One Thing About Mizuno That Annoys Me...

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
I'm a Mizuno fanatic! My bag is full of Mizuno clubs and I have a collection of Mizuno accessories: pitch mark repairer, cuff links, hats, towels, luggage, socks, hat clip & ball marker, sunglasses, etc, etc...

However, one thing really bothers me...

Why have Mizuno got such a lack of "BIG" name golfers in their stable? I mean Luke Donald was the man for a while, but whilst I still respect him greatly, he isn't exactly setting the heather on fire is he? Then there are the ones Mizuno can't keep a hold of - like Soren Kjeldson who's now with Cleveland, and doing rather well this season.

WHY?? It is no big secret that Mizuno make the best forged clubs on the market, and yet why does Nike, Taylor Made, Callaway, etc, get all the big guns??

I mean - even Yonex have Monty, Wilson have Paddy - C'mon Mizuno, I want to brag about more than my clubs, I want to be using the same kit as the big guns do!!

What is it with the Mizuno sponsorship policy??

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Recent Tour winner Daniel Vanczik is also a Mizzy player.

I assume the answer is that the big volume brands have a lot more marketing spend. I also think that most Mizuno club players don't really care. Some people might buy Nike because Tiger uses Nike. Little do they know how different the stuff on the shelves is from the stuff Tiger plays.

Course, word is that the Titleists he used after turning pro were direct copies of his previous Mizzys, and his current Nikes are copies of those.

Local club/country
Chilliwack British Columbia Canada
Irons
MP Fli Hi #4, MP-32 (5-PW), MP-T Wedges (51*, 56* and 60*)
Driver
TaylorMade R7 SuperQuad TP
IMHO, Mizuno is one brand that allows its products' performance to speak for themselves. If "tee up money" were forbidden, I believe Mizuno would be the brand of irons that most golfers play.

HCP
Local club/country
Kwinana Perth Western Australia
Irons
MP-57 4-PW IS2 tour spec stiff MPT 51/56/60 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MP 630 fast track MP 3 and 5 woods Fubuki shafts
No mizuno has got it right let the likes of callaway and such have big name players and let them have to sell thousand of mass produced poor quality controlled crap to pay them (I know I must have payed some of Ernie's,Phil's and I think Stuart Appleby was enticed over to them at the thought of me trying to buy my way out of another slump). but no more have a set of mp57 irons with tour spec graphite shafts that are going to be in my bag for years to come and I don't care what touring pro does or doesn't use them.
Trevor

jetta1967

HCP
Local club/country
Kirkcudbright
Irons
MP60
Driver
MacGregor NVG 2
Mizuno say that they could spend millions on having "big name" tour players, but to pay for that their clubs would be a lot more expensive (forging processes etc are very expensive) for us to buy. They would rather keep their clubs more affordable to the buying public than to have "big stars" on their books. Hats off to them!!!!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
I appreciate what the posters are saying here and agree to a certain extent (especially the comment about if there was no sponsorship money most would play Mizzy) - but I still think Mizzy should have some big names in their stable!

hvcarvalho

HCP
Local club/country
www.xiragolfe.pt
Irons
Mizuno, JPX 825 2h&3h + MX-300 4-P + MP-T10
Driver
Mizuno MP 630 FT 10,5ª Fubuki Reg
I've been talking to a Mizuno rep and he told me that appart from the policy of not giving away big bucks in order to have a competitive price for their products Mizuno also has a different sponsorship policy, Mizuno will pay their tour players a percentage of the money they make on tour instead of a "pay to play" policy.

Probably the two combined explain why Mizuno doesn't have more big stars.

dave_giz

HCP
Increasing
Local club/country
None curently
Irons
MP18 SC's along with MP S-18 wedges 52 & 58.
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 driver and 3 wood.
I agree that the clubs speak for themselves, but just look how much more successful the clubs became after they signed Faldo up and enjoyed all his success. I really think they could do with at least one "big name" player, however I think there is also a Mizuno player 'style', it shouldn't really be someone really brash and loud, more an intellectual golfer which implies that the clever golfers use Mizuno.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I'm quite glad that there isn't the same "Big Name Star" approach that some other manufacturers employ. How many units do they have to sell to pay for all the comercial contracts that they have with these players ?

