Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I was slightly surprised not to find anything about this on here:

http://www.randa.org/RulesModernisation

Most of it seems good to me except for allowing courses to determine woods and whatnot to be similar to current lateral water hazards, allowing the pin to be kept in when putting.

It's a great time to study these as I'm participating in level two referee course next week and I should know the current rules in the test. :D

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
Much of it from what I have seen is around speeding up play, so only looking for balls for 3 mins, dropping balls from 1 inch rather than shoulder height which needs a couple goes as it bounces and rolls back into the water ;)

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
The main one is missing......

The one rule everyone wants to be introduced is relief from a divot on the fairway

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
I used to agree re the divot issue but did once hear a good counter argument. How do you define a divot? I know they could provide a definition but is there a danger that marginal cases become subjective? I might say slightly brushed/bare fairway is a divot and you might disagree. Could people abuse such a rule (and yes, I'm sure we all know, or have heard of, members who currently take a fairly liberal interpretation of the rules). 

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
DMT said:
I used to agree re the divot issue but did once hear a good counter argument. How do you define a divot? I know they could provide a definition but is there a danger that marginal cases become subjective? I might say slightly brushed/bare fairway is a divot and you might disagree. Could people abuse such a rule (and yes, I'm sure we all know, or have heard of, members who currently take a fairly liberal interpretation of the rules). 
Preferred lies on all fairways, play as it lies off the fairway.

Not something I particularly would like to see but would get rid of the is it a divot or not question.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
Makes a lot of sense hurtsy. (And one day soon I'll work out how to embed prior messages!). 

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Brattz said:
The main one is missing......

The one rule everyone wants to be introduced is relief from a divot on the fairway
The divot relief would get my vote & I have another ... If your ball goes into a bunker full of water & you can't drop in the bunker, you incur a penalty - I know you're not supposed to go in bunkers, but it's not your fault its full of water ...
On the changes they have made ... Why say you can drop from an inch? - Why not allow placing?
Paul

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
DMT said:
Makes a lot of sense hurtsy. (And one day soon I'll work out how to embed prior messages!). 
Click on the quote button at top right of message :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
hursty said:
DMT said:
Preferred lies on all fairways, play as it lies off the fairway.

Not something I particularly would like to see but would get rid of the is it a divot or not question.
In my opinion preferred lies moves the game too far away from what I consider to be the whole idea of the game - playing the ball as it lies. You hit the ball somewhere, you play it out or pay a penalty for some help (outside of environment and constructions that require protection from the players). It would change the game drastically while offering a fix to a very rare problem.

If it were relief from divots only, you'd put everyone else at a disadvantage of not getting to choose from where to play their next shots. Not to mention the problems already mentioned from defining a divot and people wasting time trying to figure out whether their ball is in one or not.

I'd also worry that if you allowed relief from divots, people would be less inclined to repair them to the best of their abilities and the course conditions in general would suffer.

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
Driver
I don't think players would be more inclined to not repair divots if relief was given from them.

As another scenario,

You're in the final of your Club matchplay, it's all square on the 18th, you hit a cracking drive down the centre of the fairway your opponent pulls one left into the rough.

You walk upto your ball and are in a divot so deep that only the top half of the ball is showing, your opponent walks to his ball and is lying in an area that has been marked as GUR, under new rules he can now drop it from 1" height (virtually setting up a lie).

How is this fair?

Like I said previously I don't agree with the preferred lies on all fairways option but definitely think the relief from divots rule needs looking at.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
hursty said:
How is this fair?

Like I said previously I don't agree with the preferred lies on all fairways option but definitely think the relief from divots rule needs looking at.
You are probably right about fixing divots, it's a fear without a proper reason for it. Those who fix divot holes or try to minimize their effect would continue to do so and those who don't just don't care. I do wish people who end up in divots would learn from the experience though and start doing their part.

Ending up in a divot is not fair but I can't see an obvious solution to it (except for hunting down the person who doesn't replace a beaver pelt). In the long run though I believe luck will even out (even in a single match), maybe there was some bounces going your way earlier on etc. Sometimes it can't be known if you had a very lucky escape from a terrible bounce as that terrible bounce didn't happen.

The next problem would be with requiring all bad breaks to be considered equal. One might consider the rest of my ramblings a bit of a hyperbole but that's just how I see things.

For example you hit your approach shot into a greenside bunker. Someone has left the rake inside the bunker, just on the outer edge. Your ball comes to rest against the rake. Had the rake not been there, the ball would've rolled to a nice lie at the bottom of the bunker but now you have a very difficult, downhill bunker shot. The worst case is you need to take a penalty stroke because you can't replace the ball nor find another spot where the ball would come to rest in the bunker in a spot not nearer the hole.

A bunker is a hazard and you shouldn't expect a good lie in one but in both cases the cause was purely a player who didn't care for the course or other players on it. From my experience the latter is also the more common occurrence.

I should probably explain that over here rakes should be placed in the bunker but so that they cause as little problems as possible. That is perpendicular to the direction of play so that balls can roll under them and at the bottom/center of the bunker but people are too lazy and leave them on the edges and even partially outside.

Thus fix the divot issue and there will be ten other issues waiting in line and I can't see it being fair to fix one bad bounce but not others. I know you haven't voiced an opinion on that bit but that's the required, next step for me if you allow relief from divots. Even if you figure out all such situations, you're still stuck with the elements - the greatest problem of them all when it comes to fairness in a tournament setting.

Golf isn't fair on a shot-by-shot basis nor is it ever easy. From a rules point of view though and how I see playing the ball as it lies as an essential (and even romantic, dare I say) part of the game, even in the face of adversity, I prefer coping with the bad luck and keeping the rules more simple. The best solution is to push people to take better care of the course and be more considerate towards others.

Local club/country
none
Halebopp , i tend to agree with you. You touch your ball when you tee it up and take it from the cup. Of course for a penalty from or relief as well.

I am inclined to think that if you are going to start introducing things like relief from divots , it becomes a never ending story.
We can then add the 2 minutes saved on ball searching to the divot discussions. One step forward and two steps back.

What has happened to the idea of living with the good and bad breaks golf gives us? Never ever hear someone complaining when they get a good break. You should be giving those back then , or not?

All of life is like golf .......bunkers and fairways, bunkers and fairways

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
To fix the divots, pitchmarks and unraked bunkers problem, I'd happily support offenders getting twazzocked across the back of the head for each offence. I've been lectured to in the past for being in the club house in jeans (I was picking up my sozzled old man and he needed persuading to leave) or being a junior in the bar, the offending gimp (same bloke) never raked a bunker in his life and as for pitchmarks but would moan about etiquette pretty much non-stop. He'd routinely walk on people's line on the green and always seemed to have a cough develop at the top of your backswing if you were playing well. Since I've moved over here, the 3 clubs I've been members of, have all had similar "characters".

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
We've come a long way from here, the first rules of golf.  http://www.leith-rules-golf.co.uk/theoriginalrules.htm

Golf was played on a stretch of land less than a 5 iron from where I sit and type this. Leith Links was one of the founding places of our game. The game has evolved and so have the rules and they will no doubt continue to do so in the future.

Have a read and see how it used to be ;) 

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The new Rules should be out next month. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews held a rules workshop for the higher ups a week ago. There's no information on what the Rules will be but apparently there will be, at least, relaxation on what a player can do in hazards and when searching for a ball.

They certainly seem to take their teaching seriously, creating a bunker inside a hotel. I do wonder if they had a water hazard in another room. :D

Top Bottom