HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Until my shoulder is, in the opinion of my orthopedic surgeon, completely healed, I'm using a set of Cobra single length irons, so I swing a bit more around me with the short irons and avoid as much shock from taking a divot as possible. Since I'm so tall, the idea actually fits me fairly well. My fitting sessions have all suggested I get clubs about 2" longer than standard. Where that matters most to me is in the short irons.

I wonder if the idea will catch on and other club makers will make single length irons. Obviously, I hope to heal sooner or later so I can get back to my 900 Hot Metal irons, but I sure wish Mizuno would make a set of single length irons.

What do the rest of you think of the single length concept? Is it a passing fad that is totally dependent on the success of Bryson Dechambeau, or is there valid science behind it that the market might adopt on a wider basis?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Interesting stuff Dennis - I haven't even seen a set of these, but the way the set Dechambeau looks puts me off in the first place - Maybe the mass produced version will be a bit more appealing? - What was interesting were Greg Norman's comments recently when in the commentary booth at his pairs event in the US, he said that if he was just starting to play now, he would definitely start with a set of single length irons - The main reason being that they keep your spine angle the same for each iron - He didn't elaborate as to why that was a major factor (avoiding injury perhaps?) but he obviously thinks highly of them ...
Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
We have one member who uses Single Length clubs. He bought some "Tom Wishon Sterling" clubs after he sold the business to "Diamond Golf" http://www.diamondgolf.co.uk/home-2/product-types-2/heads/irons/sterling-irons/ . He intially had a few problems trying to decide his set make up but went 5 hybrid then 6-PW , I can't remember which wedges he uses but they wern't sterling. He thinks they are great clubs and with the lessons he has had he seems to be doing well with them.
Tom Wishon did a Q&A on the idea a while ago
http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It's funny and a bit embarrassing that I haven't noticed something. The Cobra irons are all as long as a standard 7 iron. My JPX900 Hot Metals are 1" extra long, so the equivalent means the Cobras are the same length as the 9 iron of my Mizuno set. While the one length concept may be valid technology and makes sense to me as someone with a surgically repaired shoulder, the reality is, I only have 2 Mizunos that are actually shorter than the Cobras. Thus, while I thought I was swinging around myself more, thanks to the design of the club, in fact I probably wasn't doing anything but making a subconscious swing change to protect myself.

So, I repacked my Mizuno bag and I'll play Monday morning with them again. If I can make a protective swing with one set, I can certainly do it with another.

I won't sell the Cobra clubs right away, waiting to see whether a friend who is visiting me next month is interested in them, but if he's not interested, out they go.

Man, I feel foolish...

Top Bottom