I'm happy with the fact that Mizuno are making a quality product and I'm able to buy that product at a reasonable price. Look at some of the rrps of the other manufacturers models in the big stores and you can see just how silly the whole process is.

I wonder how much money Nike and TM have spent on raising the profile of their products. how much does the punter in the shop have to pay to make up for that ?

that said, I do think Luke Donald will perform a bit better as this year progresses. he has a bit of confidence about him now, so....

Lord of the Divots

HCP
Local club/country
Kedleston Park GC, England
Irons
Mizuno MX 200, nippon ns pro 1150GH tour reg., 1* up, std. length
Driver
Titleist 909 D2 10.5, Diamana BB reg.
i agree with dave to an extent..i think that mizuno as a brand is in a different league to others like TM because it stands more for the classy, pure performance, traditional type golfer who likes to keep things simple and effective. For instance, mizuno irons are so good because they are FORGED while brands like TM try to make a cast club seem forged...why not just cut the c**p.
i think that the quality of a product speaks volumes and the likes of TM aren't anywhere near to Mizuno

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Lord of the Divots said:
i agree with dave to an extent..i think that mizuno as a brand is in a different league to others like TM because it stands more for the classy, pure performance, traditional type golfer who likes to keep things simple and effective. For instance, mizuno irons are so good because they are FORGED while brands like TM try to make a cast club seem forged...why not just cut the c**p.
i think that the quality of a product speaks volumes and the likes of TM aren't anywhere near to Mizuno
There's no doubt that you're right! Mizuno are a class above pretty much all of the other major OEM's - however that was NOT what this thread was about!!

It was about why the bigger named players are not Mizuno staffers! I think that despite the high profile that Mizuno already has in the industry - it could only be improved if one or two of the bigger names played Mizuno like to olden days when Faldo was THE MAN!!

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
I really don't care who plays or doesn't play the irons I play. All a tour players name does is bring up the price of the equipment we purchase.. I would rather pay less and get more.. Not pay more and get less..

Player input is important on how to improve a club - but that is about it.. IMHO

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
anchorpags said:
I really don't care who plays or doesn't play the irons I play. All a tour players name does is bring up the price of the equipment we purchase.. I would rather pay less and get more.. Not pay more and get less..

Player input is important on how to improve a club - but that is about it.. IMHO
Basic Marketing!! The bigger the players - the bigger the sales!! As much as I am a fan of non exploitation of the consumer, I would argue that Mizuno clubs are NOT that much cheaper than most other brands. I have no argument in terms of quality of product, however, if the brand awareness isn't there (via marketing) the brand will dissapear!! That is the unfortunate reality. Mizuno could become a connoisseur's club like Miura - only available in small numbers to the more discerning customer for an exorbitant price!!

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
Deemac said:
anchorpags said:

Basic Marketing!! The bigger the players - the bigger the sales!! As much as I am a fan of non exploitation of the consumer, I would argue that Mizuno clubs are NOT that much cheaper than most other brands. I have no argument in terms of quality of product, however, if the brand awareness isn't there (via marketing) the brand will dissapear!! That is the unfortunate reality. Mizuno could become a connoisseur's club like Miura - only available in small numbers to the more discerning customer for an exorbitant price!!

I have been hearing "too big to fail" alot in the USA. What do Bigger sales really translate into. More Profit for the company - Maybe? Better equipment for the consumer - Maybe?

Did you ever eat at a Resturant that never advertises - but is always busy.. Someone happens to tell you about the excellent food.. Word of mouth is the best marketing / advertisement.

Marketing correctly is important I agree. Paying Tour Players is one only one form of marketing and dollar for dollar may not be the best return on investment.

