Old irons

EddieF

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MX200 5-gw
Regardless of whether or not I can afford new irons, I still love the feel of my MX200s, bought in 2010, along with my MP-T10 wedges. If I can hit them good, maybe could use some more distance, at age 64, would these irons be too old? Any of you gaming old irons? And also, back then I played on avg 28 rounds, until 2016ish, then maybe played only a few times since. Yet I do go to the driving range. Would my wedges grooves still be good, since I am no pro?
I am also wondering if by reshafting my irons, I might gain more distance. I hit carry my 8 iron most times 135.
Thanks in advance.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Your MP T-10 wedges will be fine at least until 2024. As for your irons, you might gain more distance from different shafts but you should probably go to a demo day or do the SwingDNA test to see which shafts would suit you and how far off from that your current ones are.

Considering the cost of re-shafting, you might be better off buying used clubs with the right shafts and selling the 200s rather than have them redone.

EddieF

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MX200 5-gw
Thanks for the reply.
Am strapped for cash currently. And since I haven't golfed much the past few years, I would wait anyway. Will play as many rounds as I can, and driving range, to get my swing in tact. No sense in spending that money on new irons, or re-shafting, since if my swing is off, the money will be wasted. Besides if anything. And I think driver technology has come along more than irons(?). I have an old Ping G10, so I might be better upgrading that.

EddieF

Local club/country
USA
Irons
MX200 5-gw
As for older used irons, would the MP-57s still be a good iron, compared to today's? Only reason I ask is because they are so beautiful, even compared to what's out there now. And will be less expensive than the MP20s too.

Top Bottom