cheap, but cheaper than The Belfry.

I'm stopping as part of a weekend away for my anniverary so will get Mrs H to check out the Spa as well.

Hursty.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
hursty said:
chrism_s said:

Im stopping & playing at Forest of Arden in 2 weeks so can report back what its like at this time of year,

I've played there before and the Arden course is very good, Aylesford course is ok.

Hotel prices arent cheap, but cheaper than The Belfry.

I'm stopping as part of a weekend away for my anniverary so will get Mrs H to check out the Spa as well.

Hursty.
I concur with hursty about the course & the hotel - I went on a one night / two rounds deal about 5 years ago & my lasting memory (other than the Arden course being a real cracker) was that my mate refused to buy a beer when he heard what the price was, so he ordered a pot of tea - It cost him £6 odd & I nearly wet myself laughing so much :lol:
Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Play the Arden regularly. No where near as pricey as belfry. Spa is decent and the back nine on the Arden is superb. I play in the winter series there for £40 a time. Great venue and easy to get to.

hursty, it can be a bit wet this time of year around the greens but fairways usually fare well

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,

A few years ago when I was living in the uk, I won a fourball day and played with 3 mates at Mentmore golf and country Club . 2 great course, and a beautiful clubhouse,,, 

Is it within easy distance for foum members ? 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
Stewart 57 said:

A few years ago when I was living in the uk, I won a fourball day and played with 3 mates at Mentmore golf and country Club . 2 great course, and a beautiful clubhouse,,, 

Is it within easy distance for foum members ? 
Don't know if it's reopened but Mentmore went to pot a few years ago.

We were due to play a 36 hole comp there but it got cancelled at very short notice due to financial issues.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
It was nice to play this years event within driving distance of home, but as to future events, I prefer 2 rounds either side of one night accommodation, rather than 18 (or 27) holes in a day - Location-wise, I believe if the events is somewhere north of London more players will be inclined to travel down from the Midlands & the North (maybe even Scotland?)
Likewise, if the Northern Forum Day is closer to the Midlands, I believe more of us Southern Softies will be inclined to play as the initial journey will not be as penal (?)
Paul 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
PaulBoy said:
It was nice to play this years event within driving distance of home, but as to future events, I prefer 2 rounds either side of one night accommodation, rather than 18 (or 27) holes in a day - Location-wise, I believe if the events is somewhere north of London more players will be inclined to travel down from the Midlands & the North (maybe even Scotland?)
Likewise, if the Northern Forum Day is closer to the Midlands, I believe more of us Southern Softies will be inclined to play as the initial journey will not be as penal (?)
Paul 
You then basically have 2 Midlands events though?

Im based in the midlands so would benefit from either, however, personally i think the 2 events should be kept as "Northern" & "Southern"

The traditional 2 rounds, 1 night stop for North & South Champs with a 1 day "meet" for West & East Mids to fill the gaps between the May (North) & Sept (South) comps?

Geographically based on Leeds and above, Oxford and below, Nottingham as the centre as per my childish use of paint below......

Just a thought............ 

Attachments

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
hursty said:
PaulBoy said:
Paul 
You then basically have 2 Midlands events though?

Im based in the midlands so would benefit from either, however, personally i think the 2 events should be kept as "Northern" & "Southern"

The traditional 2 rounds, 1 night stop for North & South Champs with a 1 day "meet" for West & East Mids to fill the gaps between the May (North) & Sept (South) comps?

Geographically based on Leeds and above, Oxford and below, Nottingham as the centre as per my childish use of paint below......

Just a thought............ 
I did say "closer to the Midlands" i.e. not as far north as Scotland, but based on your excellent "retro" map, in the North area - I attended the 2015 one near Liverpool & that was doable even for me (an old geezer with a dodgy spine!)
Paul

Top Bottom