FALDO where are you!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Your resturant analogy is flawed because the type of resturants you are referring to are rarely - if ever - multi national!! They are the decent little eatery round the corner that all the people living in the neighbourhood like to go to.

Mizuno, however, is a multi national company, and as such has a huge appetite for gross turnover. In my opinion, this can only be enhanced by more exposure through the people who are supposed to be good at this game - i.e. proffessionals!!

Whilst you and I are content to know that Mizuno makes the best equipment, word of mouth just doesn't cut it as a marketing tool for a company as large as Mizuno. MOST average golfers want to play what the big guns are playing!

My analogy of Miura for example - arguably a better forging even than Mizuno, but who plays them?? Perhaps the one or two equipment geeks who know about them (and Tiger who reportedly gets his Nike paterns forged by Miura).

Don't get my rants confused with someone who is anti-Mizuno, FAR from it, in fact, I reckon I'm one of their most ardent fanatics and wouldn't consider using anything else - however - I find it frustrating that the quality of the Mizuno brand is not more publicly proclaimed through sponsorship.

When you have such a great product you should shout it from the rooftops!! Mizuno, don't seem to do that (IMHO).

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
To be honest, I would take a set of MacGregors Build by Don White over my Mizunos anyway. But MacGregor is no more - at least in the sense of now being controled / owned by a retailer.

Mizuno would be better served by putting the clubs in the hands of local pros. Putting the local traching pro on staff. My teaching pro was "sponsered" by Adams, now by Titleist. He would sell the snot out of the clubs.

Club Members would see that the local pro used the clubs and the members would in turn would purchase - what their teacher recommends. The local Teaching pros were paid with free goods for themselves and discounts on other goods. So using Teaching Pro's might be more benefit then Touring Pros - to spread the word..

But anyway..

Terry

HCP
Local club/country
Queensland
Irons
Lefty MP 60 ,5/pw,NS pro,950 gh reg , titleist 910 15,g30 18, g30 22,Tseries wedge. ,Ping Scottsdale
Driver
Jpx ez ,S xlr8,10.5 fade
I have to agree with Deemac on this. I want someone hot to take interest in in US PGA who uses my clubs. From my position I rekon Top pros will only use the best so as to ensure they have every chance so whats the matter with the Mizuno product?
Of course we all really know that the Pro will go for the best price provided there is no disadvantage in doing so.
Had a look at latest published financials for Mizuno and adidas.
Mizuno Golf division took big hit while adidas golf (TM) were only adidas segment to make increase profit.
I think it may be time to Mizuno HO to invest some money and get some top Staffers . Some good brands have disappeared because of lack of Marketing even though product tops. eg Orlimar

HCP
Local club/country
Izaak Walton GC, England
Irons
Mizuno JPX800 Pro 5- PW all 2 upright +, Mizuno MP T10 wedges 52+56 + Ping Redwood ZB
Driver
Titleist 909 10.5 D2 Diamana Blue/Mizuno MP630 4 Wood and Taylormade Burner 22*
At a recent testing day I was told by the Mizuno rep that Montgomery has been trying Mizuno whilst still associated with Yonex .....I don't know how true this is but it makes you think how many play with Mizuno but not known to us for contractual reasons?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
ken-thewizard said:
At a recent testing day I was told by the Mizuno rep that Montgomery has been trying Mizuno whilst still associated with Yonex .....I don't know how true this is but it makes you think how many play with Mizuno but not known to us for contractual reasons?
I think this used to be the case with many tour pros, but nowadays the fans are more discerning and can spot clubs a mile away. The other way round this is to get a decent manufacturer to make the clubs and the sponsor puts their stamp on them, but Mizzy won't forge someone else's pattern like some others would.

Miura - he makes Tiger's clubs and Nike stamp them - but Tiger used Mizzy from day one when he was a wee laddie.

It would just be good to see some of the more recognisable names bagging Mizzy stuff - it IS the best around!!!

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Driver
I had heard about 6 -8 years ago, that Wilson in the USA were forging Irons for other companies..

Top Bottom