HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Hi

Has anyone else had problems with rust spots appearing on the face of their clubs? I got my MP53's a week ago and have noticed rust spots on the face of the PW and 6iron. Mizuno want me to send them back for inspection, which is going to leave me without clubs for a while. Not good. Ive attached a photo for reference.

Attachments

Ash1974

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor Resort
Re: MP53's rusting after a week!!

Do you clean them, because from the look of that photo it looks like you don't?

Do you use head covers for your irons?

I clean mine after every round with a nylon brush and mild soapy water, then dry them off with a towel.

No rust spots on any of my 53s and they are a few months old and been played plenty of times in the rain recently :)

Dasher390

HCP
Local club/country
Moonah Links - Victoria - Australia http://www.moonahlinks.com.au
Irons
PX EZ 2/16 HybridJPX EZ 3/19 Hybrid,JPX EZ Irons 4-PW,JPX SERIES 50/54/58 Wedges & Odyssey WH 8# Mid Shaft Putter
Driver
JPX EZ 9.5 Driver, NEO bag.

Were these clubs brand new, if so that is a problem?

db.

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno MP62 4-PW, Mizuno MP T5 52, 58 wedges
Driver
Ping G30 / Titleist 913 D2

I don't clean my mp62's very often (maybe 5 times in the last year), and they are perfect. I do not store them away wet though, I leave them out to dry and wipe them over.

That doesn't look good after 1 week though!!!

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2

Clubs are brand new and only a week old!! Yes I clean them with a towel after most shots, the picture taken was at the end of a round so obviously they are not spotless. Dont use iron covers. Never have done in the past and have never seen this problem before.

Did play 1 round in the rain, however that should not be an excuse for clubs to rust a week after taking out the wrappers.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood

Just on one club - or whole set?

Very abrasive bunker material? On rare occassions have heard of greenkeepers using a different chemical that has an impact.

Or you could just be very unlucky with faulty chrome.

Best bet is to send them back to us.

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2

Thanks MPX. So far its the 6 iron and PW that have the rust spots, neither of which ive hit out a bunker yet so cant be that!!

How long will it take Mizuno to review? I really cant afford to be without these clubs for long. I presume once Mizuno have them back that they will prioritise replacements where necessary?

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G

Hi, I had a similar thing happen with my 53's, I can only put it down to small bits of grit or similar on the ball and damp conditions. I use head covers but now clean my clubs as they come in & out of my bag, also a bit of TLC with WD40 helps. The main problem as I see it is the use of soft metal in the heads, it is part of trade off for such wonderful feel. As I say cleaning and a bit of TLC and the clubs will look after themselves and you.

dave1803

Local club/country
Galgorm Castle Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno MP 53 4-PW, MP T11 52 Deg, all fitted with Project X 5.5 shafts, Vokey 56 Deg, MP T10 60 Deg both fitted with DG Wedge Flex Shaft, All irons and wedges blue/black multi compound grips
Driver
Ping G15 10.5 TFC 149 Reg, Titleist 909 F2 18.5 Diamana Blue Reg, TaylorMade Rossa Daytona

Its happening my 8 iron too.. only after 3 or 4 weeks :(

jonbek

HCP
Local club/country
Heaton Moor GC, Stockport UK
Irons
Mizuno mp18 sc
Driver
Titleist 917 d2

I'll be furious if this happens to mine that I've just ordered.

Pim

HCP
Local club/country
Netherlands
Irons
MP 53 KBS stiff - T-11 51/56/60 KBS high rev stiff.
Driver
R7 TP / Titleist 910H 19/25
How to avoid rust?

My 2 week old mp53's ain't rusting but I did hit a stone in one of the waste area's which left me with a hugh dent on the botton of my six iron(I removed the visable stones, sadly this one was underground :().

butters!

HCP
Local club/country
united states
Irons
mizuno mp-53 5-pw dynamic gold s300
Driver
cleveland launcher 10 stiff

ouch!

ChuckD

HCP
Local club/country
Sydney
Irons
MP59 KBS Tour, MP T4 50, MP-T10 54, MP-T 58
Driver
Callaway Octane Tour 9.5 ProLaunch Red Xstiff

This seems to be a continuing theme, particularly with the new models. I have just gone through a very wet and cold week here, I have irons covers and my clubs are always in the boot of my car unless I take them out for cleaning. No signs of rust, even on my wedges which are starting to show signs of wear.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,

both my t11 wedges have rust spots on them. the jpx pros are totally fine.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

It's also worth giving them a gentle rub with the standard WD40. Remember someone else doing the same and the spots went.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver

From the factory - translated quickly.

"if no moisture / dampness exists, no rusting can develop. With grit damage to the face, rust can show up - if not completely dry.

If you pierce the surface of the chrome, even tiny pin points can show rusting - in a short time.

To get rid of the rust, a pan scourer will do the job. Avoid brillo pads - just the sponge type.

Then, dry and wipe over with WD40 or, even veg oil to keep the moisture away"

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter

I know it's not pleasant to have rust spots on irons that you have only had a few weeks, but to be fair to Mizuno every set comes with a small leaflet that does explain about club maintenance. Many of us are guilty of throwing this away, I know I have in the past. I'll quote what it says;

"Inappropriate care of this product may lead to the development of rust spots and blemishes-particularly with grain flow forged irons. To best maintain the appearance of Mizuno woods and irons;

-Remove headcovers after playing (irons only)
-Keep the cavity and grooves dry with a soft towel
-Apply a thin coat of lubricant oil to the club heads
-Avoid storage in extreme temperatures

Mizuno equipment is guaranteed for one year from date of purchase against manufacturing faults. The guarantee does not cover damage caused by misuse,accidents or normal wear and tear"

So there you go. I apologies to any forum members who already do this sort of maintenance regurlarly. Common sense really.

HCP
Local club/country
Cochrane Castle
Irons
MP53's 4-PW
Driver
Titelist 910D2
Clubs are back at Mizuno now for inspection. Will feedback on their response.

Villiers - ive had the clubs for one week and the rust spots had appeared which im sure you will agree is not acceptable.

MPX - Any reason why my original subject heading has been changed to this new one??

Villiers1

HCP
Local club/country
Pay & Play
Irons
JPX825 6-PW
Driver
Titleist 913D2 9.5, 913FD Fairway, Fli-Hi 3,4 & 5,JPX 50,56,T-4 60/05,MPTA301Putter
I agree in your case I'd be pissed off as well. The maintenance post was not to you personally but just letting all know really, just to stop guys panicking who have had clubs a lot longer.

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
MP18-SC 4-PW; MMC FLI_HI 2 Iron; MP T7 50, 55, 60
Driver
Driver: Titleist 915 D3; 3W: TM M3
There's another thread going on about rusting JPX Pro's - I enclose my post on that below.

The rust spots I got on my MX300's and MPT-10's just appeared out of nowhere - non one day, there the next after a wet round of golf.

I do heartily recommed Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning off the rust spots if they do appear and - as said by others - the occasional squirt of Wd40 (but always wipe off afterwards!).
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I started getting minor rust spots on my previous set of MX-300's (very similar to JPX Pro) and MPT-10 wedges.

I too used headcovers (to reduce clatter), but always removed them after playing and wiped/dried before storage. Never put the covers back on until leaving to play next time. Still got rust spots.

I cleaned my heads up with Bar Keepers Friend to remove 99% of the visible rust (it was minor to start with) and then stopped using headcovers. No more rusting!

DO NOT USE HEADCOVERS FULL STOP is my advice.

Top Bottom